Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 10: Souen

It's funny; I was hoping this MoFo theme would get me to restaurants that I've been putting off visiting forever and it sort of hasn't, so far. I'm sort of dining out more often than usual (okay, so I picked up a bagel once) but not doing the full (stressful) restaurant experience.
For that, I guess, I need more than MoFo - I need my friends!
Spontaneously (well, she g-chatted me a couple hours previously) for lunch the other day, I met up at Souen with one of my very best friends who I don't see often enough. I rushed over on my break for some conversation, comfort, and soup.
Although there are three Souen locations (including one a block from my job), they each seem to have specialties and the location at 6th street between 1st and 2nd ave has all the noodles! We were both coming off weird illnesses, so this was it.


(This is what it looks like outside. Don't be confused. I walked past it three times before going in.)
Also a big draw:
It's pretty damn cheap for a lunch meal, where you pick from a noodle, a broth base, and a side.
I got ramen noodles in a miso vegetable broth (with nappa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, carrot, kombu, mung sprouts and greens) and a side of sauteed garlicky kale.



This was a HUGE bowl, if you can't tell, and way more than I could finish before running back to work. If you visit New York, dining out can definitely get expensive. I totally recommend checking out lunch specials and saving what you can't finish. For 10 bucks, I basically got two meals and a really enjoyable time with my friend, talking about veganism, feminism, queer theory, astral projection, cats, OCD, and fairy tales (What do they say? As long as you don't discuss religion, politics, sex, or money?)
The place was clean and calm inside and the server was totally sweet. It wasn't busy at 3, either. If only all dining out experiences could be as pleasant. Maybe soon I will compare this place to the location closer to work?

Souen
326 E. 6th St
NY, NY
L to 1st Ave, 6 to Astor Place, N/R to 8th St.

23 comments:

  1. OMG that bowl seriously looks amazing! The kale too! And all for $10? That's amazing. Add in some quality time with your best friend and you have a pretty perfect lunch break. So glad that you were able to get out and enjoy a nice lunch in a restaurant. You've been rocking your theme, I'm loving your posts and now Souen is on my list of places to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what the greens on top were. They tasted like watercress, which was unexpected but it worked!

      Delete
    2. I love this Souen! The waitress I had that day was so friendly. She gave me some scones (even though they were day-old and honestly, not too tasty) :) Think those greens are young spinach.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic place! It sounds like a great deal, too - whenever I can get two meals for the price of one, score! Meals with friends make everything taste better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true about the meal tasting better. I would probably not even have noticed if it were bad, but I did notice that it was really good.

      Delete
  3. Noodles is virtually all I can handle when weird illness strikes - been a lot of ramen around here lately. But your ramen is superior! Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure yr ramen is tasty too - I'm just glad I didn't have to make it myself.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I have been putting off going there too! It looks super earthy and nourishing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was delicious but I felt totally nourished. Try it next time.

      Delete
  5. I love astral projection and soup. I've been hovering over those noodles,(do you see me?) looking for a bagel but I don't see any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish someone would astrally project some of that soup into my mouth right now. Don't hover too close or I might slurp you up too.

      Delete
  6. This is just great. I've never heard of half these places--you're opening up my world. It's so chilly today that I would love some of that soup right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could show you some new spots :)

      Delete
  7. I'm adding this place to my NY wishlist! Between the food and conversation, I'm jealous I wasn't there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conversation must be equal to or better than the meal. Scientific law.

      Delete
  8. I've only ever been to the SoHo Souen (I was feeling particularly health-oriented that day) and I was disappointed by the vast amounts of purple seaweed in my meal (do not like!). A friend tells me that the USQ location is the best, so now I'm going to have to do my own Souen tour too. Can a blogger get a kickback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise seaweed is always scary. What did you order? Tour Souen 2012 or Bust!

      Delete
  9. Souen looks great! I definitely think I've walked past it before--would have never guessed it held such rockin' lunch goodness. Mmm noodles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually works like that, no? The hidden places are always the best.

      Delete
  10. I've always wanted to go to Souen. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! It always makes me happy to see kabocha on the menu.

      Delete
  11. So is that your friend next to the front door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, no. The funny thing is, I took this picture when I was leaving and was basically following the guy the whole way back to work. He probably thinks I'm stalking him now. Poor guy just came out of the apartment and - boom - papparazzi.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.