Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 6: Liquiteria

Okay, this is the last of the "I'm sick, feel bad for me!" posts because I'm pretty sure Liquiteria did the final karate chop on kicking the cold out of me.
Yesterday I needed a pick me up in the afternoon, plus some illness-fighting nutrients so I stopped by Liquiteria.

Liquiteria (on 2nd ave and 11th st.) is primarily a juice and smoothie bar. There are customizable drinks and lots of wellness add-ins like echinacea, Vitamin C, energy boosters, detox juices, bee pollen, etc.They also have a small selection of rotating soups, plus a few different sandwiches and vegan baked goods. It's super clean and bright inside and smells like wheatgrass and lawn clippings, so you feel healthy almost as soon as you walk in.
I got a small fresh squeezed greens with carrot juice (cucumber, celery, parsley, kale, carrot):

It really hit the spot and I perked up almost immediately.
There is also a refrigerator inside of non-pasteurized pressed juices already made. I picked up The Killer XX to enjoy today:

There's an immunity boost inside this DELICIOUS juice. It almost makes me wish I were sick more often so I could have an excuse to keep buying this. They also sell a Killer X, but the double XX means this is super ginger-y and really spicy. Hurts so good. I wish I could have gotten a shot of all the red cayenne sediment at the bottom of the bottle!
So, if you need a natural burst of energy or a delicious healthy treat, I'd definitely point you to Liquiteria. The soups are good and filling too, and the employees are always nice and often offering samples (the Grasshopper - apple, pear, pineapple, wheatgrass, and mint - is a popular one). Plus, the walls have clippings of celebrities who have stopped in. Maybe if you sit and sip yr smoothie long enough, you'll run into Russell Simmons or Leonardo DiCaprio! (I haven't.)

31 comments:

  1. If I were you I would do one more "feel bad for me" post. Vegans have a lot of compassion, so you might be able to get some mileage out of the cold. Afterall it gave you a theme..soup ,detox juice.*smells like lawn clippings* haha. The juice looks healing except the pollen would do me in, along with the lawn clippings. Great photos. Um uh, Feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *COUGH COUCH COUGH HACK HACK COUUUUUUGH*

      Delete
  2. So lucky!!!! I wish I could just drop by a place like this any old day like you do. I would be so healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I stop the moFo theme??? I don't want anyone to get jealous! New York is expensive and they bump into you on the street! management hoses down the sidewalk outside of my job every morning to wash away the homeless person/junkie smell! It's noisy! I can't have pet guinea fowl! Plus you have Everlasting Life Cafe! Eh? Eh?

      Delete
    2. Well, if you can't have a pet guinea fowl...

      Delete
    3. Absolutely not! This is a great theme and if I ever get to NYC again, I'm getting one of those Bagels with the Tofutti Cream Cheese! Keep em coming!

      (Guinea Fowl aren't exactly calm and cuddly pets. More like conversation pieces that eat bugs).

      Delete
  3. OH, that Killer XX is right up my alley! That's great that you have something like that close by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place! I wish we had more juice/smoothie places here on LI. Your drinks sound so good, I'm sure it knocked the cold right out of you! Good stuff! Loving your theme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I've heard of a couple juice bars out there. Was there one at that raw restaurant in Huntington?

      Delete
  5. I am SO JEALOUS! Just like Sarah, I wish we had some of those types of places around here. We have the one Juice truck, but I wasn't impressed, plus the usual Jamba Juice which doesn't have too many options. I definitely believe in those types of concoctions for feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, Jamba Juice is kind of a whole different category. I do like this place a lot, and it's no more expensive than other juice bars around.

      Delete
  6. i looooove liquiteria!! it's in such an amazing food neighborhood! angelica kitchen AND tulu's GF bakery!! score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, isn't it funny how certain neighborhoods have so many options, and others have none?? I don't think I've been to that bakery - I'll try to find it.

      Delete
  7. Love liquetera. AND the Norwalk Juicer!!!!! If you go there enough the Norwalk will see affordable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I try not to go too often. But I do need to start juicing more myself.

      Delete
  8. I've never really heard of this place. That's very nice. I had sort of declared two visits to NYC ago that the next time I went I would concentrate more on the healthier places and eat lots of raw and juice, etc. But then the next trip was with my one kid who wouldn't be as thrilled about that sort of trip. But next time! Well, lots of raw AND a trip to the doughnut place. I'm glad your sickies are on the way out. Just catching up on all of your mofo posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next trip! It's probably hard to find places that have food both you and yr kids will enjoy...this place does make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, though!!

      Delete
  9. Yeeeeehah, you got all roostered up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need the juice on a regular basis to stay healthy. No excuse needed. If it works that well when you're sick just think what it can do if you're well. Superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; I ought to do it more often. I just wish the clean up weren't such a pain.

      Delete
  11. Ooh the power of juice, it can be such a pick me up and I hope you're now feeling much better! It sounds like a great store, I hope I can visit it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fantastic and amazing, isn't it? I think you'll love it if you can visit!

      Delete
  12. i saw q-tip there once. he goes there a lot and one story has him hanging out there, then leonardo dicaprio shows up on a bike, q-tip borrows the liquiteria manager's bike and q-tip and leo go on a bike ride together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so unadventurous with juicing; I'm afraid the combos will make me yak! Maybe I'll taste a serious one one day and be turned around. Or, I'll hit the lottery and do a 3 day juice cleanse (I would assume 10-15 juices) and become a convert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I stick to the same couple combos but I doubt that Liquiteria can make a bad juice anyway. I really want to do a juice cleanse! But yes. They are $$$.

      Delete
    2. It's a toss-up: would I rather go broke on a juice cleanse or have to use & clean the juicer at home regularly. I'm leaning towards broke.

      Delete
  14. That Killer XX looks really good. Hope it was the final chop to your sick. And greens + carrot juice is regular favorite at my house. Cheers to feeling better this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still thinking about some of yr fennel concoctions!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.