Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cranberry Plan(berrie)s

Leftover fresh cranberries from Christmas. Luckily they are hardy and keep well in the fridge. So as to not let them linger (See what I did there??? Cranberries?? Linger?? Whoooo anyway) I boiled the rest of the bag (maybe a cup and a half's worth?) in water with agave syrup, some dried orange peel, ground cinnamon and ginger.


I just cooked it all down until the berries were burst and most of the water had cooked out. Then I probably added more agave. Thennnnn, magic!!


To be honest, while I love repping local brands (Breuckelen being the original Dutch spelling of Brooklyn), I bought this kind of gin primarily because the design is so cool. The flavor is not exactly my favorite. I'm more of a Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's fan...but, WHATEV.
Cranberry-Agave compote + Breucklen + lime seltzer:


Yeah! Like I said, I think the flavor of the gin is not one I'm used to, but I liked the drink enough to have three. For the more virtuous of you, I also set aside some of the compote and mixed it up with a chopped apple that was also lingering its last legs, about 1/4 cup of chia seeds, water and almond milk.


And...that's that. I'm gonna go finish off the rest of the cranberry compote...in gin form.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic! While I'm not really a gin person, everything all together sounds really refreshing. I'll definitely take the compote with the apple, etc.. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it was nice with the apple!

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha Cranberries... linger. Love it! This cranberry relish sounds absolutely delicious! I am not a big drinker but this cocktail looks great. Although I'd probably try it with vodka bc I can't imagine I'd do well with gin ;) Beautiful color too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed that stupid joke because no one else did!! (I did) Vodka works too; I've been drinking a bit of that lately as well... funny that that's one of the few liquors you like, it's pretty intense, haha.

      Delete
  3. Like Molly & VaVa, I can't do Gin. But, hey, looks like you made the house smell good without burning it down and then had a party-for-one. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty and delicious too. I love cranberry drinks. And I probably would have ate most of that compote with a spoon if it were in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki. I made another version yesterday with cranberry kombucha, the compote, and gin! Cranberry drinks really are refreshing - when they're made with the real thing, that is.

      Delete
  5. I love use-it-up posts like this! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...especially when they end with drinks :)

      Delete
  6. VM has been drinking apple cider vinegar in water (those damn vegetarians and their cholesteral), so I've just suggested your last libation to her. I'll hold off on the gin for now, but I may make your compote to go with some chickpea cutlets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know ACV helped with cholesterol too but that's great; I hope she likes it. The best cranberry sauce I ever made was the one in The Tipsy Vegan - it had vermouth and lemon peel and was SO GREAT with chickpea cutlets!

      Delete
  7. If I had a hat, I would take it off right now. Spare cranberries, I thought, what to with them? Sauce? Some sort of dessert? No - cocktails! You did right lady!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.