Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

NYC Vegan Tour: Integral Natural Foods

So yesterday I saw a tweet...on Twitter...which is where you see tweets...that Gone Pie would have some really delicious (vegan+gluten free) treats at Integral Yoga (it is a yoga studio and wellness spa next door to a natural health foods store + apothecary) . I was especially feeling the mention of blueberry cheesecake, and it was my day off and I had to go into the city anyway to copy zines SO, I headed out.
One of my roommates used to work at Integral and I think I visited him there once a long time ago, but didn't remember much of the place. Occasionally I'll hear of events happening there or see tweets about goodies but I love browsing new health food stores so it's funny that I haven't gone back.
It's situated in the West Village on 13th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues, just south of Chelsea.
A bit of the surrounding area:

And the storefront itself:


Anyway, I wanted to take photos inside for you guys but it's kind of small and it was crowded. The staff seems really knowledgeable and it had a co-op-y vibe in that they were all having long conversations with old ladies asking them about their diets ("I don't eat bread anymore at all.") and dads walking their kids around the aisles ("I think you like the plain one." "No, the chocolate."). There is a juice bar/deli in the back, as well as a surprisingly stocked bulk sections - like, bulk kombu and himalayan pink salts or hot paprika - alongside the usual suspects of granola, etc.
There is fresh produce in the back, a small medicinal and household goods section, and prepared foods. I couldn't find the Gone Pie products (!) but did see raw desserts prepared by Rockin Raw. Like, Raw German Chocolate cake that looked INCREDIBLE but they were pretty expensive (as most raw desserts are - $9.35 for a big slice) and I definitely did not need to eat one of those myself.
Instead, I picked up these items:

Funny to pick up a Liquiteria juice elsewhere than Liquiteria but this was on sale! (It was probably a day old or something) Usually these are 8 bucks. They also carry juices from Terri and The Squeeze.

A Reed's Culture Club Kombucha. Shen, this is what you found, right? This is a Ginger-Goji flavor. It was very good. (Drank it the next day.) I realize now that Reed's also makes a ginger candy that I like a lot. Dudes know Ginger.
And this Kale-Quinoa salad with cranberries from The Squeeze (whose food truck I visited last year.)

Eh, it was okay. There was basil and hazelnuts in it, which gave the salad a pesto-y flavor that I didn't really expect and the cranberries were too sweet. The kale was also not wilted enough, in my opinion. Not particularly recommended.
The store though, was great. I'll definitely be back and try at a different time to get some interior shots for you. And maybe find the Gone Pie stuff?? Abby, do you know where that sort of stuff goes? I guess I could have asked an employee...
Outside was this sad state:

 But you guys know the veganized saying, there's no use crying over spilled tomatoes.
I copied my zines and walked downtown. Here are a couple more shots from the walk back.


And home again, home again, jiggety jig. From the J train subway platform:

29 comments:

  1. I think I would love that health food store. The ginger goji kombucha looks especially good. Nice shots of the neighborhood. And cranberries in kale salad sounds great. And simple. Why haven't I thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A homemade version probably would have tasted a lot better than this one. Now that the seed is planted....;)

      Delete
  2. A bulk section with kombu and Himalayan pink salt? That is well stocked! I hope the person who spilled her/his tomatoes was vegan and therefore knew the old adage about not crying over them. I can usually control myself when the tomato clamshell pops open unexpectedly, but when it's blueberries? Get the hankies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberries! I would be crying right along with you. And into that gross NYC rainwater/gutterwater/car oil puddle! Bleh!

      Delete
  3. I really love seeing pictures of the areas you go to. Everything has a lot of character. That store sounds awesome. Too bad the salad wasn't that great, but everything else sounds pretty awesome. Culture Club- I love that! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the photos! It'll tide you and mike over until you get the Airstream.

      Delete
  4. Holy ouch that stuff is expensive. I understand that real food costs real money, but $8 for a single serving of juice is nutso. At least you got it on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bulk departments with lots of variety totally rule! I once worked at health food store in Vermont that had a great bulk department (it even had bulk tahini!). Now it's defunct and the space is occupied by a Subway shop. :-( But anyway, the salad aside, this store sounds great. Reed's is definitely the first name in ginger products. I love their Extra Ginger Brew as a summertime treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, bulk tahini sounds too cool. Subway is like 95 steps down from that. I'll look for the Reeds summer drink! Ginger is so good.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy the snapshots of NYC you show us. There's no place like NY, and I miss going there. As for the store — it sounds almost too good to be true, in a uber cool kind of way. It reminds me of a Natural Foods Market we visited in Marin. Yikes. They had everything you could think of and tons of stuff I couldn't even identify. I'd love to be able to shop there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. They're just quick shots to go along with the quick pace of the city, ha.
      I think we all know the feeling of being able to spend far too much time browsing the shelves of natural food stores.

      Delete
  7. With Whole Foods & Trader Joe's, I just assume there is no need to go to a 'health food' store anymore, but you've proved otherwise.

    Yes, that is the Kombucha brand I had on Sunday, I got the Ginger Cranberry $2.50. Pretty good stuff.

    Shame about the Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WF has a lot of great stuff but NOT bulk pink Himalayan salt...
      I found broccoli on the ground yesterday too. It's a sad state for vegetables lately.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Love these photos! I know it's hard to grab pictures inside cramped and densely populated places, but honestly I love the exterior shots a lot.

    Next time bring a pal who will share a piece of expensive raw dessert with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ingrid, I'll try FOR YOU! I thought the exterior of the store was sweet, at least.
      Seriously, what is wrong with people when you can't rustle up a friend to help you eat a dessert??!

      Delete
  9. I feel like I've heard of this place before! It sounds really great and they definitely seem to have a lot of stuff I'd be into trying. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in the city! Once it gets a bit warmer I'm planning on trying to get in there to do some street photography to save my soul from the crap I've been shooting. Anyway, speaking of street photography (ha!), love all of your captures! The German Chocolate Cake sounds really amazing, I may actually splurge on it if it's there when I go. I'll make it last for a week, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you would love this store, I think. I'd like to see some shots even around yr neighborhood! Though it is a little cold to get out and just wander around, haha. Thank you for the compliment, Sarah...the shots aren't great but I wanted people to get an idea of the city.

      Delete
  10. In the back! to right On the counter and in the case! Oh noes; I was really hoping this blogpost was going to have a happy ending :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I am close :) I blame you for getting me hooked!

      Delete
  11. WHAT!?!?! So sorry... I was hoping for a happy ending too! I do love that store, so I'm glad you had a look around. Guess you might have to check out a Pop Up Shop to find the Gone Pie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I'll check Perelandra next time I can too.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Power to you for getting a green juice instead of a raw cake, I know what I would have done in that situation, ha ha! Poor spilled tomatoes, so tragic! New York is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not to say I wasn't tempted...but the juice was cheaper and I didn't want to mess the cake up on the walk back. Eh.

      Delete
  14. I've been here before! I stopped her once for some last-minute ingredients before doing a cooking demo at Broadway Panhandler.

    NYC has so many awesome veg-centric places that it's mind-numbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you did that demo, I'm bummed I missed it but I was working. Do you think you'll be doing another sometime?

      Delete
  15. $10 for a slice of cake? Holy crap! Mind you, I'd probably find myself reaching for my wallet nonetheless... good cake can do that to you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, I can understand. I wasn't POSITIVE it'd be good though and did NOT want to be disappointed at that price.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.