Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC: Day 2, Manhattan

No, I won't be wrapping up all of the vegan things to do/see/eat in Manhattan in one post today.
Rather, I'd like to counterbalance the healthy vibe I gave off with yesterday's FarMar post with the quintessential New York cocktail, the Manhattan.
According to Wikipedia, the Manhattan was first concocted in the Manhattan Club in the 1870s. Apparently, each of the five boroughs that comprise New York City has its own cocktail (I just had to count - "Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten - from the Battery to the top of Manhattan") and while I represent Queens and live out in Brooklyn (whattup LL), the Manhattan drink is the best known. A "Brooklyn" is pretty similar, the "Bronx" and "Queens" sound too sweet for me, and, well, we don't talk about Staten Island...


So, I don't have fancy glasses or anything but it all tastes the same. A Manhattan is simply rye whiskey (Canadian whiskey these days), sweet vermouth, and agnostura bitters. It is also typically garnished with a maraschino cherry but I don't deal with those things. To be honest, I didn't like the drink all that much. Sugary drinks make me shudder and sweet vermouth is indeed sweet enough even without the cherry.
The best part of the drinking of this Manhattan was the wobbly climb up a steep ladder to my roof, enjoying the cool fall happy hour solo, being warmed by the drink, and the even more wobbly (and slightly tipsy) climb back down.


Manhattan, from Brooklyn, I cheers in yr general direction.
The rest of the whiskey will go towards whiskey sodas. The vermouth will probably sit on the kitchen counter forever. Oh! And! Be vigilant, all ye vegan lushes - apparently Quady Winery makes the ONLY vegan vermouth. Barnivore is important!

29 comments:

  1. Yay for Quady winery! They make my favorite wine! It is super sweet but I'm a bit of a pansy so I like the sweet drinks :)

    I had no idea that each borough had it's own drink! What a bad NYer I am. Very cool photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently learned it. I wonder if Nassau and Suffolk have their own drinks too!

      Delete
    2. There's always the Long Island Iced Tea I guess?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. True! I forgot. Probably a good thing, too.

      Delete
  2. I don't see no Manhattan. You sure that's the correct "general direction"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved very, very far out. And my apartment is not very many stories. manhattan is still there.

      Delete
  3. Cheers! I only have spiced rum, so allow me raise a shot in your general direction. ;) Is now a good time to tell you that I have a couple of vintage LL Cool J on my ipod? It does *cough, cough* include "Doin' it". Dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'll take one spiced rum and raise you a...well. That's a terrible game to start.
      I LOVE LL! Ha, it is pretty dirty but ya gotta represent!

      Delete
  4. cheers! Can't say as I've ever had a Manhattan. I like Gin and tonic though I don't like what's in tonic. Except fit that new stuff that I can't remember the name of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first manhattan, not sure I did it quite properly, but it'll do. Gin and tonic is a great drink but I give up gin after Labor day :)

      Delete
    2. What IS in tonic? I've always wondered the difference between seltzer, tonic, and club.

      Delete
    3. a lot of high fructose corn syrup. there's a brand called Q that uses agave syrup if that appeals to you. It doesn't taste as sweet and has fewer calories.

      Delete
  5. I am shielding my eyes, I used live the lush life, but well that's another story for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would one day like to speak these same words. Good on ya!

      Delete
  6. Yum. The Manhattan was my drink for a few years. I don't do much whiskey these days but have fond memories of sipping these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love most whiskey drinks. Hot toddies are at the top of the list lately, though :)

      Delete
  7. Ten years ago, the Four Seasons served me a Manhattan and insisted it was a cosmopolitan. They also told me they couldn't make anything vegan because a true vegan wouldn't eat out of a non-vegan kitchen. A few years later they added a vegan entree to their menu (alas, no appetizer or dessert), but then it quietly disappeared.

    I hold a grudge for all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew, chumps. Keep holding that grudge. I'll hold one for you now too.

      Delete
  8. Hooray for boozy manhattans (and getting boozy *in* Manhattan 'cause that can always be fun too)! I mad the WORST manhattan the other week, but once I invest in new vermouth, I'm going to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'm going to keep practicing. ;)

      Delete
  9. You know, I loathe sweet drinks too (gimme a beer any day) but Mike once made a Manhattan that was totally enjoyable. Could've been the bourbon instead of a rye (untraditional, perhaps, but delish). I also think he went easy on the vermouth because I don't remember it to be very sweet. And sometimes solo rooftop happy hours are the best...not that I've had one of those myself, but I can imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the word loathe. Loooaaaathe. Anyway, methinks mike can just work magic with any food or drink. His posts seem to say as much.

      Delete
  10. Why did I never think to toast Manhattan with a Manhattan when I live in Bklyn? I fail, clearly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can direct ourselves towards each other in Brooklyn on respective rooftops and toast each other!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.