Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Parmela Parmesan Nut Cheese

About a month and a half ago, I was offered a sample of Parmela, a new vegan parmesan on the market. After a mix-up with the address (moving so often gets very confusing) the little container arrived the other day.

Ingredient list/ Nutrition info:

Sounds simple enough, right?
Out of the container, the cheese definitely smells tang, but looks more nooch-colored than cow's Parm.


While I was thrilled to be offered a chance to try a new vegan product and took Parmela up on it at once, it took some thinking to figure out how to use the "aged nut cheese" as I'm not a fan of pasta and that's the only way I've eaten Parmesan in my pre-gan days.
Fortuitously, I had recently come across a recipe for vegetarian caesar dressing in an Andrew Weil book, True Food, I was flipping through at work. While the recipe does not include the anchovies or egg yolks that non-vegan recipes often include, Weil's recipe does use Parmesan. I was going to sub that for nooch, but then the Parmela came!

Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing, adapted from Andrew Weil
                                 yields 1 cup dressing

1/4 cup lemon juice
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T low sodium soy sauce
1 heaping T Dijon mustard
2 T capers, roughly chopped
2 small cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup Parmela parmesan (or make yr own parm OR sub nooch)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp ground black pepper

-Blend all the ingredients with a fork in a bowl (or measuring cup if ya don't want to dirty another dish.)


So, I'm not sure I've ever had a Caesar salad but this smells like the dressings I've smelled. The capers lend a briney (but not fishy) flavor and the lemon juice, vinegar, and Parmela give it a nice tang. The cheese also keeps its sort of springy, sort of grainy texture that lightens the dressing up, rather than seeming heavy like an egg or dairy-based dressing might.
So far I've just tasted tested the dressing. maybe later I'll run out and get some fake chicken and romaine and do the salad up right. The closest I have right now is spinach and tofu.
While there are recipes for making yr own nut cheese, I haven't tried them...maybe because I'm lazy or because I don't care too much, ha. This was a fun product to try; I'm more apt to recreate products that already exist once I've tried them and now I know how much fun a vegan Parm can be. Plus, if you ARE feeling lazy but do love Parmesan, it's nice to know there's a product out there that you can grab off the shelves (or order online - I haven't seen it in stores yet.)
For other recipes that better highlight the more traditional uses of Parmesan cheese, check out River's post or Bianca's recent use.

14 comments:

  1. Great review! Looks like a great substitute and your caesar sounds delicious!! Love the recipe list too, looks nice and simple. Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was pleased with how the dressing came out. I cut back by HALF on the oil but there's still a lot in there. I guess dressing lasts forever though, so I'm not too concerned...

      Delete
  2. I was wondering how this tastes since I saw it come out. Looks like it worked out well in the dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I didn't even know it existed until they emailed me. most people seem pretty pleased with the flavor.

      Delete
  3. I always forget you don't like pasta, but the reminder never fails to make the Italian part of my head hurt. I was recently reading about the especially gross bits found in non-vegan parmesan (in addition to general cruelty); everyone should be eating the vegan version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry. Will it help if I say I DO love Italian pastries? Think Vm can whip up some vegan sfogilatelle?
      I won't ask you to elaborate on "gross bits" because that sounds horrible. I'll look it up and shudder in private.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a rockin' salad dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of pasta?!?!? It's funny you mention that because that's what we made at school today, ha ha. :) And also, crazy talk! That dressing sounds good, and I'm sure it wold be great with the whole romaine-crouton thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe homemade pasta is tastier. It's fine, it just doesn't make me feel good. I'm picky, hah.

      Delete
  6. That stuff is really expensive (2.3 oz./$3.65) so I'm not sure I'd want to add 1/2 cup to a dressing, but whatever. I picked up a little container of it and still have almost the whole thing left cause I can't decide if I like it or not. The taste is not quite parmesan and not quite nooch. I added it to something recently and it didn't work but I can't even remember what it was. Maybe I SHOULD just add the whole container to salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much a similar amount of cow Parm is. That is pricey though. I just used however much they gave me because I knew I wouldn't use it otherwise. If yr not a big fan of the flavor, it probably is best blended in with other stuff.

      Delete
  7. Pamela Anderson Nut Cheese? Is that like Fromunda Cheese? You would have to pay me to use that.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.