Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Slightly Different Salads

Many things have conspired to my changing up the salads lately: lack of produce, trying not to eat carrots, trying to save money. Okay, maybe not "many," but "three."
Here's what I've been eating instead of the usual. (Do I have a "usual?")

Yeah! Spinach, cucumber, raw sunflower seeds, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, mushroom, avocado, crumbled end of bag flax pizza crackers! Dressed with lemon juice.
Let's see that again because it's so damn pretty.


Salad sandwich!
I had a bread craving. WW bread, hummus, avocado, sundried tom, shredded carrot, spinach, and mushrooms.

WF's bar. Raw cabbage, so pretty. Smoked freekeh salad (w/ tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber and onion) with Beyond Meat chunks! That's some pretty serious unmeat product.

This is all the produce I had in the house the other night. Spinach, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, orange, raw sunflower seeds, crumbled Black Pepper Mary's Gone Crackers. Topped with Braggs, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and then I randomly grabbed some powdered ginger and put some on the salad too, hoping it would go well with the orange and spicy cayenne. It did!
However, had I first seen THIS surprise ginger juice in the mail (Shen is on a kindess kick + thank you - I will find a million uses for this!) I would have used that. What a funny coincidence.


So of course I took that gingery flavor combination and ran with it for dinner again tonight:
Spinach, raw broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cara cara orange, Caribbean-style SoyBoy baked tofu. Topped with Braggs, cayenne, and ginger juice! I thought I might have put too much juice on, but it wasn't super spicy and hell, who am I kidding? You can never have too much ginger.
Ooohh I wonder how it would be in a cocktail....Thanks again, Shen.

21 comments:

  1. flax pizza cracker sound so good!!! we have been eating lots of salad here too.

    mmmMMmm
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are sooo good! If you can find them (pretty sure Portland has everything vegan??!) get em!

      Delete
  2. All of the salads are pretty but that first one is especially so. Love that you put the crumbled crackers on it.

    Shen is on a roll! That ginger juice is a perfect gift for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I first saw the raw-cracker-on-salad-phenomenon on Ginger is the New Pink blog.
      It is perfect, isn't it?!

      Delete
  3. I'm finding a lot of vegetable inspiration here - I think beautiful salads and miso soup could be touted as your "usual"! ;) I love the idea of putting flax crackers on salad. Even your sandwich is vibrant! I've not seen the smoked freekeh salad previously, it sounds interesting.

    Ginger Juice sounds great! Shen is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sandwich was a fun change, except I crammed so much stuff in there that it fell out all over the place. I think I'm sticking with salads, which are neatly contained right in the bowl.

      Delete
  4. Wow, beautiful salads. Yum to the crumbled crackers, baked tofu, and ginger juice especially. Is the ginger juice the consistency of hot sauce or more like apple juice?

    Whole Foods has been keeping pre-made Beyond Meat mock-chicken salads (they call it Vegan Chicken Tarragon Salad) in their cooler. My bf loves the stuff and eats it on Mary's crackers. I could eat a pound of it in one sitting :)

    Thanks for the salad inspiration. I've been eating a lot of repeat meals lately, but now that I'm on Spring break I'm going to put a little more effort into food-making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it's a pretty thin juice, but just thick enough that it separates until you shake it. more like apple cider.
      Tarragon is a great flavor, I'd like to see that vegan chickn salad here.

      Delete
  5. I am on a roll...with Vegenaisse, Lettuce & Tomato!

    You can thank VaVa for all the repurposed Bubble Wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I repurposed it from work! :) Paying it forward with the bubble wrap!

      Delete
    2. Sorry guys but I just ended the chain of bubble wrap. I threw it out. Some environmentalist I am. Guess I just don't know enough people to give gifts. Or maybe I do but I'm not nice enough.

      Delete
  6. The first salad floats my boat the most because your other homemade salads have the devilfruit in them. But I do want to SoyBoy tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SoyBoy. SoyBoy. It's even fun to say.

      Delete
    2. Aaaaah! Hahaha! I just repeated "so be so be" in your other post because it was fun to say (albeit grammatically incorrect) and then I saw this. High five.

      Delete
  7. I love all your slightly different salads! They are all unique. I love that little ginger guy. I haven't tried the juice yet, but I've had his little candied gingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, their mascot is pretty cute. I love pretty much all their products.

      Delete
  8. Really amazing looking salads!! Using the pizza flax crumbles is pretty genius :) And you know I have to say how much I love all of the sun dried tomato goodness appearing in this post!

    Aww isn't Shen the best! Very cool, can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with the crackers and sunflower seeds on the salad was that I was overexcited to eat it and chomped really hard and got a cracker or seed stuck right into the back of my gums. That was no fun.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous veggies here! I love salads that are more "stuff" than greens.... The ginger juice is an awesome cocktail/mocktail ingredient! What about some seltzer water, peach puree, vodka and the ginger juice?
    The cracker crumbles on salad is genius!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. I mean, I love and need and crave greens but the "stuff" really makes or breaks a salad. Lots of fun. I will definitely try yr cocktail idea! That sounds delicious.

      Delete
  10. Crumbled cracker bits on salad is such a great idea. TEXTURE!! I really need to eat more salads. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.