Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sweet to Savory

Boy, I really know how to reel em in with the show stopping titles, huh? Here's some stuff from the last week that didn't fit in elsewhere. (Or, it might have if I'd had time to post.)

Ah, yes! Blackberries from.... Berryland. I've been planning on getting a blackberry tattoo for a long time but I wanted to hold off and get it in actual blackberry season. However, if blackberries are this succulent even out of season, I might just get the tattoo whenever I damn well please.
These Justin's cups are pretty succulent too.

And on sale! 2/3 dollars at Whole Foods. Get em before I do.
On Graham Avenue in Williamsburg:

Quick breakfast:

Spicy chai tea, pumpernickel bread with tahini and apricot jam.
Dilly potato soup from B&H with G:

He said we both had to get soups we hadn't tried before. Otherwise I would have gotten the borscht. He got Yankee Bean and wasn't quite as pleased, but I liked this bowl.
More soup with G:

We decided this was probably the best lentil soup ever. To me, the flavors were very reminiscent of falafel. And while this was delicious and perfect on a rainy, cold night, this is what I ate the night before my arm swelled up so...eat at yr own risk.
We got some garlicky broccoli to share on the side.


Annnnnd finalmente, this is why I wanted to head back to Le Pain Quotidien:

This is a seasonal special, so if you have an LPQ nearby, hie thee post haste. A roasted cauliflower and hummus tartine with golden raisins, Moroccan flavored carrot salad, and spicy harissa. Radish, cucumber, greens, and lemon wedge adornment. Everything vegan and gluten-free is clearly marked on the menu. Again, this was pricey as a solo lunch but I really like the spot and the quality of the food. So, who of my friends can I finagle into meeting me here for coffee?
Also, here is a gnome.

23 comments:

  1. I want to eat everything in this post. I kind of love that you are going to get a blackberry tattoo. Please show us when you get it! I love the sidewalk art on Graham Ave! I have a friend that lives on Graham :) I could totally go for both of those soups, especially the potato. It looks so thick and comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely get a photo when I (save up some $$$ first and) get the tattoo.
      You should go visit yr friend on Graham soon and eat all the vegan GF things that Bushwick has to offer :)

      Delete
  2. I love Justin's cups. So good. And the pumpernickel/tahini/apricot combo is just about tempting enough to tell my gluten issues to F off. I have to find some gf pumpernickel bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cups were especially great that time. The PB wasn't as dry as it sometimes is. GF pumpernickel bread sounds hard to replicate but I'm sure you can find something else to slather tahini on!

      Delete
    2. What is UP with the dry PB? I'm told they're "temperature sensitive"...can we fix that asap? I like my cups creamy, not crumbly. Boo!

      Delete
  3. Where did the best lentil soup come from?! I must seek it out....
    And that LPQ special was my dinner tuesday night- so crazy good! Part of why i love LPQ is because the (omni) founder in an interview said his goal was to bring quietly delicious vegan food to the masses with 30-40% vegan items and that vegetarian and vegan food is the future. Um- awesome!
    Anyways, that dilly potato soup is on my eat-this-soon list now.
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was from the unassuming Willburg cafe on Grand near Lorimer in (East?) Williamsburg. I don't know how often you get out to Brooklyn but the soup was also only 4 dollars so it might be worth the trip.
      Did you see I also stopped in for vegan soup of the day (minestrone) at LPQ recently? They really know what they're doing.

      Delete
  4. I highly salute whatever clever person did that bit of drawing in the cement. Takes a pretty good doodle to take my mind of the pictures of peanut butter cups...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty nice, right? Ooh what about a cement doodle of a robot eating a PB cup??

      Delete
  5. A cute idea about the blackberry tattoo. In regards to whole blackberries - I don't like them. I think it's a texture thing - kind of like why I don't like raspberries. I like those types of berries in baked goods, or even as a scented candle. Does that count? ;)

    I picked up some nutrient dense sunflower bread, and saw they had pumpernickel - immediately thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of understand the texture thing, but blackberries seem more substantial to me than do raspberries. But I like em both. Especially in baked goods.

      Delete
  6. Good old G. Still responsible for improving content around here I see. And gets rewarded with Dilly Soup. I remember how much he hated Dill. That's how nonexistent of a life I have.

    That cement drawing (from Futurama?) and Gnome looks like the influence of Molly. She's got me eyeing public art that I'd here-to-fore ignore.

    I didn't realize you had 'Lentil Soup Elbow'. That's serious stuff. Hope it's healing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the robot does look Futuramaish! Funny. But yes, it's totally molly's influence that I notice anything cultural.
      What is the opposite of lentil soup? maybe if I "dip the 'bow" into that, it'll act as an antidote?

      Delete
  7. Very cool that you want to get a blackberry tattoo! I hope you post a picture when you get it.

    I love the gnome and sidewalk art.

    You had some great eats lately. The potato dilly soup sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a photo. I've been meaning to show you guys the complementary vegetable tatt I have too.
      Like Shen said, I definitely keep an eye out more often these days for the quirky neighborhood art, inspired by yr finds!

      Delete
    2. I'm flattered (and thrilled!) that I've inspired you and Shen to look for this stuff. I love seeing it!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yea but you tasted the soup anyway AND LIKED IT

      Delete
  9. Finalmente...parli italiano? :-)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, but I DID just watch the Godfather!

      Delete
  10. That LPQ dish looks great; don't know why I never have any luck in that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of why I wanted to try this one - as a seasonal item it was probably made with the specific ingredients in mind. I also didn't want it to disappear off the menu never having tried it! What have you gotten that you didn't enjoy?

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.