Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, December 13, 2012

YOU KNOW

I prepared a salad and packaged it up into three salads so I have no excuse to spend money on lunch while letting vegetables wilt at home.


The base of both of these is raw chard, tomato, red bell pepper, zucchini, and carrot. Added alfalfa + clover sprouts to each. Nooch, balsamic vinegar, and sunflower seeds to the top salad; cooked lentils and Braggs to the bottom.
That said, the day before salad prep was an incredible salad from Paradis:


Oh MAN guys. This was arugula, raddichio, "winter slaw" - basically shredded carrots and red cabbage, roasted peanuts, marinated black beans - whatever that means, they were tangy and like what I imagine fermented black beans to taste like, roasted cauliflower and black sesame seeds. A gingery-peanutty-soy sauce dressing came on the side, but the salad itself was already so flavorful I didn't use much. Spot on.
A very beige snack:


Black pepper gf Mary's Gone Crackers and kalamata olive hummus.
Another snack a different day: satsuma, Pink Lady apple.


A different chia pudding, this recipe from Terry Hope Romero. I'm really getting into the chia puddings.



So, some pretty nicely incorporated raw stuff but sticking with the standard miso way to end the evening:



See y'all later.

14 comments:

  1. What gorgeous meals! Your salads are always enviable and that Paradis salad omg! It looks like heaven! So colorful and pretty! I printed the cranberry chia pudding recipe you posted the other day, I'll have to check this one out! Your miso soup seriously always looks amazing! This bowl is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Paradis salad gorgeous? Definitely try either chia pudding! I kind of like the tartness of the cranberry one better but you can play around with the toppings on this one.

      Delete
  2. I would like you to make me my lunches and snacks please! Your choices are so colorful and well-balanced. Plus, crackers and hummus are essential, like water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and done! And yes to hummus and crackers at all times.

      Delete
  3. I'm having a serious chia pudding phase lately....! Have you been to quintessence in the e village? They have a chia pudding that will blow you away- cashew cream is involved.
    I have to pack my lunches since options near my work are either sketchy or scary...or just lame.
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! How do you prepare it?? I have been to Quintessence, I really like it but I've not tried their chia pudding. I wish I packed my lunches more often. Didn't you say you worked in midtown or something?

      Delete
  4. Goddamn does that Paradis salad look incredible. I love Mary's Crackers with hummus, and Pink Lady apples are so good, but we don't have them here - I keep telling Mike there's a wide world of apples out there and that Granny Smiths aren't the only good ones, but he doesn't believe me - but he's never had a pink lady apple. But I digress. And chia puddings rock, I remember seeing Terry post that recipe not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I was talking with a girl at work about apples... She only ever ate like one or two kinds, and she's from upstate! Where all the apples are! I was like YOU CRAZY. Granny Smiths are okay but I'm on a big Pink Lady kick recently.

      Delete
  5. Yum, a lot of great meals happening here. I think what I need to do is add some more substance to my salads. Perhaps heat beans or whatever, then add them to the salad -that way it's not too cold. What do you do?

    Hummus and crackers are always a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Substance is sustenance! And it makes it fun and a little less repetitive of a meal. I really don't mind eating cold meals in the winter so I just eat the beans as cold leftovers but warm beans on salad are pretty nice...especially cannelloni beans in raw kale salads.

      Delete
  6. oooh i love a good salad! my mouth is watering! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do. same here. When they're good they're great.

      Delete
  7. I've got my first bag of chia (yeah, bit behind the food curve over here in Blighty). Reckon the THR recipe is the best one for a beginner?

    And what are clever sprouts? Can they do the super fiendish Sudoku?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo you have begun a new step of the journey! Like I said to Sarah in the comments above, I like the tartness of the cranberry pudding..and it seemed to blend better for me, but this one is easy to play around with so you can add toppings that might help you disguise the weird texture until you get used to it.
      I think ALL sprouts are clever sprouts! True brain food if there ever was any.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.