Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Soup + Salad + Sriracha

And what done with aforesaid kabocha? Yesterday's lunch:

4 chopped collard leaves, 1/4 kabocha squash (the s+p with pav bhaji worked really well. The mix is slightly sweet and nicely spicy.), 1 chopped carrot, and about 1/4 block superfirm sprouted Nasoya tofu. Tossed with a bit of Braggs. Eaten while watching one person eat a spicy sausage AND a burger topped with chili and one person glom down mac and cheese from a deli bar. I try not to hate on people's dietary choices too much but that was really...too much.
Greg and I went out to dinner after work (and yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus) to Wild Ginger. We both got the miso udon noodle bowl and it was warm and perfect for a FUH-REEZING night.


This morning I got into the city early and had a little time to sit at the coffee shop with my book before work. Currently reading Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Alongside coffee and a chocolate "energy" bar. Not horrible nutritional info, but I definitely ate chocolate for breakfast.


Later, healthier, I had an apple.
Went to Le Pain Quotidien for lunch, inspired by the mysterious TT Rockwood, for the vegan soup special of the day: minestrone.


Loaded with zucchini, rice, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and onions with anoticeable (but not bad)  olive oil flavor and a nice topping of fresh herbs. It was a nice lunch to sit inside at a low key restaurant alone, but kind of pricey for what it was. Eh. I might return though because it's close to work and another seasonal item caught my eye....
Dinner as was a quick bok choy/tofu/kabocha bowl. With Braggs and sriracha and a painful mouth.


Sorry for the quick post; I've got a lot of exciting stuff I want to work on and read tonight. I will catch up with all yr blogs soon! STAY WARM AND EAT SRIRACHA.

16 comments:

  1. You're such a tease! "I've got a lot of exciting stuff I want to work on". Do share (if you want)!

    Sriracha always helps with keeping warm.

    The salads both look really inviting, but the minestrone and the miso bowl are really appealing. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, G and I are working on putting out a zine at work so I've got to buckle down and actually write some new poems, or at least get a collage done. Also working on a new Umlaut + potential comic, sooo just low-key creative juices, you know!
      The minestrone was great with the rice in it rather than pasta. A far cry from the Campbells of childhood.

      Delete
  2. As always I'm so jealous of your meals, especially those gorgeous soups. The miso udon looks especially tempting. Your salads are always amazing. Haha I should keep a bottle of sriracha at work because IT IS SO COLD IN THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The udon soup was great. Really mushroomy.
      You should make sriracha tea at work to REALLY stay warm. Uhh..and maybe retch. Sorry, bad idea.

      Delete
  3. That worked; I want sriracha. I definitely did something wrong when I roasted my squash; the skin peeled off independently :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean there are times when you DON'T want sriracha??

      Delete
  4. I see your blog on my feed with the world sriracha below it. I forget everything else I should have been doing at the moment to pop in and see what you've done with it. I am not disappointed :)

    The hot ginger udon soup sounds amazing.

    I'm pretty sure I've read that book, but it's been a while.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad it lived up to yr expectations. I hope you weren't reading at work!! That may be a more pressing concern than sriracha. maybe.
      The book is interesting. I borrowed it from work and I'm trying to figure out if I like it enough to buy... All I want is an altar.

      Delete
  5. I hear you on having a hard time seeing other people eat certain things. I have to not pay attention to other diners when we're out because otherwise it makes me sad & disgusted.

    That Wicca books sounds intriguing. What do you think of it so far?

    All of your food looks awesome, as usual. Really fresh & colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wicca book is very nice. Nonjudgemental and not too traditional. I feel calmer just reading it and not even doing the exercises! It's interesting reading even for people who don't particularly want to practice Wicca, but just be open to more experiences.
      Recommended, for sure. Scott Cunningham has a bunch of those books and he's pretty well respected.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm going to see if our library has it. I don't practice Wicca, but I am Pagan and love reading stuff like this. It's been a long time since I have.

      Delete
  6. You always eat the best food with G.

    Coffee, Chocolate and learning to cast spells. Interesting way to start the day.

    I've only been to Le Pain Quotidien twice. Wish I could go more often. And by that I mean, I think TTRockwood's suggestion was solid. Whomever that person may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to eat salads but G convinced me that it was cold enough for soup. I was not disappointed.
      LPQ is very close to my work. I may start stopping in occasionally...It's always that first time at a new place that gives me anxiety. Are you not close by, or why do you not go more often?

      Delete
  7. No LPQ nearby as yet. My first LPQ experience was at Columbus Circle. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some intensely heavy eats...not yours, but the ones you described. I think we have similar tastes in reading material, I just finished a book on thought forms that was so good...the front cover makes it look super cheesy but the content is great, I highly recommend, it's called "magical use of thought forms" by two authors, dolores and herbie. Lots of good food for thought. Stay warm and eat Sriracha sounds like it should be a t-shirt, ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, interesting! I'll have to take a look at that book. I like food for thought alongside food for my mouth.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.