Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, September 17, 2012

Simple Stuff

Well, I made it. Newly entombed in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
A little about the move: I'm living with one of my old roommates, Chris, and two other people. It was originally going to be a sublet situation, but a permanent room opened up and I took it. The situation is not ideal and I don't know how long I'll stay here. When I move (sigh, again) I'll probably find a two bedroom place with someone else because even though I know Chris, I'm kind of weird around strangers and certainly don't really feel at home unless a place really is my home - one I picked, not one I moved into because it was an easy out.
The place is cute, though, the kitchen is big, and Haxan is happily exploring (though only when Chris' cat, Eli is in his room - I had Haxan back when Chris and I lived together but she and Eli never got along. There have already been a couple hissy fits. Hopefully that calms down soon.)

                                                                         (kitchen)
                                            (Haxan trotting around like she owns the place)
Since this is sort of temporary, some of my belongings (including some kitchen stuff) are at my parents house and I'm trying to find my bearings in a new kitchen, and stay out of the way of other people, ha. When you live with someone you know and like, it's okay when they come home and find you mixing up an "aromatic" curry with cabbage and they're more willing to forgive you making a mess or using a blender at 7 in the morning. Am I just being too paranoid? How the hell do people live with roommates? ANYWAY, hence, my meals have been simple and quick and probably will be until I get a little more comfortable.
This picture is too sad / hilarious not to post: my first dinner in the new place:

           Zucchini sticks, hummus, FYH mozz cheese, beer. Ha. It could have been worse.
Today was better. Breakfast:

Dried cranberries and walnuts. This was a sampling, not all that I had. Green tea also.
Ran some errands, walked around the neighboring hoods, got a couple groceries, etc. And lunch:

Roasted red pepper hummus, carrot sticks, also some unpictured cherry tomatoes.
Snack of a huge Joanna Gold apple:

And dinner:

miso soup, minus a couple usual ingredients - despite all my planning, I left a lot of groceries at the old apartment (G is still there), including a bunch of already prepared food, but whatever. I guess I can pick that up at some time. No seaweed or mushrooms in this bowl, but still tasty and filling: spinach, rice noodles, carrot, tofu, spices.
I guess this kind of looks pathetic, but look - I actually used flatware for my dinner tonight - that's already an obvious improvement from vegan cheese out of the package and zucchini on the hummus lid. I am kind of looking forward to this cutting back on my food intake - I had a tendency to late-night snack just because G was, and a tendency to sit around the house and pick at food. Hopefully now, I'll get outside more often and walk around and not just sit on the couch and eat. It's hard to explain. Let's all keep our happy faces on.
How are you all with roommates?? Or, have been in the past? Why do I feel like I'm regressing?

33 comments:

  1. You made it! I'm sorry your situation is less than ideal but it'll do for now. Haxan will hopefully not get into too many brawls ha. I know exactly what you mean about roommates. I've had roommates before and while I was tight with them it's always a weird situation. Everyone has habits and quirks and preferences and it's so hard to find people that line up perfectly with you. So I can understand your uneasiness about the situation, especially when you had a routine for a long time. You'll settle in, it just takes time!

    Haha, I like your I just moved meals. Pretty close to my every day meals ;) The soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I had the impression you were moving really far away — like to a different part of the country. The place looks good, which is always helpful. And the kitchen is huge — so many cupboards! There should be plenty of space in there for all your stuff. I think living with several people is hard, but you don't have to be best friends with everyone — just don't insult or hit each other and it should eventually be OK. :) Once you know people's routines better the blender and sauerkraut can come out in force.

      Delete
    2. Oh, no. Not yet. Emotionally, maybe. I am LOVING the cupboard and counterspace. Thanks for the tips.. I will try not to hit anyone!

      Delete
  3. Maud! Glad to see you still kicking about on here :)

    I'm right there with you on the roommate situation.
    I used to take my blender into my bedroom, plug it in, and blend up my smoothies under my blanket to block out the noise as much as I could. Crazy? maybe, but nobody heard a thing!
    It is a little weird to feel uncomfortable like that. But I always viewed it as a learning experience. You know, I learned I never wanted roommates again. And that blending smoothies under a blanket can sometimes make a mess.

    But anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, I hope things get better for you soon and that you find a place where you can feel comfortable. And eat more meals on real dinnerware instead of lids :D

    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see YOU! Ha, I like yr way of dealing with blender noise... that sounds like something I would do. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  4. Good luck on your new situation! I barely remember all of that part of my life now!! But yes, is strange not to have your own space 100 percent or be with people that are like your family. But all part of the way I guess.......it does look nice anyhow. Like the wood floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely remember what it was like, and it was only two years ago! I think the three other people is a bigger part of it, but it'll settle I think.

      Delete
  5. That is an AWESOME kitchen. And I've lived with people I barely knew as well - are all 3 of them guys? There was one point where there were 5 of us living together and I was the only girl. I did a lot of dishes that year, ha ha. But yeah, it can be tough, I spent a lot of time in my room, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Awesome move-in supper, ha ha! :)

    Right now I'm living with Mike and his brother (after declaring some time ago that I would never again have roommates besides someone I'm dating), and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it. It's hard to sacrifice personal space. But I don't want to be the moody roommate who quietly harbors resentment like I used to, so we'll see.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha they ARE all guys and I've already done my fair share of other people's dishes. Tuna fish dishes. Blech.

      Delete
  6. I have had my share of ups and downs with roommates. It's tricky if you don't all eat the same type of food, but if you don't get in each others way too much in the kitchen it can work out. Funny you mentioned the blender, I lived in a triplex and our downstairs neighbor said he could hear the blender all the way down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone needs to make a silencer for blenders!

      Delete
  7. Oh, man, it's true that it would be difficult for me to live with roommates now unless they were my very best friends or sisters. I mean, I have 5 roommates :) - but I see what you're saying. When I lived one year in a dorm, I cooked in the kitchen on our floor, which was a couple of doors down from me. My roommate who was very silly and goodnatured would start hollering as soon as she walked into the building because she swore she could smell my hummus and couscous, etc. (It was the hummus mix with water so it WAS aromatic.) I hope you start feeling at home because that's a really nice kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that's part of why I could never have kids! They get all in yr space and stuff... I sometimes wonder what would happen if I lived with my sister. That would probably be a lot of fun, actually.

      Delete
  8. I've shared with people before a good few times - first time, I met two of my best mates. Second time, I couldn't wait to leave and was singing and dancing the day I moved out. Hope your situation is the former, not the latter.

    And, as far as I can tell, if you've got hummus and beer that means you're still eating pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, true. Thank goodness for hummus.

      Delete
  9. I'm assuming your rent must be dirt cheap and you're saving up for a down payment on your own place in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is VERY cheap for Brooklyn but I doubt I'll ever make enough to afford my own place. I'm just saving money to buy enough alcohol to forget that I live with roommates.

      Delete
  10. I've never had a roommate & like you, I'd have a hard time with it. Still, this situation beats moving back in with your parents, which I've done in the past.

    I think you're doing fantastic with your food. If it were me, I'd probably be ordering a pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't believe there are people who have never had roommates! You are so lucky!

      Delete
  11. Moving is so much fun!!...No it's not. I'm glad you made it, and I hope it's comfortable for you and Haxan for the time being. I imagine rent is ridiculous, so roommates are a necessary part of life! Actually, I know it to be true. My cousin who lives in Manhattan has two roommates, and he works in finance.

    Anyway, the meals look spectacular! I love hummus, and it should be eaten at most meals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the rent in Denver? Looking for a roommate? ;)

      Delete
  12. That certainly is some big kitchen. Just wait until your new roommates get a glimpse of your yummy salads; they'll be hanging around for scraps. I am not a roommate girl (pets get a pass), so I really admire your initiative. Let Haxan be your happy example. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are salad people exactly... but thank you, you are right about Haxan. She's a much stronger woman than I am.

      Delete
  13. Yay for Bushwick! I really like that part of town--and, holy heck, seriously girl, you have nothing to worry about with a giant kitchen like that. It's kicks my house kitchen in the ass!

    I don't miss living with roommates, but when I did, cooking & kitchen issues were never a problem (probably because all of them really liked food too). I've always found that a little communication never hurts--ask what their sleeping schedules are, if they have any tics or sensitivities to food smells. More than likely you'll find that everyone loves a roommate who cooks & that they're open and thrilled about you. Best of luck & keep mowwing down on that Sabra hummus (roasted red pepper is my fave too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. man, now I am curious to see other people's kitchens! I thought everyone outside of New York had a huge one! But yeah, Bushwick is pretty interesting.
      Thanks for the tips... I will certainly try to put out a plate of cookies for them.

      Delete
  14. i'm so glad you're all settled in! i'd say a cold beer is a great way to christen your place:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roommate situations can be difficult but they can also be good material, and sometimes roommates can be ersatz family when you're in a time of need. I don't know much about Bushwick except that it was mentioned in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but that book was about Brooklyn 100 years ago.

    I know you're still getting settled, but that miso soup looks really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll appreciate this, maybe, being a librarian - but A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was actually written in Queens (okay, just on the border) not far from where I grew up! There's a plaque outside the house.

      Delete
  16. We are looking to find a bigger place and move.. i am dreading the kitchen packup and unpackup and missing eating fresh home made meals:).
    your kitchen looks nice and big. hope things settle down for you. i havent had any room mates except hubbs since the last 8 years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchens are the worst! It's frustrating to not know where everything is when you need it.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.