Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, December 10, 2012

Color Kaleidescope

Been busy; here's some catching up.
Carrot-ginger soup from Whole Foods in Union Square Park the other day. I also took some spinach off the cold bar to add some greens and nutrition to the soup. It wasn't the best idea, haha, because it didn't wilt as much as I thought it would in the hot soup and it just made it really difficult to coordinate eating and not spilling etc. I'm a bit of a klutz.


But also, THIS time, as I was eating (or trying to) a woman came up to me and asked if I knew where to buy cheap books, (turns out, I DO as I work in a used bookstore...) Before I could answer, she continued, "sorry to bother you while you're eating oh watch out for that squirrel they love to steal people's food would you believe it some squirrels broke into my kitchen once I'm not from around here oh I started screaming when I saw those squirrels and I called my landlord I'm sorry to bother you but you can get rabies what is that you're eating anyway oh carrot ginger soup is that from Whole Foods yeah it's good I get that sometimes too so do you know where to get cheap books my friend told me she wanted a book I'm not really a reader I wanted to get her a scarf but she wanted a book so oh, down Broadway, you say which way is that I'm not from around here do you live around here I'm sorry to bother you but you looked smart so I thought I'd ask oh you work around here oh I asked the right person well have a good day watch out for the squirrels." She was a nice lady.
Other orange stuff:
Sweet potato drop biscuits from Appetite for Reduction.


I've made em before and I really like them. Ate two and brought the rest for a co-worker's birthday thing at a bar. This guy is such an unhealthy eater and loves to bring up my veganism but he's not really doing it in an antagonistic way - he just loves meat. He always says he'd be the best person to test meat analogues on. In any case, he really liked the biscuits.
More orange: In case you can't tell, I had a huge sweet potato leftover from Thanksgiving to use up.


This is sweet potato mash mixed with garlic hummus over raw kale with tempeh and sriracha.
Different kind of pretty coloring/ seasonal ingredients: Kristen's Raw Cranberry Chia pudding.


Really delicious. I recommend this for anyone wary about chia puddings. I'm not super picky about my own chia puddings but I'd first suggest a recipe from someone who's actually a professional at this. It might not look pretty but ya gotta believe.
And, finally, just a random lunch from Paradis. I kinda swore them off a while back because they pissed me off with all their superfluous cheese additions but when they're on, they're ON. This is quinoa with curried chickpeas, roasted (blue!) potatoes, roasted cauli and broccoli with scallions and a tomato salata.



Okay, I'll be back tomorrow with a vegan tour of NOT NYC. Hope you're all well. I'll leave you with something a little darker. I saw Psychic TV with Bryin Dall and King Dude on Friday night. That was pretty magickkk.

24 comments:

  1. Well the soup looks pretty, even if it was awkward to eat. And I mean hey, people with incredible run-on sentences just add to the fun. :) I like your random people stories! And yeah, people can be weird about chia puddings - I love the stuff, even just chia, soy milk and a little sweetener. So much yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, simple chia puddings are still pretty tasty once you get used to them. I wonder if I ate those in public if people would still approach me, or if it's something about the soup...

      Delete
  2. I have totally pulled the "add spinach to ___ [insert soup or grain or whatever else] and assume it will wilt, but it doesn't." Always a bummer.

    You sure do meet some characters!

    I'm glad you gave a good review to those sweet potato biscuits. I have that book and always like to hear reviews of recipes before I try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What have you made from AFR? I've loved everything I've made from it so far.

      Delete
  3. Oh man that story is hilarious! You really do meet some interesting people and it's always good for a laugh and a story :)

    I'm with you, I've added spinach to many dishes with the hope that it'll wilt and wah wah never does, ha! It still looks yummy though! Mmm biscuits :)

    The cranberry chia pudding looks gorgeous, I'm going to have to check out that recipe! I still have tons of chia seeds to use up. Beautiful meal from Paradis, glad they got their act together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think spinach needs direct heat. Or at leas to be in smaller pieces. Definitely check out the chia recipe! It even has a sweet affirmation that you do while making it.

      Delete
  4. Kaleidoscope and how! Gorgeous rainbow of yumminess. And you are far kinder and more patient with people than curmudgeonly me could ever be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I like talking to strangers. moreso than talking with people I know.

      Delete
  5. Just when I thought I couldn't like the random-woman-in-the-park story more, "...you looked smart..."

    I have a recipe for sweet potato challah that I really need to get on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "smart" vibe was the steaming up action on my glasses. Sweet potato challah sounds bomb! Please do make that, I'd love to read about it!

      Delete
  6. You have some interesting lunchtime conversations. Even though you claim not to be sociable, you must be sending out "approachable" vibes. Or maybe it was the fragrance of the carrot-ginger that lured her, and she figured you were pretty smart to be eating such a delicious lunch. The Paradis lunch looks especially delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably the carrot-ginger scent. Or like attracts like. me and all the NY crazies hanging out in parks.

      Delete
  7. I hope the lady found her way to your book store and was gone before you returned from lunch. It would never cross my mind to embellish a soup from WF's, so I guess the out-of-town lady was right about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't see her at the store. I'm not sure she ever made it, as she seemed pretty confused about which block to walk down. "THAT BIG ONE RIGHT THERE."

      Delete
  8. I seem to attract people like that, too, who are so nice but talk your ear off. Always makes for an interesting story. :)

    The sweet potato mash meal sounds so good. I'd be all over that.

    I'm digging that King Dude song. Thanks for sharing it! Always love to hear great music I've never heard before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love a good rambling story but I never know how to get out of it. Oh well.
      Glad you liked the song! He's pretty new to me but I am smitten.

      Delete
  9. Ha! I always wonder about people who divulge so much information with a stranger - there must be a trustworthy vibe you are sending out into the world. ;)

    Carrot Ginger soup from WF was what inspired me to make my own. Nice and spicy! I will have to try out that recipe from AFR, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trustworthy or "about to be attacked by squirrel." I bet yr soup tastes better than WF's. I was kind of unimpressed.

      Delete
  10. Liking the drop biscuits over there - make something a bit more orange and I'm there.
    I've still yet to try the whole chia thing. I've got a packet of chia sitting in my cupboard, but I'm kind of leery of it. The chia puddings I've seen look a bit like frogs spawn. Yours doesn't have that spawny vibe going on - think it's the big red redness. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and take the chia plunge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you still sort of see the frog spawn/eyeball vibe but A LITTLE less than usual. The taste is worth it though!

      Delete
  11. That woman is hilariously awesome--I would love it if she somehow found your blog. Wouldn't that be nuts? (Pun so intended.)

    I'm now craving biscuits too...shoot. Dinner, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, give it 10 more years and I'm totally that lady. Shout out to Squirrel Lady if yr reading!
      Yes! Biscuit and gravy dinner! Do it!

      Delete
  12. The squirrel lady does sound nice and funny...I like people like that. So, did any squirrels attempt to steal your soup? I bet they'd prefer the sweet potato drop biscuits!

    The food is all very colorful and healthy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked her too. The squirrels must have sensed that I was aware of their devious plans and stayed away.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.