Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, November 23, 2012

Vegan Thanksgiving

New cameroni and whoo does it feel good. I bought the camera (a simple Canon Powershot) a couple days before Thanksgiving because I knew that's where all the fun food is (unless you are Shen - see, I still remember you guys!) and I didn't want to miss documenting that.
This year was a small gathering of me, my parents, and my uncle at my other uncle and aunt's house up in Harlem.
I hauled uptown with me a Three Sisters Deep-Dish Pie (really more like a casserole) that I first saw in Terry Walter's Clean Food. As much as I love her cookbooks - I have her other, Clean Start - I didn't want to buy one right now so I searched to see if the recipe was online. Luckily, it is!


It was really tasty! The only thing I changed was to use butternut squash instead of delicata because I couldn't find any at the last minute at the Farmer's market. I think this made it a little sweeter than intended, so if you make a similar swap, I would up the amount of Braggs (actually, now that I think of it, I used tamari instead of Braggs) or saute the vegetables originally with a bit of salt. It was pretty easy to make - I cooked the squash the night before and made the rest of it the next morning, just to save some time. There is a lot of chopping involved, though, but not really a big deal. I also think a homemade crust would be really nice made into a lattice topping if you make yr own. I defrosted a store bought because I'm lazy like that.


I also contributed mini Chocolate Pear Ginger Loaves from Nava Atlas' Vegan Holiday Kitchen, which I've made before. This was more for my sake than for a lack of desserts - there were three pies, gingerbread, and Apple Betty for the non-vegans (uh, being everyone except me, although my uncle has stopped eating meat!)


The loaves were decent, although I remember them tasting a little better last time. The flavor was just a little flat but the bites of candied ginger were great.
Also on my plate was a delicious cranberry sauce with pear and vanilla (a Williams Sonoma recipe, according to my aunt), braised Brussels sprouts with escarole, roasted root vegetables, shiitake and chanterelle mushrooms cooked in Marsala by my dad, and a spicy yam-corn soup. Plus wine! It was very low key and casual, which I really liked. And the smaller group of people meant leftovers!!
The previous Sunday, one of my best friends hosted pre-Thanksgiving at her apartment, for which I made V'con's Chickpea Cutlets (duh) and pumpkin chocolate-chip cookies, but I didn't have the camera at that point. No one there was vegan either but my other best friend made her butternut squash soup with vegetable oil and vegetable stock so I could have some, which was very sweet of her. And the soup was great. It was cute, actually - she was texting me the night before, "Is vegetable oil vegan??" "I have vegan anxiety!!" She brought pickles to a party I had once and told me she had asked the pickle vendor if they were vegan, haha. Anyway, that was a lot of fun too. Especially with the awwwwesome cocktails her boyfriend was making - cinnamon infused simple syrup with Cointreau, brandy, and lime juice. Oh yes.
One more photo since this is mostly me talking about how I don't have photos. This is Haxan getting comfortable OF COURSE right on top of the cookbook open to the page I need to reference... and DARING me to push her off.

24 comments:

  1. WANTS to help. Every time I comment here it changes what I write! Ghost in the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird glitches! She certainly did try to help while I was cooking, jumping up on the counter and sniffing around the stove!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh Haxan, cutie face!! I'm so excited that you got a new camera! And I'm especially excited that you broke it in at Thanksgiving :) Your food looks so delicious! The loaves look so delicious! Your plate sounds perfect, it seems like you had a pretty good Thanksgiving! Can't wait to see what else you cook up!

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back. I'm starting strong... not sure if the rest of the posts are going to live up to Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. If you need any other recipes from Clean Food, let me know - I own the cookbook! I think the loaves look exceptionally tasty.

    Haxan is too cute! She's got the look of, "what? you want me to move?".

    I am SO HAPPY you have a new camera, and that you are back full force. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a great cookbook! You know, I went back and checked when I made the loaves last time and I had the same thing to say about them! They look nice but I think the recipe isn't super strong. Oh well. Now that I've done it twice, hopefully I'll know not to make them again, haha.
      Haha, I know. Haxan is the cutest little brat.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and what recipes have you made from Clean Food?? I'll have to check yr tags.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you back — yay for the new camera. Thanksgiving sounds really nice — I like a relaxed holiday, especially when people are trying to make sure at least some of the food is vegan. That means less of the food was dependent on animals than would have been the case if you weren't there. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! my family is very understanding about veganism. And I'm proud of my uncle! I hope you had a relaxed and happy Thanksgiving too.

      Delete
  5. Woohoo a new camera! Pics and food look great. Welcome back sounds like you had a lot on your plate, and thankfully not a face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GiGi! No faces on this plate, sho nuff.

      Delete
  6. I'm starting to think that casseroles are a requirement for vegan holidays. I did the same, and I made a loaf of pumpkin gingerbread for dessert. It's the best way to go! Congrats on the new camera too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's probably because they are usually one-dish meals (though this wasn't) and serve a ton of people. I was thinking about making a baked bean casserole with cornbread topping but we all thought that might be too heavy. This was juuuust right.
      Pumpkin gingerbread sounds delicious. I should try to make that!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you got a new camera. Does this mean you're finally gonna finish your Vegan Mofo tour of New York?

    Your Thankgiving sounds really excellent and it's great to see Haxan again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the time away but I needed the blog to ground me, haha. And I'm way too OCD not to want to document as much stuff as I can.
      I did keep my moFo notes so I'll definitely try to do as much of that as I can. It was fun.
      Haxan missed all the glamor photo ops, but she'd never admit that of course.

      Delete
  8. Cats are just wise like that...they know where the most desirable territory is.

    Your Thanksgiving sounds really nice. I like laid back holidays too. The three sisters pie looks tasty...perfect for an autumn celebration. I loooove the sound of those cocktails too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the pie was really delicious. I'd like to make it again and add some spices. The colors of fall food are so beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Yay for black cats and Thanksgiving!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not just for Halloween anymore!

      Delete
  10. Awesome feline stinkeye! So glad you're camerafied and back; your 2 Thanksgivings sound delicious and your fellow diners kind and open-minded. For every thoughtful person who checks the veganity of pickles, there are 12 that let you eat something and then say, "you'd never guess there were anchovies in that, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds as if you definitely had enough good vegan food to eat on Thanksgiving.

    The pre-Thanksgiving sounds fun too. Usually I get annoyed when people ask if things are vegan that to me are obviously vegan, but your friend sounds cute, and it was really nice of her to vegan-ize her soup.

    If I didn't know better, I'd be scared of that cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything sounds amazing. I have the Terry Walters book, and it's full of gems.

    Glad to see you back! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nifty choice on the main course! I usually just get lazy and go the tofurky route, ha ha. :) That's awesome that you have a veg uncle - it's nice having family on side. My mom doesn't really eat meat (it raises her blood pressure), so it's kinda nice. Your friend is adorable with her vegan anxiety, and gotta love a man who makes good cocktails! Haxan, so badass.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.