Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 5: Manhattan Glam Chowder

As I mentioned the other day, I caught a nasty cold, probably the worst I've had since I became vegan about 6 years ago, though I feel a lot better today. I've been trying to eat my greens, drink lots of tea (okay, and whiskey), and mind my vitamins. I also immediately thought: soup!
After picking up a couple items at Mr. Kiwi the other day, I made a Manhattan winter standard: Manhattan "Glam" Chowder from Isa Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction.


I'm starting to think that part of the reason I like Isa's recipes so much is because they're always accompanied by anecdotes about her NYC childhood that I like to compare to mine (hers are usually a lot cooler though.) That, and the recipes are usually delicious.
I believe I've only had Manhattan clam chowder once, which differs from its New England counterpart in being tomato- rather than cream-based, so I can't say exactly how the vegan version compares with the original. Isa modifies the soup using shiitake mushrooms as a stand-in for the clams and adds crumbled nori sheets for a seafood-y taste. I added a dash of tamari to up the umami flavor and it really hit the spot. I thought the chowder was a little heavy on the potatoes, but maybe I just cut them too large. When I'm hungry and sick, I can get too lazy to chop properly.


I definitely recommend the soup. It's probably even better when you add the black pepper and thyme the recipe calls for - neither of which I could find, which got me humming Le Tigre's "I'm outta thyme, I'm outta fucking thyme." I think maybe Isa would approve of the tune as well as the soup.

26 comments:

  1. Oooh this recipe looks amazing and is so cute for your theme! Glad you are feeling better, hopefully you'll be 100% soon! Soup is the perfect choice for a yucky sick day and this one sounds hearty and amazing. I love the idea of adding nori for the seafoody taste, that's so smart! I have the cookbook and will have to keep this in mind for a cold winter day :)

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a hearty soup! The nori was interesting. I've had in in raw no-tuna dishes, and knew it was seafood-y (obviously) but would never have put it in a soup. It's good, though, and blends in well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It tastes even better than it looks.

      Delete
  3. I really like the cookbook, too, but have never made glam chowder. Yet, anyway. It looks like something I would like. Eat up and get well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot from this cookbook that I haven't made and would like to, but everything I've made so far has been really great.

      Delete
  4. Feel better, I need some comfort food right about now and I am living vicariously through your glam soup.
    Hey put a shot of whiskey in that soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiskey in soup! Now there's an idea. I once made mashed potatoes with whiskey in them; they tasted disgusting.

      Delete
    2. I hope there was enough whiskey left to drink after the mashed potato debacle.

      Delete
  5. I recall wanting to be like the cool kids, and eat clams and oysters, but it never happened. Nonetheless, I would eat Glam Chowder any day! It sounds amazing!

    Hope you're back to 100% today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not so cool anymore! I'll take compassion over coolness these days, especially since me ever being cool is kind of a lost cause.

      Delete
  6. The glam chowder looks perfect for sicky soup. The shiitake nori combo in tomato broth sounds really nice. I don't have AFR yet but it's at the top of my wish list. Maybe Christmas. Also, that Le Tigre line is not only perfect for your missing ingredient but now stuck on a loop in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's been stuck in my head too! We should have a simultaneous bi-coastal Deceptacon dance party!
      The cookbook is great; definitely a keeper.

      Delete
  7. Get well!!!!! I should try that chowder with hubby as he lived in Boston for awhile and STILL talks about the clam chowder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to looooovveee New England clam chowder. This isn't really similar but there ARE some incredible looking vegan NE clam chowder recipes out there. I think Kathy Patalsky has one, and I know Rose (Dandelion Vegan blog) does as well.

      Delete
  8. So that song (and video) just made my afternoon. Awesomeness. I've never seen clam chowder of any description in Australia so it's completely beyond my frame of reference, but shiitakes are always win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Fun stuff. Shiitakes AND Le Tigre! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Yum, that does look tasty. I've never had the Manhattan version of chowder; I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your incredible version of NE chowder though! I bet you could work wonders with this one.

      Delete
  10. Whiskey and tea do a body good! Rest up & heal quickly!

    As for the thyme-less soup, nom! It looks awesome (and chopping properly is overrated, I never do it). I definitely need to find Appetite for Reduction one of these days. Too many books, too little thyme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, I remember Rose's version as well. I think there was Cashew Cream. Wish she would update her blog.

    Anyway, beautiful soup. It looks like something I would really enjoy. But I can't buy the book just for one recipe, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never had either version of clam chowder, either vegan or non vegan. Time to fix that, I reckon - this looks right up my street. I salute both shiitakes and Le Tigre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! That's why I love Isa's recipes too! Okay, I didn't grow up in New York, and so I don't have the vantage point there. However, she really sets a scene and mood with her recipes. It makes me want to eat, say, her Pad Thai that was just like the Pad Thai she'd get at this hole in the wall place in Brooklyn, because I want to feel like I'm there too. It's the reason that I enjoy reading her books in addition to cooking from them. And yes, her food is delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a really hard time eating remotely healthy when I'm sick - my brain knows that my body wants green food and nutrients, but my body is all like "noodles and bread and crackers"! The body usually wins. I can't even stomach avocados! Tragedy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.