Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

"Off-brand"

When I mentioned to Shen that I'd had almost the same dinner as her on this day, (okay, now that I look at the two photos, they look kinda different) she asked why I didn't post it, if it strayed too far from the "Food Feud brand." I use the blog less as a food diary these days, though I used to, mostly because I eat so many repeats and it gets tedious. Because of that, though, I end up snapping occasional photos that never make it to the blog. I might intend to include them and just get distracted with something else or don't find them important enough to warrant their own post. I usually try to eat pretty healthily but nobody's perfect. Anyway, here's a kind of catchall post of some stuff I've eaten or made recently that could kind of be considered "off-brand" from usual FF posts...


This is the dinner in question. It was pretty pathetic, maybe that's why I didn't show it off. Two slices of GF brown rice bread with slices off the Daiya cheddar wedge (you guys keep raving, I couldn't not try it!), topped with onion, heirloom Farmer's market tomato, and cracked black pepper. The lack of green depressed me, so I ate some random spinach on top of it all. Actually, the whole dinner was rather disappointing: The cheese didn't melt cuz I was too hungry to wait, the bread fell apart in the toaster, blah blah. This was my first time trying Daiya, though! It's not bad.
These are some cinnamon rolls I made G the other day.


I am nowhere near as on top of things or motivated as Allysia and her brunches, so this was more like a late afternoon snack. I used the Happy Herbivore recipe, mainly because they don't call for a rising time. G was happy with them but I refused to eat that much sugar. He later went into a total sugar coma. The other five rolls are in the garbage.


Got drunk one night and tore into a box of these. Tried them the next day and didn't like them much at all.
This meal is "off-brand" only because I don't eat out all that often, though that is changing. Basically I just want to show off this tasty sandwich:


Greg is in San Francsico right now so we went out to lunch before he left at one of his usual lunch haunts, Bite (this is a big difference from the send-off I got when I went to NC, GREG, jerk.) We both got the half sandwich/side salad combo. For a side salad, it was pretty great - and big. The half sandwich is a Middle Eastern Vegan, with hummus, roasted eggplant, roasted red pepper tapenade, field greens, and plum tomatoes. You can have it spicy or not; I obvs went with spicy all the way. G is really good at finding radom restaurants and finding delicious vegan food on a not-really vegan menu.
He is also really good at eating cake:


This is a slice of vegan red velvet cake from a really random green grocer near the apartment. I don't even know what the place is called. We thought it was Clementine, which is a newly opened vegan bakery in the hood (that I also haven't been to), but it's not. Anyway, technically not off-brand for me, since he didn't even save me any, but it is for the blog. I probably wouldn't have tried a piece anyway because I'm zero fun.
Okay that's all until next time I get really curious about what food normal people eat tastes like. (Which will probably be sooner, rather than later.)

22 comments:

  1. Oh sure, even 'off brand' FF posts have to beat mine.

    Well, let me just say: your Daiya & Tomato Sandwich looks pretty darn good (what do you know about depressing sandwiches?), your Cinnamon Buns do look a little dry (could be used as a dehumidifier perhaps?) and the Red Velvet Cake made me LOL (laugh out loud).

    In regards to G: if only you two crazy kids could work it out some how, I could finally rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest easy, Shen. He's in the kitchen eating raw garlic as we speak - and I'm letting him.

      Delete
  2. Wow, how did I miss that post of Shen's? I want to try that sandwich now, and I have everything but tomato in the house for it. Must get tomato!

    Mike has made the HH cinnamon rolls, which were okay. I (unfortunately) have a high tolerance for sugar, so I liked them. Working on changing that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is peak tomato season, get it while you can :)

      Delete
  3. Your off brands look like foods I've been eating a lot of lately. Mostly the sugar and refined carbs and daiya. Blame it on the travel. I like that daiya cheddar wedge on crackers. Still haven't tried the brown rice bread. Does it always fall apart? That's kind of what I've been afraid of. The hummus sandwich, cookies and cake look really awesome. And I would have ate all six of those cinnamon rolls, no problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel will certainly throw one for a loop. In my experience, the gf bread is very delicate but I may have been overzealous this time and ripped it out too soon.

      Delete
  4. Where I live is always the last place to get anything cool. Daiya wedges of CHEESE!! I think the grocery store just started carrying the shredded stuff like last year. LAME.
    Funny how things taste different when your are drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm late to the Daiya game too. If you see it, though, it's good stuff!

      Delete
  5. I'm all for off-brand! And it also makes me feel better about my sometimes less than ideal eating habits. :) And I haven't had a chance to try the sliceable Daiya cheddar (people keep swooping it up at the store!) but their harvarti is SO good. When Mike first ate some, he was all, "This is cheese, I don't care if it's vegan, it's cheese".

    And LOL at "...what food normal people eat tastes like". :) Thanks for the brunch shout-out, it's easy to stay motivated because I don't brunch alone! On the mornings I am particularly dead Mike usually makes sure it doesn't fall apart. And then there's mornings like today when I'm all peppy and brunch will probably happen before noon (imagine that)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake cheese has come a long way, for sure.
      You and mike need to come to NYC and brunch here :) (at a restaurant of course, because even with trying to impress yr obviously high standards, I won't be able to get it together.)

      Delete
  6. Glad you tried the Daiya wedge! Definitely try it fully melted, it's a nice treat! I have never tried making cinnamon rolls, might have to do that in the coole months. I know what you mean about the cookies, I tried really hard to like them but do not.

    Tell Greg he owes you a "re-do" meal, and you can pretend you are leaving for another trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, I will. It went quickly :)
      Good idea on the re-do meal. I'll try that.

      Delete
  7. Ha ha - I didn't know there was a Food Feud brand. Does that mean that I have a Miss Rachel brand? I have a lot of food photos that I have never posted, and twice I've tried to rectify the situation by posting "meal of the day" photos every day for a month. I did it successfully in November 2010, but I when I tried to do it again in August (2011), I ended up trailing off and not finishing out the month.

    I love cinnamon rolls so I can't imagine making them and not eating them, but those do look as if they would need a lot of icing. The Middle Eastern vegan sandwich sounds divine and looks very colorful too. I have never tried red velvet cake, but it seems to have been really popular the last few years. It's very pretty if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a miss Rachel brand for sure!
      The second cinnamon roll shot, the icing was melted on already but the others just didn't take it. Cinnamond rolls need to be eaten pretty quickly, it seems, especially lower fat ones, or they really dry out.

      Delete
  8. Haha I love this post! The sandwich looks really really good! I've been craving a grilled cheese like crazy and that definitely would satisfy the craving. The cinnamon rolls look great too! Drinking does weird things to your taste buds, I've eaten some weird crap I'd never eat when I was drunk. I'm planning on a big ol' birthday margarita in two weeks so we'll see what happens with that ;)

    I agree with Ingrid, you should totally get a re-do meal! That cake looks amazing!! The story made me LOL too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the birthday margarita. That sounds like something I'd like to hear about.

      Delete
  9. I've got that same brown rice bread now, and it can be tricky. JK doesn't like it all, though, so it's not going to be the great alternative I was hoping for. Your food looks like it would make our five hungry vegans happy. Even those thrown out rolls, sob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I should have mailed those five extra rolls, it fits yr family perfectly! But you can probably do better.

      Delete
  10. Boy, can I ever relate to the repetition theme — it's what I call my food ruts. I don't really mind except that lately I've been feeling like a rabbit and had to make something totally out of character for lunch. I'm also not a big fan of eating out but everyone else seems to be so I try to fit in and keep my family happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' a good thing moFo is coming up - it'll force me out of the food comfort zone. Are you participating this year??

      Delete
  11. That (spicy- good call) Middle Eastern sammie looks awesome. I have to admit that with so many advertised vegan options, I don't bother looking elsewhere. I guess I don't want to try that hard; let the veganity come to me!

    As for the red velvet, if my eyes do not decieve me I believe it is the same red velvet you can get from The Bean (and from the now defunct Chelsea Market T-Salon), which is from Red Mango bakery. I really like this cake, but I can't figure the bakery out. Their website is from hunger & they don't advertise. Also, I'm pretty sure they make non-vegan goods too. I guess that's good, but still weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I don't try too hard but I'm willing to find something somewhere that someone else suggests.
      mystery surrounds this cake!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.