Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, February 11, 2013

Vegan Caesar Salad

Way to turn one post into two, huh?
First, a small grocery haul. I was out early this morning to get some bloodwork done in a neighborhood near one of my old favorite health food stores, so I went a little crazy getting stuff I didn't really need.

Orange, 2 loose carrots, avocado, romaine lettuce, Tazo chai concentrate (contains honey but lists the exact spices so I can DIY), seitan chunks, Ginger-O's (they were on sale!), Raw Revolution Hazelnut Chocolate bar, baba ganouj hummus.
I've already eaten tooooo many of those Ginger-O's so let's just talk about the salad.


Torn romaine, shredded carrot, chicken-flavored seitan chunks, tomatoes, and red onion with yesterday's Caesar dressing. This was pretty delicious. I warmed the seitan in a pan with a little canola oil and dumped it on the crisp vegetables so they wilted just a bit.
The dressing is really perfect: creamy (for lack of a better word,) salty, awesomely tangy, and just a little spicy. I added more black pepper on top of the salad. The chewy seitan (which I don't eat often) was a great contrast to the crunchy romaine. I considered just using spinach, but I think the bite wouldn't have been as satisfying.
I know it's not exactly a Caesar salad, but it was definitely not one I would have made on my own. However, I have a ton of dressing to use up. I'm pretty sure it'll still be great on other salads though. I packed up a similar salad for lunch tomorrow, with added broccoli.


12 comments:

  1. I think I definitely like your caesar better than the original. You always add tons of beautiful veggies. I don't remember seeing you eat seitan before. I used to love seitan and added that brand to my salads all the time. You remain the salad queen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salads can always use more veggies, I think. And yeah, I've made seitan only a couple times - I might have even forgotten to blog about it (We've all seen the blubbery brown that is wheat gluten) and it's not my favorite, but it is the best substitute for meat.

      Delete
  2. Not one, but two pics of the salad.

    Three paragraph description.

    Yet, I honestly have nothing better to do than look at and read about your salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn straight you don't! You think I blog for myself? There are people in Virginia with free time after they feed the dogs, guinea fowl, and cats. We can't have that.

      Delete
  3. Great looking salad! I don't blame you for posting about the dressing twice. Definitely worth it.

    Those Ginger-O's are something I can't keep in the house. I haven't had them forever and love them but can't stop eating them. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, molly.
      I like all the Newman-O flavors. The mint ones are really nice too.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a satisfactory trip to the store! Ginger-Os are dangerous. I have to stay far, far away from those! That is the same brand of seitan I used in AFR Braised Cabbage with Seitan. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tried to freeze them to stay away but just knowing they were in there....

      Delete
  5. I love buying food I don't necessarily need--I figure it's better than clothes shopping or whatever else 'normal' people do, right?

    The salad is kickin' it--love the seitan on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I will go shoeless for Ginger-Os.

      Delete
  6. I really thought you were going to make a tempeh caesar! Or else tofu like at Sacred Chow. Seitan? So meaty! REALLY want to try your dressing recipe and I HAVE been making ff-inspired salads lately...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have. Seitan is not exactly my thing but I thought it would best replicate chicken. Would you believe I even considered buying Gardein?
      The dressing is really enjoyable; I hope you do make it.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.