Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, October 19, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 19: The LES, part 2

This post has been a long time in the works, and sorry for missing yesterday. I mean, I know YOU don't care but my completist self hates it. Whatever, I had to have an episode yesterday so there. ONWARD!
When we last left off in the Lower East Side, I showed you vegan shoes, a store cat, and two vegan baked goods from Babycakes. There is so much more for the vegan taking in that area! Too much! I think I'll extend the LES into one more post for another night.
First, places I didn't really go into: Teany. I've heard mixed reviews. Sometimes it's vegan and they don't make it clear and sometimes it's vegetarian and it isn't made clear? This place sounds good to have around, but it looks a little too cute for me.


Cakeshop is actually a music venue! I've seen some friends' bands play here a few times. It is a cool space, but I've also included it here because they DO actually sell (all) vegan baked goods and coffee and stuff upstairs. Downstairs is the bar and music space. I did not enter this time, as I was on a vegan mission. (152 Ludlow Street)

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is an all-vegan makeup company with a storefront at 174 Ludlow Street. I didn't go in because I don't wear makeup, but if I did, this would be it. Extra points for the company name.
 Eine kleine nacht sky:

Walking around, random shots:

                                                           "No Vomit!" "No Pissing!"
This is not vegan in any way, haha, but I am a really big history nerd and I love this museum. If you ever find yrself in the hood looking for vegan shoes and vegan baked goods, do try to stop at the NYC Tenement museum. So much incredible history in this tiny little tenement.
And finally, probably my favorite stop on the LES, Bluestockings. Bluestockings is a radical bookstore with a special collection of political science, women's studies, gender studies, philosophy, queer theory, environmental studies and the like.

They also have a small cookbook section, which is almost entirely vegan or raw cookbooks! I've missed signings by both Jae Steele and Hannah Kaminsky here. There are other events almost every night.
Fittingly, the "Cafe" part of the sign means that after purchasing yr independent press published, fair trade gender studies book, you can sit at one of the small tables by the window and eat a vegan cookie and sip a coffee with non-milk! They did also used to have a dog at the store but I haven't seen him in a while. Anyway, I love this shop. Anytime I'm in here I run into someone cool I know. Stop by 172 Allen Street and maybe run into me!
That's all for today! I wish I could show you the path I traced walking this day (okay it took me two days to hit everything) because it was so much circling around and back and forth but seriously, only about 10 blocks around. Tomorrow, more food and only a little bit more walking of the Lower East Side.

15 comments:

  1. How fun!! Isn't Teany the place that is owned by Moby? I've heard pretty lackluster reviews before too. I really need to check out Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics! I also give bonus points for the name and I'm in need of some new makeup. Such a pretty pic of the night sky :) Love it when the sky is pink :) The book store sounds so cute and fun!! Count me in for books, cookies and coffee. Sounds like a perfect day to me actually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep; at least he used to own it - I'm not sure if he still does. I like moby! He recently described himself as looking "old and homeless," haha in this article my mom sent me: (if you're interested)
      http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/can-vegans-and-carnivores-get-along-moby-thinks-so/

      Delete
  2. So cool! It's like I went on vacation through your post. Live music and vegan baked goods - sign me up! I'll have to check out the make up website. I don't wear much, but it's like painting so I like to look and play with it all!

    Bluestockings sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time off? Who needs time off! Just read blogs! I do the same...
      haha I get out of control with art supplies, so it's probably best I stay away from makeup.
      Bluestockings is great; I'm going to my friends' feminist zine reading tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, my attitude to mofo is kinda lax this year, I'm all "meh, just need to post 20 times, it's all good". Cute restaurants don't do it for you? When I was in Victoria, there was a vegan cupcake place (sadly closed now) that was almost too cute for me. And I can handle a lot of cute. It was worth it for the vegan cupcakes though. :) Also live music + vegan food? Why aren't I just living in NY? Maybe Toronto will have awesome places like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... but 31 is so much more....hmm, something. Eh, maybe cute wasn't the word so much as..hip? I think it was the pink awning that pissed me off, haha. But no, I'm not generally a fan of cute unless it's an animal.
      I expect a full tour of vegan Toronto when you move!

      Delete
    2. I'm with Allysia- 23 posts totally trumps 31; it makes a huge difference!

      What you said about Teany is right, but the taste is just as hit or miss as the veg explanation. I don't think Moby owns it anymore; I used to like it much more.

      I will note that Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics makes some wild makeup for people less faint of heart, but their tinted moisturizer is the bomb.

      And CAKESHOP is the awesome place to go when some people in the group are drinkers and some are sweets hounds (ahem).

      This is so fun!

      Delete
  4. I would definitely like to check some of these places out. I like cute food venues, but I could understand maybe not being in the mood for one. I don't wear much makeup, but I love shopping for it, and it's always nice to see another vegan cosmetic company. I would be down for the tenement museum (great idea!) and I love bookstore cafes. (I also like library cafes, but those are harder to come by.) So much stuff here; great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen a library cafe but that sounds awesome. FREE books and snacks?? Oh yes.

      Delete
  5. NYC looks like such a great place for vegans to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is also a vegan candy company called obsessive compulsive. Since you don't wear makeup, maybe you can wear some snickers on your face.
    Okay just so you know I guffawed during this post. Great post...especially about the vomit part.
    I totally identify with the completist self. I care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the mention of vomit and piss on a food blog is my proudest moment. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I love the tours you're taking us on. There's no way I would ever know these places existed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the LES Tenement Museum! It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.