Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

Pine Box Rock Shop, take 2 (or 3)

I scattered a few "use em or lose em" vacation days throughout the month to check out apartments. And instead of seeing apartments, I went to the Pine Box Rock Shop vegan pop-up shop on Saturday. It was crowded as always, and hot, and I was getting nervous, but it was a little too early for me to drink (who'd ever think I'd speak those words?). So I ran in, and picked up just a few goodies from Gone Pie (Thanks, Abby, for getting me hooked.)
Two tahini cookies, which were incredible! They are chewy but crumbly, almost like a thicker, gooier halvah and covered in chocolate.

I've heard Gone Pie is going to stop making these for a while, so grab 'em while you can. I also got a chai brownie, which I'd had before in a brownie sampler from Vegan Cuts. I probably didn't share that package back when I got it because I ate all the brownies wayyy too quickly. They are fudgy and delicately spiced and delicious.


I regretted not being able to enjoy one of Pine Box's many Bloody Marys at that time but I ended up meeting two of my friends there the following day. While I waited, I nursed a Kelso Smoked Winter ale which was so bizarre! In a good way. The smoky "cherry wood" (their description, not mine - I couldn't put my finger on the scent) flavor was unbelievable, and a last taste of winter on a gorgeous pre-Spring afternoon.

Also one last browse through Cristy Road's Spit and Passion comic before giving it to my friend.
Once my friends arrived I moved on to the Bloody Marys.
I also took a picture of one of the dogs because...ya gotta. This being a vegan bar, there are quite often lots of cute lil pups on seats in here, but it's not totally uncommon to see dogs in bars in Brooklyn.

So, yeah, I may not love PBRS's crowded pop-up shops (but I do love Gone Pie!) but I will definitely keep going back for their Bloody Marys and ever-changing (mostly local - one beer was made up in the Bronx!) beers.

21 comments:

  1. I want that tahini cookie! Chocolate covered tahini sounds too good to be true. Now I'm getting all kinds of crazy kitchen ideas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see what you do with tahini and chocolate, especially on yr clean eating plan! This was definitely decadent and SO GOOD

      Delete
  2. Ooooh what yummy treats! A chai brownie sounds so delicious and the tahini cookies sound so good as well! I can definitely relate to uneasy feelings in crowded shops but it seems like it was worth the trip! Cute pup too! Hope you find a new apartment soon! Good luck with the search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read this post several times to make sure it was in English. I'm a little hung up on 'Kelso' just cuz of 'That 70's Show' Ashton Kutcher character, but otherwise I think that this post is saying that there is a hipster bar in Brooklyn with Cookies and Pie that don't melt in your hot little anxious hand and you drank a trendy Beer and read an esoteric comic and then switched to Bloody Marys just because your friends showed up and the dogs at the bar are allowed to sit on stools.

    Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's basically it! And ew to Ashton Kutcher. I wouldn't drink anything he touched.

      Delete
  4. The chocolate covered tahini cookie looks delicious! As does the brownie. Yum! So glad you were able to get back and enjoy a Bloody Mary (and a cute dog!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just sitting here thinking I needed a dessert but not know what I wanted when there it was — a chai brownie from Gone Pie. Doesn't help much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cookie looks so good, it looks like marzipan in the middle! I think I may have to consume some alcohol tonight.....argh! Damn you and your tasty looking ale pics! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good description! Definitely marzipany!

      Delete
  7. PS. I'm sure the right apartment will turn up soon for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be absolutely thrilled to go to a bar where there are dogs. So cute! I love that he's sitting on the stool, too.

    The treats look fantastic. I wouldn't be into the crowded shop, either, but would definitely brave it for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too! There was a lil French bulldog on a seat too that I wanted to grab and hug a lot.

      Delete
  9. Um, so halvah and smoked flavours are two of the greatest things ever. It is upsetting to me that you didn't choose to share with a foodblogstranger in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have had them both together! Smokey flavor really is fantastic. At least the cookie would make it to Toronto.

      Delete
  10. Smoked winter ale? WANT. And yeah, that cookie too. I want that. And the brownie. Maybe I'll just lick the screen and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thinking about it, I want more too. Lick yr screen all you want. Let me know if it helps, but I won't be the one to test that.

      Delete
  11. I need that cookie myself; would you believe I've only tried the non-chocolate version thus far? And it was FAB, so of course I need it to be covered in chocolate. Glad I could be of service! Also, love the pooches in Pine Box. Too crowded for 89 during a shop-up, though; maybe on an off-day... Do they still do Sunday pancake brunch, or am I aging myself?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.