Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 13: Lifethyme

So, some of you know that I used to work at Peanut Butter & Company in Greenwich Village. There were a very few upshots from working there: one being meeting my former girlfriend/now best friend and another being her introducing me to Lifethyme.
Lifethyme is probably my favorite and most visited health food store in the city. Why? Let me count the ways:

It's in the heart of beautiful Greenwich Village. This is the Jefferson Market building, a former library. Check this photo!


Lifethyme has a kickin salad bar with tons of raw options:
Raw marinated onions, raw mushrooms, zucchini pasta, sprouted lentils, cucumber salad. The salad bar is no more expensive than other salad bars around the city but as a money saving tip, I will mention that most salad bars (including this) are half-price after 7 pm.
 
           tofu salad, spaghetti, grilled zucchini, curried chickpeas, too much to remember...

                                    Prepared foods deli case! Tons of raw and vegan options.

A juice bar! They also have demonstrations with samples from the bar and specific companies randomly, which is nice.
Fruits and nuts in many a variation:


Plus kale chips, granola, cookies, raw truffles, sandwiches, raw falafel, raw sushi rolls, etc. It's overwhelming. I narrowed it down to this meal yesterday:

Raw zucchini noodles in marinara over red leaf lettuce with grilled tomatoey tofu. The noodles were fantastic. Most of their raw creations are. For whatever reason, the tofu was kind of bland. BYOPepper + Salt.
Lifethyme does have seating upstairs if you so desire. I took my lunch to nearby Washington Square Park:

It's a nice little oasis, as long as the NYU kids aren't out in full force. Most of the time you can sit and chill and get some free entertainment - be it people watching, a chess game, a cello player, someone offering you weed, someone screaming obscenities, or, on the particular day I was there - a person practicing bagpipes!

Across from the park are some beautiful rowhouses (now owned by NYU), including one lived in by Henry James as he wrote Washington Square.
If you are inclined toward peanut butter, it's just on the south side of the park. More reccomendations for that area are the Dosa Cart, Vegetarian Paradise 2, and Sacred Chow.

25 comments:

  1. I love this are but somehow I've missed Lifethyme all this time! I must get there, it looks amazing! Thanks for the tour, you're making a lot of people jealous now :) Have you ever been to Red Bamboo? That's where I end up whenever I'm in that neighborhood. Great pics, those houses are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been to Red Bamboo... I've heard it's a lot like VP2.
      Oh, I know, haha I WISH I could live in a place like tat.

      Delete
  2. what a great review! i love lifethyme, but i've never had their hot bar...going to have to remedy that! and i had no idea you used to work at pbco!!!! wow i bet that was awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha PBco was an adventure. Definitely try some of their bar stuff - do you ever try the deli case stuff?

      Delete
  3. Lifethyme sounds like a wonderful market. I love places like that! Plus, a tasty lunch in a nice park can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love little stores like that too. Luckily it was a nice enough day to enjoy the park.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that Lifethyme has never made my list of places to visit. Well, after this post, that has got to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only vegans would put a place like this on their to-visit list ;)

      Delete
  5. You have an unlimited number of options in the City, don't you. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just WISH we had a place like this right by us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely nice but I try not to make it a habit of going too often.

      Delete
  7. All the salad bar options sound interesting and delicious...not just your average shredded carrots and cherry tomatoes etc. I'm really enjoying this tour of NYC...it's sort of like taking a little trip without leaving home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! And it's not really more expensive than other salad bars, which I appreciate.

      Delete
  8. I've said it before, I'll say it again - really enjoying the vegan's eye view of New York.

    That place looks sweet. You had me at 'raw truffles'...actually, you had me at 'kicking salad bar'. Then once more for good luck at 'raw truffles'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I had to really keep myself from buying the truffles...

      Delete
  9. Ohhhhh! How is it that I didn't read this post *before* I got back from spending my last day in New York/the US (FOR THIS TRIP JUST FOR THIS TRIP RBEATHE HANNAH BREATHE) visiting Garden of Eden, Health Nuts, and Whole Foods?! I want to run back outside right now to go here, but I've already spent so much of the monies on raw snacks and chocolate...

    P.S. I wish I knew what you looked like, so I could've spent these past few days scanning the streets for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably for the best. I'm overwhelmed enough by this one place and I've never even heard of Health Nuts....

      Delete
    2. You mean you don't have horn-rimmed glasses and perpetually wear a fruit hat?

      Delete
  10. So jealous of this place! What a cool place. I consider people watching fantastic entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of people watching is the free part :)

      Delete
  11. Holy crap is that a nice salad bar. A few health food stores in the city have things like fresh baking or the odd sandwich/soup, but nothing like that. And that park sounds like the one we have downtown...minus the bagpipes, cello (but replaced with bad busking), and chess. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite ff posts! LifeThyme also has the most sparkling produce I've ever seen. Also, Dr. Cow cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.