Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Backtracking: Easter + Settling In


Hi! We (my roommate, Randall, is a friend from work) don’t have internet at the new apartment (!) so posting/commenting will be sporadic til we figure out what’s going to happen. Gotta say, it’s kind of refreshing to not be so hooked up and it’s giving me more time to read and write on my own stuff (aka ZINE), but I do miss you guys, though it looks like Greg is keeping you entertained.
Anyway, the new aparto is da best.
Some shots of the kitchen, obvi the best room in any house.

Easter was pretty much the first day after we had settled in, and I wasn’t quite sure what utensils we had so I didn’t contribute much to the meal. My mom texted me Easter morning, “Please figure out something to do with broccoli – I have so much!” I eyed my (far too substantial) cookbook collection

and the first thing that came to mind was the easy and pleasing 40 clove Chickpea and Broccoli from Appetite for Reduction.
I ran to the nearby grocery store (one of many! Oh Queens! I foresee way fewer hauls from Whole Foods) and made the dish at the folks’ house.
 It was a small gathering of friends and family, which was nice and low key and unlike Thanksgiving or Christmas we didn’t overdo the food (ie no five different pies) but I had a satisfying plate. After snacking on hummus, grape tomatoes, bell pepper strips, and crackers BUT NOT THESE CHIPS THAT HAVE WHEY IN THEM despite looking safe,

I had a plate of steamed root vegetables (parsnip, carrot, cauliflower, leek),

the chickpea/broccoli dish, 


and snap peas in sesame oil.


Omnis had other choices about which we will not speak. For dessert, I had strawberries (cooked and fresh) that omnis ate with pound cake and whipped cream.
Despite not going out of my way to prepare food I could eat, I didn’t feel deprived and was able to not stuff myself (aka make more room for Champagne.)
When I got home, had a couple pieces of dessert #2.


For those of you worried about how Haxan dealt with the move, here she is, unhappily caged in the moving van but she’s settled in and found her favorite sun spots.

She even got a cat tent the other day (aka laundry day when my sheets didn’t dry properly.)

Speaking of laundry, the Washateria across the street has wi-fi. Either I will work out a schedule of wash day/coffee shop wifi/folks’ house/Greg’s house (eh Greg?? You can play Silent Hill and I’ll leave you alone) to post or we will eventually get internet and THEN WE CAN ALL BE TOGETHER AGAIN. Til we meet again, eat some vegan food for me.

34 comments:

  1. Gorgeous kitchen! And I am seriously jealous of your cookbook collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But moving made me realize HOW HEAVY they are :/

      Delete
  2. Your new kitchen is sooooo pretty!!! And I've been wanting to try that AFR broccoli & chickpea recipe forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made as much as I'd like to from AFR but have made that one at least 3 times! It's so good and simple.

      Delete
  3. Ahh I love your new kitchen! It is so bright and homey :) That is such an impressive cookbook collection! Methinks I'm a little jealous. I'm so glad that you are happy in your new place! I didn't realize you were moving to Queens, that's great! Hope you enjoy it :) What part if you don't mind me asking?

    Really great looking Easter eats! The broccoli dish looks so good. Broccoli is so delicious and garlic makes life better :)

    Ahhh, Haxan! So freaking adorable, love the lounging pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very bright; it gets great light.
      We're in Ridgewood, so technically we're only one block over the Brooklyn border in Queens but it makes a huge (good) difference.
      The garlic is amazing in that dish! It cooks down really nicely.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are settling! Moving is the pits, but it's always so nice once you're in and unpacked. And I hear you about the internet. Anytime I move and am without it for a bit, it can be pretty refreshing, but then I start to miss the www.

    What is it with kitty's and tents? My babycat started camping out underneath the chair where I plopped my winter coat (basically as big as your sheet---MN winters!). It was like her own clubhouse fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats and tents are like cats and boxes: inexplicably perfect for each other.
      That sounds like one hell of a coat!

      Delete
  5. Happy house warming! It is nice to be unplugged for a while & I don't blame you for enjoying it, but your presence is definitely missed. :)

    Your kitchen looks bright & cheery. It reminds me a bit of the kitchen in our first house. I miss it!

    Your Easter food sounds pretty nice and I adore the sheet tent that Haxan got for a while. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, molly, we're enjoying our settling in. miss you all too!

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear you've found a cozy place to live that you really like. The Internet thing will sort itself out at some point and you'll be posting the stuff that comes out of your new kitchen and giving us tours of the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I feel so much more relaxed here! A Queens tour is certainly in order.

      Delete
  7. Easter???? How long ago was that?

    No internet, no washer/dryer, sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's why some people live in Virginia.

      Delete
  8. Hooray! You are all settled into your new spot. It looks great, and I'm glad you are considering a system for WiFi accessibility. ;) All of the eats look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my system is lo-fi but I'll make it work!

      Delete
  9. Look at that beautiful gigantic stove! Hooray apartment! And I totally have a big bag of snap peas just sitting in the crisper waiting around--they could absolutely use some sesame oil (and maybe toasted seeds?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know as well as anyone how sad NYC apartments can be. I'm thrilled this one has a window! And counter space!
      Sesame oil is ALWAYS on my grocery list but I NEVER remember to buy it. So delicious though.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your new apartment, it looks so nice! How cool is that cooker?! That's a great size, I hope you have many happy times there :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. moving into a great place is nice, isn't it? I hope so too, thank you!

      Delete
  12. What a great apt- made only moreso by Haxan's tent!

    Not sure how I've missed that recipe in AFR...maybe since I doubt I have 40 cloves?

    Is your commute awful now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may keep the tent up permanently.
      The 40 clove recipe technically only calls for 10 but more never hurts :)
      The commute is actually better! I'm two stops closer to the city than my old place with an additional train option!

      Delete
    2. I had no idea! Good for you :-)

      Delete
  13. I'm a few days behind on reading things (weeks? maybe?)--hooray for a new place! Love how bright and sunny it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm behind on posting! All is fine!

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you like your new kitchen (as do I!); that's important! Hoping you get everything sorted out and that the new changes are fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny!! Kitchens are SO important! Thanks for the well wishes :)

      Delete
  15. I want to be your cat. I've been yearning for a blanket fort with a passion ever since writing a piece about them for my workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty easy. A couple years ago my ex nailed a blanket over our bed like a canopy; it was incredible! Cats really know how to live.

      Delete
  16. Catching up on your blog the last few days. "G's" posts were very well done. And your new apartment is gorgeous! The shot of the cookbook collection is classic, but Haxan of course steals the show. Kitty tent - yea!!! I have yet to try Appetite for Reduction, but my library/workplace has a copy so I should check it out. Congratulations on your new pad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I love the spot. Does yr library have a large cookbook collection? The QUEENS library near my apartment has a very sad, small collection. Yr lucky!

      Delete
    2. The library where I work has a pretty good cookbook collection, with a surprising (to me) number of vegan ones. It makes me happy when I see patrons checking them out. Re your nearby library: remember there's always inter-library loan. Public libraries belong to networks, and if there's something you want that you don't see, they can get it for you from another library in their network. :-)

      Delete
  17. Happy new place! (Is that the right greeting?!) hope they've got a big-ass kitchen in there...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.