Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Week Revealed! Also MoFo Theme Revealed!

Hi guys. Still kind of nomadic this past week. But here's what I've got for you:
Well, so, one day G and I attempted to make some sort of eggplant parmesan? I think? I had like nine breakdowns during the making, so my memory is pretty shot on this. This is way less pretty than Jes's. This is just broiled eggplant with some rice milk/cornstarch/panko breading. We melted VeganRella on top of it, steamed some broccoli and boiled some pasta. Newman's Own sauce. I believe both of these plates are G's - I went heavy on the eggplant, less so on the pasta.


Breakfasts have been homemade granola bars or delicious, delicious honeycrisp apples.


Dinners have been sporadic, but mostly more miso:


This one with shiitake mushrooms, spinach, rice noodles, carrot, sesame seeds, miso, anise seeds.
Lunches are the most varied. Whole Foods is getting a lot of business from me recently.

 Steamed kale, roasted butternut squash, tomatoes, and lentils in Braggs. This was freakin awesome.

One of those salads in a shaker - quinoa, bell pepper, black beans, kidney beans, and corn with an avocado vinaigrette. Not great.

 
Steamed kale,roasted eggplant, tofu, chickpeas, and cucumber salad. This was random and flavorless.
Also a treat:

Yeah! These chocolate covered mulberries were great. Like grown-up raisinettes.
So, as I'm sure you all know, MoFo is upon us. I will probably not post again until then so I'll tell you now about what I HOPE to blog about in October (I say "hope" because these last two weeks have shown that I often don't come home, or if I do, it's to late too cook PLUS I am still feeling sort of pushed out of the kitchen with these other people in the apartment, so here's to PLANS)
For this year's theme, I will be showing you what New York City has to offer vegans. We are not the vegan mecca of Portland but we are no slumps!
Either I'll be moving out of NY at some point and regret not taking in what the city has to offer, or I'll just enjoy my month in the gorgeous NY autumn. Keeping busy is part of my plan to stay happy, as is getting out of the apartment more often. October may be more like a photo diary except for certain posts because we know how hard it is to keep up with everyone during MoFo. I'd like to stop yakkin so much and read everything (ok, as much as I can) of what YOU guys have to say.
There seems to be an interest in my doings around New York (for whatever reason - I'm usually pretty boring) so I'll be showing you meals from veg restaurants around the city, tours of my favorite local health food stores and farmers' markets, hopefully cooking food of some of the many nationalities that the city is home to, and eating or making typically New York food - the bagels, the pizza, gefilte fish (okay, maybe not gefilte), etc.
Yeah? Any requests? Sometimes I feel like you all know New York better than I do because as a native, I stick to my very limited routine.
Okay! See you next month!

21 comments:

  1. I think NYC has better vegan food than Portland. Looking forward to mofo even if I'm not participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have never been to Portland but I hear they have bee pollen in gumball machines. But you do know NYC better than I do, so I'll trust you.

      Delete
  2. You know why some of your take-away from Whole Foods hasn't been great? Because your stuff is WAY better!

    Ok, so I've been feasting on that same brand, but the choco-covered gojis. So good, right?

    Love your MoFo theme and I recommend everything I haven't gone all Mean Bean on my blog.

    PS Jenny, no matter what anyone tells you about Portland/vegan food, NYC wins hands down.

    PPS foodfeud- if you are leaving the area we MUST meet first. Unless you move somewhere with good grub & then I'll meet you there ;-)

    To MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, that's what I'm afraid of - what if I hate everything NYC has to offer?? I'm glad you responded because you are my guru on this.
      We will probably meet sometime anyway, preferably on line at the Cinnamon Snail or after I've had a couple at Pine Box!

      Delete
  3. Chocolate mulberries, eh? Never even had un-chocolate mulberries before. And I love your MoFo theme! I'll be living a hop and a skip from NY soon(ish), so it'll be super useful too! Good luck with that MoFo thang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hie thee here soonish! Are you not mofoing?

      Delete
  4. New York is one of the best for vegan eats! I remember the first time I visited as a vegan--mind blown. The fact that I could go to a bagel shop and there were multiple kinds of vegan cream cheese available (sun dried tomato = win) AND that it was just around the corner from where I was staying was just incredible! Love the MoFo theme :)

    As for eggplant parm...let's not even talk about my attempts over the years. This past one was the best I'd ever made. Trial and error always wins, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to the sun dried tomato cream cheese. Yes.
      Someday I will make a parmesan look appetizing...maybe.

      Delete
  5. what a great theme! love that idea!! be sure to hit up Angelica Kitchen -- it's my absolute FAAAAAVORITE spot ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that place too :) I'm hoping to try some new spots...maybe a couple classics, though.

      Delete
  6. Why aren't you coming home? Where are you going? Do not fall into anymore pot holes whatever you do. I miss G.

    (Can you tell I'm more into the soap opera of your life than your grub?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Toronto and think we have it pretty good but it is nothing comapred to NYC! Can't wait to learn all your tips for eating vegan in the Big Apple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eating vegan New York sounds like a good theme to me. I tend to think New York would have as much (or more) good vegan food than Portland, but I can't speak with authority on either city. Just a feeling I have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been curious about trying eggplant. I didn't have it during my non-vegan days, so I might try your method of preparation for eggplant parm. :) I've had WF lunch weeks before, and it looks like what they offered was good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in awe of vegan New York. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what I'm missing by not living there, but NYC is too intense for me. (Even Seattle is too big.) Have fun exploring the vegan options that the rest of us can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Mofo plan! I love eating my way through NYC, so I can't wait to see your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, NY is the best. Sure, other cities have great food but NY seems so "concentrated". It is condensed, easy to get around, not super spread out, and no woo woo bs too much, anyhow. Adore it...............don't think we could live there easily because of the cost & a myriad of other reasons, okay, the saturation of people. Oh, and I would be like 400 pounds from a babycakes addiction and broke from a pure food & wine addiction (and they are pretty OVER priced!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. That miso soup looks awesome!

    Your vegan journey through NYC will be so great to read! I am crazy about that city...totally lives up to the hype. : ) I'll be happy to live vicariously through you during October. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to New York only once, but loved it a truckload. This is going to be like some National Geographic of vegan eats for me - looking at all these awesome places and wishing I was there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your MoFo theme! I can't wait to see what you post! You know I'm a sucker for good NY bagels so hopefully those will make some appearances this month :)

    Eggplant parm, yum! Sounds so great! The homemade granola bars sound so delicious and look lovely and your miso soup always looks great! Great looking salads as always :)

    Happy MoFoing!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.