Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, February 18, 2013

Vegan Carrini Boots & snow

Firstly, thanks for the kind words and advice etc. on yesterday's post. I'm okay. We all get weird sometimes, right? Right. Then we take a couple breaths and move on.
The weather has been weird recently. There was that snowstorm last week, then it rained and everything melted, then New York City had a couple beautiful days on which I even ate lunch outside, and these last few days it's been freezing again.
Before the snowstorm, I ordered a pair of black vegan Carrini boots though Groupon. I have two pairs of boots - a pair of Doc Martens that my friend gave me about 6 years ago that I LOVE but are finally falling apart and the tread is completely worn away, and a pair of brown heeled boots that I got at a thrift store that aren't exactly my size and hurt my feet a lot. So, even though I hate buying things new, I thought I'd support some vegan shoes and give my feet a break.

Lined up with my other two soon-to-be-retired boots.


Ssssstylin'.
I like them. They're really comfortable which is a nice change, and they zip up in the back which means easy on/off access and no fiddling with all the hooks and holes every time I wear them. The boots are kinda fancier than my usual style (as in, busted up and ripped everything) but I'll wear them in pretty quickly. There isn't too much of a tread on these either but luckily the snow isn't really around anymore. Maybe there'll be another chance to test that out - as well as seeing how waterproof they are. (A snippet of Brooklyn, as an aside: a co-worker from upstate NY said he witnessed a hipster completely unprepared for the snow last week wearing wingtips and a monocle trying to jump over a snowbank.)
Anyway, like I said, the snow is melted by now but I took a walk last Monday through a cemetery near my apartment on the Queens/Brooklyn border. It was an amazing, hazy, kinda depressing day - as well as the anniversary of Sylvia Plath's death and I was just feeling super goth, what can I say? Here are some photos that I took in my non-vegan boots.


And, finally, this is my preferred cold winter weekend morning scene:


Breakfast in bed with Batman. Yes, I finally bought cereal after seeing all you guys enjoy it! This was Nature's Path Organic Blueberry Cinnamon Flax (on sale $3.89). With almond milk and banana.
Do you guys use Groupons often? Observe poets' deathdays and listen to Joy Division? Enjoy traipsing in snow to return and drink lotsa tea? Read any comic books?!?!

26 comments:

  1. Very nice boots! I need a new pair too. My friend works at the Doc Marten store, so I'm thinking about getting a vegan pair. I do like the zip up styles that I've been seeing around lately too. The easier, the better.

    I also responded to your dessert question, but I'll post it again here. I use herbal tea, chai made with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and those little mandarins that they sell by the box. I'm not doing anything processed, and I haven't been motivated enough to make any fancy raw desserts. So, it's been tea and citrus in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love Docs and am so happy they offer vegan ones now! Yr friend is lucky!

      Delete
  2. They're cute boots! I should really own more pairs, but I only have one pair of snow boots that I call my shit kickers. I literally kick the dog poop out of the snow with them when it's frozen while Mike scoops it up..... heh

    I LOVE your cemetery photographs! Beautiful, beautiful!

    I tend to mostly stay indoors during winter, but do enjoy the occasional traipse through snow so that I can return and enjoy tea by the fireplace. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Literal shitkickers, I love it. I would think with all the snow you guys get you'd be a boot pro by now...

      Delete
  3. I like your wintry pictures — the last one especially should be framed. Cool boots, and I'm glad they have a zipper. I once had a pair of tall, laced boots, and it was not in my nature to be happy about lacing them up every day. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea, I know you have an artistic eye. And yea, I love the way hooks look but not great when yr late for work!

      Delete
  4. I've tried lots of new restaurants lately due to Groupon. Some hits, some misses. When I get the daily Groupon email, I always cross my fingers and hope it's for a restaurant and not, like, microdermabrasion treatments.

    Cute boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah. Yeah, I only buy the food ones. Once I bought a yoga Groupon but never went. Oops.

      Delete
  5. Oooh love your boots!! They look great and zippers definitely help :) Beautiful winter photos too. It is so beautiful during the winter, I just don't want to be out in it, ha!

    Your cereal sounds yummy. Looks like a perfect morning to me. I've never purchased anything from groupon but I see people getting great deals all the time. I guess I should be patient and check it out, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely see what you can get from Groupon! There's a lot of massage stuff and exercise classes that it seems like you'd be into too.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos - very snowy, misty, and slightly eerie. When I visit MA in 2009, we went to the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and was impressed yet spooked the entire time!

    Nice purchase on the boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. massachusetts has some great old cemeteries!

      Delete
  7. Cute boots! Happy feet are very important.
    Soo, speaking of groupons did you see the one for Quintessence?? Raw vegan awesome restaurant in east village, think groupon still on sale, $20 for $40 of food. Their young coconut smoothie is amazing, so is "peters pot" soup (tho its served cold) and the chia pudding dessert...
    Breakfast in bed is always a good start to the day!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES I definitely bought a Quintessence groupon! I've been there once with a groupon and once actually paying full price. I looove that place! Did you buy it??

      Delete
  8. Haha, that made me laugh :) And breakfast in bed with Batman sounds like a little slice of heaven to me! Your boots are rad! Loving those. Have you heard The Wombats 'Let's Dance to Joy Division'? It annoyed me until I realised it was meant to be ironic.... Just reminded me of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard the Wombats song. I'm gonna go listen to it righttt.....now.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for reminding me about that cereal; I used to buy boxes of it at a time, but it got really pricey and I gave it up! The thought of the monocled hipster really gave me a giggle. You didn't mention it, but I'm sure he was wearing short pants with his wingtips; I wonder if his ankles got frostbite? Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe they have a thing on Amazon where you can get it cheap? It is pretty nice but yeah really expensive.
      I'm pretty positive the dude must have been wearing, like, capri pants or something. Does Jersey have to deal with these jokers??

      Delete
  10. Those boots are awesome! Sad hat about the Doc Martin's, but at least you have some new duds to bread in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part...getting the new ones to fit yr feet!

      Delete
  11. Have you ever read Bone? That was one of my favourites when I was young :) I read a few darker ones (Maxx, I think was one, as well as the Gaiman ones), but I always liked Bone. Even had a little figurine compete with tiny Moby Dick book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Bone yet but I've heard great things. I've sort of leafed through it; it looks cute. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  12. Those boots kick ass - I'm always nervous to buy stuff like that online because my feet are so weird. So it's awesome that they fit and are comfy. And that is some eerie haze in the cemetery, beautiful pics though. And hell yeah I read comic books! Though I read manga, and haven't had time for it lately. That's part of the reason I'm so excited about learning Japanese right now, it makes my inner nerdy teenager happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah how weird are yr feet?? Like Peggy Hill's? It is a hassle though when you have to return stuff you got online. I usually just let it sit, ha.
      I haven't read any manga really, but I did used to love Sailor moon! Does that count??

      Delete
  13. Excellent ideas on how to have fun: internet shoe shopping, spooky cemetery photography and cold cereal with a comic book. You could write a zine with activity suggestions for folks like me who never know what to do with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Actually, writing a zine is at the top of my list of things to do for people who don't know what to do with themselves, so maybe YOU should write that zine!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.