Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Savory Oatmeal

Andrea recently wrote a post about craving non-traditional foods at breakfast, and while I usually gravitate towards the typical fruit and cereals in the morning, I'm definitely coming around to seeing certain foods as anytime foods.
A while back, there was a savory oatmeal craze (maybe there still is?) and it sounded interesting but it's only in the last couple of days that I've finally tried it myself (perhaps due to cleaning out my pantry before I move and because oatmeal is so damn cheap). It's also awesome because oatmeal cooks really quickly, so ya don't have to wait around for rice or something to cook when yr hungry at THAT INSTANT.
Savory oatmeal bowl 1:

Oats, frozen peas, chopped carrot, spinach, avocado, sunflower seeds, with Braggs and cayenne pepper
Savory oatmeal bowl 2:

Oats, frozen peas, chopped carrot, spinach, broccoli, hemp seeds, with Braggs and pav bhaji spices.
Totally perfect: filling, nutritious, green...and so many variations. I like oatmeal a lot but sometimes it's too heavy for me in the morning, so this makes a great later in the day meal. It would probably make a good breakfast, too, if yr into that kinda thing.
Have you guys tried savory oats? Other topping ideas?

21 comments:

  1. I like these twists on a traditional breakfast! I tend to eat more savory breakfasts on the weekends, so I'll have to try this some time! I'll have to experiment before I can recommend any toppings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, savory seems to take more time to make so it probably is best for a weekend.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh your savory oats look and sound so good. I've told myself that I'm going to make savory oats but I haven't yet. I tend to eat more sweet in the morning and switch over to savory at lunch so I'd probably make this a later in the day meal like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ridiculously in love with your savoury oats. I went through a mega-phase of eating quinoa flakes cooked in broth with unseemly amounts of tabasco and nutritional yeast on top in my teens.... I may have to begin such a phase again. But I shall follow your lead, and add THE GREEN this time 'round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to try quinoa flakes but that sounds great. All the protein! Nooch and tabasco is a winning flavor combo.

      Delete
  4. A while back mark bittman wrote an article on savory oats and had a very simple version oats cooked in veg broth with scallions and soy sauce- i added a drizzle of sesame oil and some spinach and it was awesome! I made for quick dinners, ive always been a sweet or fruity breakfast person
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really, really good. I've been meaning to pick up sesame oil for, like, forever.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried savory oats, but yours look & sound quite good. I could especially see having them with cayenne pepper. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE oats (just made my Crispy Oat Cakes today, they are my FAVE!!) and will definitely try the savory version soon, thanks for the inspiration!

    Those bowls look SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I guess I've missed out on the craze, because this is the first time I've seen savory oatmeal, but it looks fantastic. Oatmeal and broccoli sounds great together. I think I'd add some nooch and sriracha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sadly out of both nooch and sriracha, but if I had any, you can bet I'd use it.

      Delete
  8. I've been meaning to make it a lot, does that count? In my head, it tastes really good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That counts! That's how I felt for the last 4 or so years since I first saw it.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I thought you were a software programmer! Can't you reboot or something?

      Delete
  10. Ooh savoury oats, it sounds wrong but I'm willing to give it a go! I agree oats can be too heavy in the morning. Sounds like an interesting idea! I'm guessing that you've found somewhere to move to?! Congrats I hope it's perfect for you and that the move goes well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, we found a place. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. You make savory oatmeal LOOK good, but it's still oatmeal, and I seem to be in oatmeal rebellion. I hope to recover from this affliction soon so I can eat oatmeal again.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.