Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, December 2, 2012

NYC Vegan Tour: Brooklyn Brewery

You guys might read this post and just think this is an excuse for me to drink but, um, somehow it's not. Brooklyn Brewery has committed itself to brewing the majority vegan beers (no isinglass filtering or other animal products, however, three of their beers have honey in them - I only found this out minutes ago...Local 2, Buzz Bomb, The Concoction). I like to rep local, small companies and I feel like BK Brewery is pretty dedicated to the DIY aspect (totally important to vegans!) of brewing, the community (both Brooklyn itself and the beer community), having fun with it and doing work they love (well duh, it's beer.)
Anyway, they offer tastings and tours on weekends and I've been wanting to go for SO LONG and finally made it out there with partner in grime, Greg.


Tours are free; tokens for beer are $5. I picked a Sorachi Ace to accompany me on the tour, which, for such a refreshing and light tasting beer is 7.8% ABV. I swear I only picked it because it's not one you see in stores.


Okay, so the tour was cool. Apparently the brewery had just expanded so we were seeing a lot of equipment and space that most people hadn't seen before. I took a lot of photos on the tour but so I'll try to narrow it down for those of you who don't care about smooth, clean (and it did look pretty spotless), stainless steel.

                                             Tour guide showing off hops, malt, and barley.
                                                        malt and hops in pellet form

Outside of the brewing rooms, the front of the brewery was a bar with benches, a small gift shack, and some extra history information about the company in a timeline (most interestingly, to me, that Milton Glaser designed the Brooklyn logo - for free, but for a piece of the company and a lifetime supply of beer! Ha!)

        I don't know if you can see it, but there are beer cans as ornaments on the tree. Gangsta.
We also tried a There Will Be Black beer and a Winter Ale, spiced with anise seed (but not really licorice-y, Andrea!) that was delicious.

So, there it is. Vegan or not (and I SWEAR I thought ALL their beers were vegan), it's a fun outing and worth the trip if yr into quirky stuff like that. And beer.
Tomorrow I will show you the food we got to soak up the booze. Here's where we Cheers, Ingrid!

12 comments:

  1. Some people will do anything for a chance to drink — even write a blog post! Hey, even I did that. I happen to be very fond of large, round stainless steel tanks with large pipes emerging from the top. I think your support of local beer is great — even if they do sneak anise into some of it. And honey. That's pretty cool about Milton Glaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll have to find yr post about it! Yeah, I like milton Glaser's stuff. I always thought BB had a nice logo before I knew it was his.

      Delete
  2. What a great post Maud!! Sounds like a really great tour, a fun way to spend a day! I don't really drink beer but a brewery tour sounds like a lot of fun! I like the tree too ;) can't wait to see what you ate to soak up the booze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even if people don't drink, it's a pretty interesting history of the company and a cool look at the inner workings.

      Delete
  3. So cool! It looks like such a neat place, and a great way to spend the day. While I wouldn't tour the giant Coors (again - as mentioned, I went years ago before I was of legal drinking age) or Budweiser factories, I would like to go to one of our local microbreweries or to the Stranahan whiskey factory.

    I loved all of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say we really spent the dayyy, haha, it was like a 15 minute tour. But we talked to one girl who was there for the 2 pm tour and hung out until like 6. Oh, and I forgot to mention that you can bring yr own food in or get stuff delivered there, so you COULD make an indoor picnic-y day, I guess. How big is the Coors factory?? A whiskey factory sounds so awesome!!

      Delete
  4. Yay brewery! :) I love the beer can tree, ha ha ha! I really love holiday-style beer...we just picked some up yesterday, and I love when the restaurants start carrying it. I bet anise would be awesome in a brew! It's super cool that the place is vegan too...I'm really not very careful about that at all. Unless a beer is very obviously non-vegan (like if it has honey in it). I dunno, I guess we all draw the line somewhere and my line is at the booze? Ha ha! But I really should try harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what kind of winter beer do you get up there? I love most of them. Have you ever thought about home brewing? I wish I had enough space for that.

      Delete
  5. I love brewery tours! Great post!

    7.8%...that's my kind of beer, especially if it's not heavy tasting. What a fun day out; I'm looking forward to the food portion of the outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the Sorachi was delicious but the Winter Ale was also really great. The Black IPA was kinda too bitter but not thick or heavy like a stout.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a beer drinker, but love to hear the names that they come up with. Mike would have loved the tour (he's a big lover of local beers). Such a great idea for decorating their tree! That would have been my favorite part of the tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks all edumacational. I always wanted to tour the Heineken Factory in Amsterdam. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.