Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

NYC Vegan Tour: Downtown Brooklyn + Perelandra

Until pretty recently, visitors to New York mostly spent their time in Manhattan. In the last 20 years or so, Brooklyn has really come into its own. A lot of the vegan goodness popping up is found in the hipper parts of the borough, like Williamsburg or East Bushwick (not my part, haha) and even Bed-Stuy (Clementine Bakery, I'm coming for you one of these days) but I don't find those areas as historically or aesthetically compelling as Downtown Brooklyn and DUMBO. And, for those of you stuck on Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn is just a short(ish) walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
As an added incentive, one of The Cinnamon Snail's regular rotating sites is just at the foot of the bridge!

One of many gorgeous old churches in the area. Another, St. Ann's has a peace garden you can sit in to rest yr feet after all that walking around. Greg and I used to go to UU services in a church that has been there since 1833.

                                                         Brooklyn Transit Museum
Borough Hall, near the court house. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, year-round, there is a Farmer's Market out front. A nice break from jury duty.
Walking along the Brooklyn promenade. Foreground, Brooklyn Bridge; background, Empire State Building.
Vegans might especially appreciate the fruit-named streets around the Promenade: Cranberry, Orange, Pineapple. It might be a holdover from imported fruit deliveries to the area. 
 Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory (not vegan, but a nice bit of architecture)
"Flow on, River, Flow..." The lines from Crossing Brooklyn Ferry by Walt Whitman are engraved in the barriers on the dock.
                                                 Walking towards the Manhattan side.
                  For Molly. These fish heads growing out of the ground seemed cute and quirky.
.
Similar to the Oy Vey sign on the Williamsburg Bridge (looking back on that post, I sure love walking across bridges on rainy days.)
ANYWAY on to the food. Perelandra is close to the Court House (at 175 Remsen St.) and they're another fun health food store to browse. It was busy when I got there, and I wasn't super hungry, so I just picked up a couple items to snack on my walk, and to eat later. However, Greg had jury duty recently and has been telling me about the wonders of their prepared foods/deli case (the crowd would support that sentiment.)

                                                                  Sooooo good.
A new flavor of those macro sushi I always buy. This one is brown rice with cabbage, tofu, and sundried tomato.

Also, sooo good. Although kinda salty? Maybe it was because I had it in my bag walking around all morning. Probably better chilled. Also, SHEN STILL SEND ME YR TART.
If you want to actually sit and dine in the area, I recommend Siggy's on Henry St. (it was closed when I walked past though.) There are also tons of Indian and Chinese food places in the area, and I passed a place called Vegetarian Ginger that had an incredibly cheap but tasty looking lunch menu.
So, yeah: Explore! Enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. Nice post! I love that tart, but it is waaaay better super cold. It gets sloppy when it melts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that. I'm willing to try again :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I had a magical tart maker that could make me that tart from my Meyers in the fridge! Oy Vey!

    i love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You are right, Brooklyn has definitely grown in popularity over the years and you have shown such a great variety of what Brooklyn has to offer!

    Great looking food too! I've tried those pizza flax snax and they are so good! The new flavor of macro sushi looks great! I haven't seen macro sushi in my WFs in so long :( That tart, yum! I've been really into lemon flavored things recently, I bet I'd love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe they have the sushi in city WFs because they're made in Sunnyside and it's closer? I don't know but they're everywhere around here. I want to go to the factory! Lemon flavored stuff is a surprising second to chocolate. Always delicious.

      Delete
  4. I so appreciate the photo tour! I don't know enough about Brooklyn, or Manhattan for that matter, so I love traveling through you!

    I still need to try the macro sushi, but I think you're right about the tart. The crust, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you finally make it, you'll know all the hot spots to hit. Yes, the crust! I want to try the chocolate flavor to see how they do that one.

      Delete
  5. Great Tour! the Hail Merry looks delicious. I am sure New York is packed with vegan options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I only visit the smallest sampling of vegan options!

      Delete
  6. I am so envious of your NY-living. Sigh. Such dreamy surroundings!

    (also, re: your last post---glad you tried the dandelion tea! but fair enough that you prefer the real coffee ;)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It CAN be dreamy. It can also be hectic and stressful.

      Delete
  7. Ahh NY is definitely a place I want to visit! A lot of the architecture is similar to stuff in London, it's cool to see the influences and Victorian style. Those flax snax look right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can house swap once I'm settled in the new place :) I've always wanted to visit London.

      Delete
  8. Funny, whenever I'm in NYC, I spend 96% of my time in Brooklyn. But now that I have no friends left in the city, I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. Love those fish heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny. Good for you, it's cheaper! I guess it depends on with whom or where you stay.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tour. You always make me wish I lived closer to NYC and could visit whenever I wanted. I've never wandered around any of Brooklyn's neighborhoods — was only there once for a wedding. Al my NYC time has been spent in Manhattan, which I now regret. I like the Go Raw snacks. Thanks for reminding me to go get some for my upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have better places to visit than NYC! But it'll always be here, when you decide to come back.

      Delete
  10. Pretty pics! I've never been to NYC, and I hope to have a good excuse one day. Because I'm poor, my travel is always connected to work or vegan blog/book stuff (never just for fun). But someday ...

    Also, I love those pizza crackers! And I've really been wanting to try the Merry's tarts. My Whole Foods carries them but the price and calories per tiny serving always turn me away. I should just suck it up and buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never travel because I'm poor too. That's why I just walk around my own city, ha!
      The pizza crackers are awesome but you definitely deserve to try that tart!

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love the fish! Thanks for posting them! I love that transit museum building, too. Great paint job on it. I also find it very cute that they put the How Sweet It Is! on the welcome sign.

    I keep seeing those tarts here, but have yet to get one. One of these days. I could go for some sushi, too. It's been a while!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Transit museum building is great! I have yet to actually visit the inside though...!

      Delete
  12. What a loving tribute to your borough. So close yet so far from Manhattan.

    The remains of my tart Tart are winging their way to you right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I move to QUEENS next week, I'll try to do a good tribute to that borough too.
      I received the wings today. many thanks.

      Delete
  13. Queens????? Oh how the mighty have fallen! Why not just move straight to Yonkers and be done with it?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.