Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

CAWFEE CAWFEE CAWFEE

Is cawfee bad for you or is cawfee good for you? I don't know and I don't care! I tried to give it up a while ago, and certainly cut back. I don't NEED it but I LOVE it a lot and especially when I'm not drinking (alcohol), it's a warming social outing. Perfect for the winter and for getting me out of the house and doing some writing. This post is an ode to...well, cawfee cultcha, which is just as important as the juice itself. Please read the entire thing in a New Yawk accent. Out loud.

CAWFEE in an awesome mug, ACV/OJ/seltzer/goji berries.
Bought this Gorilla brand, which is Brooklyn local, pre-packaged at Whole Foods recently, and kept it for the day I knew would come (and did) when I didn't have time to stop at Think for coffee before work.

I didn't love the flavor, but it was pretty good with emergency almond milk I also keep in the fridge at work. (Okay, this IS starting to sound a little like addiction...) I like the NYC skyline on the carton.
Speaking of Think, that's where I usually get my coffee in the mornings. It's a little more expensive than the slightly closer to work Bean but the coffee is way better (imho.) I also appreciate that they make a commitment to fair trade coffee, good treatment for their employees, donating to local nonprofits, AND composting.

This is the location I go to on 4th ave. They have two others, farther downtown. The one near NYU is bigger but this is a pretty big, nice space too (and filled with fewer...NYU students.) Booths in the back and lots of light up front. They also have bagels and pastries, as well as some decent sandwiches (including a vegan grilled cheese option!) and tasty, large-sized soups later in the day. Oh, and wine and beer!
Whenever I feel like I'm in Think too often, I go across the street to Paradis. Here she is, making her first appearance outside of the food!

It's a tiny little space, but there is some seating inside. HOWEVER it is right next to a school so after 3pm it's ridden with little tiny menaces. I passed by today, overhearing one kid saying, "They BETTER have that apple spice cake." I hope for the employees' sakes, they did. Anyway. The coffee is good. And you know all about the lunches.
While walking to get more coffee in Williamsburg with Greg recently ("We should drink SO MUCH COFFEE," I said before I almost started crying like 3 times. It was one of those manic days), I saw more sidewalk art:

Drizzled paint. I like it.
Espresso at the folks' (for days when I need to get out of the house and get writing done in a quiet place but not have to PAY for coffee.)

In my ceramic classic NYC coffee cup mug an old, dear friend gifted a long time ago. I love it. Added soy milk to the espresso and drank far too quickly. I wanna figure out how to use that steaming arm, though, and make a really fancy cup!
Haha, the self-portrait you've all been waiting for. With a cup the size of my face.


This is what happs when you drink coffee and start zine notes: Lots of exclamation points.


Sorry I don't have any fancy latte art photos for you...or, really, any of the coffee itself. It's usually in to-go cups (as you've seen with my breakfast-at-desk shots) and not so photogenic. What can I say, New York is an over-caffeinated GO-GO-GO city!!!!!!
Tawk amongst yaselves! Feelings on cawffee? Any fancy drinks I should order? I actually got an Americano the other day and was swooshing around the city like I owned da joint.
Aaaaannnnd: Please watch this.

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE the self portrait with a coffee mug! So cute! I also love the coffee shop tour. Additionally, I love coffee. I don't need a cup everyday, so it's more like a couple times a week. I like the taste, and try to make sure I'm supporting the right companies.

    Going to watch link now. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like yr avatar and Batman....give away only the eyes!

      Delete
  2. that is a huge mug:))
    theres coffee at every corner in seattle, esp downtown rea.. but somehow i never caught onto the craze:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so long to try Pacific NW coffee. One day.

      Delete
  3. Haha love your self portrait! That's definitely my style of self portrait :) The sidewalk art is so cool too! It may be one of my favs you've shown so far! I'm a total cawfee slut as you may well know. Not so much anymore I guess but your recs are definitely going to be kept in mind when I wander into the city as the weather gets warmer.

    PS I've been noticing my NY accent a lot more recently. I don't know how I feel about it. Do you have a thick NY accent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they artist must have had to been very delicate with the paint can. Or not, what do I know?
      As for my accent, it sort of comes and goes depending on who I'm talking to. It tends to come out much more when I'm talking with my friends from the NYC area (and there are quite a few) or when I'm feeling tough, haha. my mom's parents are from Boston (though she grew up on LI) and she's spent a lot of time abroad so she...annunciates. my dad, however, definitely has a Queens accent.
      I've come to embrace it... ha. Ya gotta.

      Delete
  4. think is better. the staff at bean are submoronic. one kid there is always high. looks like he had a lobotomy. Also for the gossip column: brooke shields eats at paradis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are kinda jerks. Coffee jerks.

      Delete
  5. ^ comment of the week! The staff at the Bean is definitely hit or miss at 1st and 3rd (Bway is a lost cause).

    I don't love coffee for coffee's sake; I like it all fancied up. I'd recommend the dirty chai at the Bean, but I'll definitely try Think soon. Vegan grilled cheese? What!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And they make awesome vegan split pea soup too!

      Delete
  6. I love this post so much. Serious cawfee addiction you got going girl. Makes me miss the days of drinking it! Especially out of face-sized mugs! *joy*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a steaming hot mug of Joe. I'm a reformed addict as well. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that addicts are always addicts, ya know.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE CAWFEE!! I got to have some again at the beginning of February (I told you about Mike and me giving up vices for January) and it was good times. Also beer. Also your neptune mug is pretty swag, ha ha! Also I think that's the most of your face I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know you gave up ALL vices for January, I just thought it was booze. Rough! But it must have been wonderful the first time all over again.
      Isn't the mug great? It's my roommate's but I wanna steal it.

      Delete
  9. I am a proud coffee addict and snob. No intention of quitting here :) i use a stovetop european espresso maker at home (french roast peet's) with vanilla almond milk, and end up at starbucks near my office daily (venti dk roast redeye, splash of hot soy) but the best hot cup i've had in nyc was at 9th street espresso. The best (most expensive!) cold is organic ave's latte....(i think there are cashews involved) Thank goodness there isnt a location close to me- i would be broke!
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left my french press at my old apartment and I am SO SAD to not have any way to brew at home. Well, we have a drip but... I too am a snob.
      Thanks for the tip on Organic Ave's latte; that sounds incredible. Worth a couple extra bucks to try, right?

      Delete
  10. Haha, I love the cawfee soooo much! I will probably never quit. It's my only vice and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all deserve a little something special :)

      Delete
  11. I gave up coffee a few months ago after drinking it steadily for many years and I still miss it. I might end up drinking it again, but wanted to see how I felt without it. Can't say I notice a lot of difference, other than not getting quite as many headaches.

    Anyway, I loved this post, especially your portrait! Your hair looks so cute. It tempts me to cut mine short.... but I know it wouldn't look as cute as yours.

    Love the sidewalk art, too. Amazing what some people can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get "missing it." It really is a cultural thing, even if you drink decaf or half-caf or whatever. It's an experience! Tea is too, of course, but, but.
      I would recommend short hair to anyone, although longer is a lot of fun. And you need yr hair to stay warm in that snow up there! That DEFINITLEY makes a difference.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.