Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Curried Sunflower Spread Salad

Upon unearthing some old sunflower seeds out of the freezer, I was inspired to soak them for raw no-tuna. Then I went out and ran around for the rest of the day. When I got back home, it was late and I realized I didn't even have a lot of the stuff I needed to make it, so I put them (drained) in a container in the fridge and read blogs before bed like a dutiful little blogger.
And, Lo, the Fates smiled upon me that night for I beheld Gena's recipe on Choosing Raw for curried sunflower spread, the ingredients for which I mostly had and was more inclined to prepare, desiring to try a new recipe.
The next day I picked up a couple missing ingredients and rushed home and blended up the mixture. I tasted a few forkfuls that night and put the rest away to top a salad for lunch.


I didn't feel like snacking on it with celery, opting rather for sweet vegetables - bell pepper and carrots. These went into a chopped salad with raw collard leaves and broccoli. I drizzled the chopped veg with olive oil and salt and let it wilt a little overnight (usually I'd add ACV but I didn't know how it'd taste with the sunflower topping.) The next morning I threw on a big blob of the spread and thoroughly enjoyed it for lunch. The texture of the spread is great.


I didn't want it to get too smooth so there is just a nice amount of crunch still to it, and the garlic/date/curry flavor is bright and a nice spicy/sweet/savory mix. I definitely don't use curry anywhere near as much as I should.
I love how versatile and nutritious sunflower seeds are and I thank Gena for enlightening me as to their numerous uses.

20 comments:

  1. THat looks great! I love that you topped your salad with it. I bet it definitely tasted amazing. I am definitely going to be looking to sunflower seeds a lot more when I start the ACD cleanse since cashews are a no go. I've heard of swapping out the cashews for sunflower seeds so I think that I'll be doing that quite a bit for the next few months :) Anyway, nice looking salad as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's sad about no cashews on the cleanse as they are DELICIOUS but sunflower seeds are pretty great too, and definitely cheaper. You should try the PPK sunflower mac! I've been dying to myself.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love sunflower seed tuna, it's very hearty and the texture is great. Plus it's good raw budget food! I've never curried it before but I totally want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super tasty stuff too. my curry is soooo soo old but it worked well enough with this. You'd definitely like it if yr into the raw tuna.

      Delete
  3. Mmm! Sounds yummy. I love salad dressings using toasted sunflowers as the base. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried sunflower seeds in a dressing. Do you blend them up??

      Delete
  4. Yum! This sounds so delicious! I need to try it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, maybe when you are not so overwhelmed with work. Or maybe that could be the homework you assign yr kids! "make me dinner."

      Delete
  5. I've been craving sunflower seed tuna salad. The curry sounds especially nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really liked it! As I said to Allysia, my curry powder was so old but I need to be reminded to use it more often and then it won't get stale or bland. Good stuff.

      Delete
  6. What an intriguing recipe. I love curry and I love chunky spreads so I think I'd really like this. Serving it on a salad is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds right up yr alley. Personally I think everything should be served on salad...

      Delete
  7. Have you had the lentil/sunflower seed pate at Sacred Chow? So good! Why do I never make it? Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! I really ought to get back to that place. Is it only a brunch offer? But yes, I recommend DIYing in all aspects of the kitchen.

      Delete
  8. Oh, this sounds awesome! I've been looking for some yummy salad dressings & toppings to make lately. Gonna check out the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I do if ya end up making it.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, that spread looks like an awesome alternative to hummus. Not that hummus needs an alternative. Dear god, no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah. A little bit of both, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.