Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 20: The LES, part 3

Okay! Finally the end to the vegan trilogy of the Lower East Side! (Parts 1 and 2.)
I mentioned Bluestockings in yesterday's post. Well, if a vegan cookie and coffee isn't enough to tide you over, Tiengarden is right next door.
They've been around since the early 90s, at least, and they pretty much stick to the basics of early vegan Buddhist food. And, yes, the restaurant is entirely vegan!


I got the Buddha's Delight for 8 dollars (another lunch special!):
Tofu, shiitake mushroom, bok choy, broccoli, and carrot in a ginger sauce with a rice mix. Very generous portion and totally satisfying. The sauce is not overly greasy and the vegetables were the perfect mix of tender and crisp.
It's kind of confusing because there isn't much seating and I feel like most of their business is take-out but you order at a counter and sit wherever you want.
After a healthy lunch, I couldn't help but treat myself to um, a store full of candy. Enter, Economy Candy!

 Economy Candy is not vegan, but they are a candy store specializing in hard to find candy, bulk bins of....candy, as well as nuts and dried fruit alongside halvah and kosher sweets.
                                               (A SMALL selection of chocolates)
This store has been around since 1937! Since a large part of the LES was Jewish back then, the kosher sweets are important because they do not contain gelatin, making for finding vegan candy easier. Bulk bins mostly have ingredient lists on them. This store is also perfect for finding goodies for upcoming Halloween (or buying bulk peanut chews to eat all by yrself - the option I picked.)
I tried not to stay in here for very long. But anyway, if you can, stop by Economy Candy and look around in awe. Then buy some cute stickers to slap on some goodies and veganize yr trick or treaters a la Abby Bean.
(Economy Candy is at 108 Rivington St.)
That concludes the Lower East Side posts. Phew!

19 comments:

  1. Tiengarden is a pretty name for a restaurant. The food looks decent. Thanks for the LES tour. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty but I'm not sure how to get my tongue around it.

      Delete
  2. yay for Kosher candy. The white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips I order are both Kosher.
    Actually looks like a healthified dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterscotch chips?? I don't know if I've seen those. Are they the same brand as the white chocolate?

      Delete
    2. Not the same brand. You can find them on Food Fight and Pangea.

      Delete
  3. I think we should meet up in NYC one day, what do you think? I'm only right next to Philly after all, I can take the train! Wouldn't know where to start, though...all the neighborhoods look so fun!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sounds good. I should probably also see Philly someday.

      Delete
  4. Wow, the Tiengarden food and menu look delicious. I don't know what I would choose from there, everything sounds so good! That candy store sounds great!! I sometimes go to a kosher market in my childhood neighborhood to grab some hard to find vegan items (white chocolate chips for example!). It's a great trick for finding vegan food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! What town is that kosher market in?

      Delete
  5. Great tour of the lower East side...I've been reading along, but am so behind on commenting. Your making me want to go to a big city!!

    The Tiengarden dish looks truly yummy. And, candy stores are always fun, and I don't even like candy very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're always just a lot of fun to look around in. Now I need to go brush my teeth.

      Delete
  6. I had such an amazing time in the LES... oddly enough we didn't really leave the area (it's got so much stuff!) Great tour - it was nice to relive a few memories of the area. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! The area is super dense with stuff to do.

      Delete
  7. Love the look of that Buddhist restaurant, and the candy place. Nice balance of healthy food and insane sugar kick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I strive for balance. And chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Oh PS I can't figure out anymore how to comment on yr posts! Am I being daft?

      Delete
  8. I want to mention again that I absolutely love your mofo theme! I pretty much detest candy, but I love wandering through nifty candy stores, which I suppose doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's the colorful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I detested candy! I'm a sucker (ha) for chewy sour straws and licorice. It's soo bad for my teeth!

      Delete
  9. My faves from Economy candy: chick-o-sticks, peanut chews, and the kosher/vegan m&m's in the back!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.