Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cinnamon Snail Food Truck!

This one's for you, Abby.
After lusting after Abby Bean's descriptions and photos of her amazing meals and treats from the Cinnamon Snail, an entirely organic and vegan food truck, I promised myself I would track it down one of these days. As a food truck, they move around a lot (uh duh) and I've never been in the right neighborhood, or close enough, to get to on my lunch break.
TODAY, however, they were parked in Union Square until 3 and I ran over on my break, seriously giddy with anticipation. They were definitely the only food truck with a crowd outside of it, but there wasn't much of a wait time before devouring my sandwich:


This was the special, Golden Lemongrass Tofu with Thai basil roasted eggplant, sriracha roasted peanuts, arugula and kaffir lime coconut chutney. Um, yeah.
I absconded with the sandwich (and a beer-glazed donut for G) to a relatively quiet corner of the park so as to not embarass too many people who had to watch me scarf that monster down. I'd heard so much about Cinnamon Snail at this point and followed them and their menus on Facebook that it was almost incredible to finally have a sandwich in my hands. I half-expected someone to snatch it back like, "Sorry, can't have it. It was just a mistake." My heart may have leapt when Adam himself called my name to give me the order. Vegan celebrity crush, for sure.
ANYWAY so as you can probably guess, the sandwich was amazing. Seriously. And huge. But I ate it all, dripping whatever on my shorts and hardly even caring.


As for the donut, G described it only as "seriously intense."


Maybe he can clarify for you all later. Oh! And, Allysia, they actually had apple cider donuts like the ones I was talking about lusting after! I was considering going back to get one, but I didn't bring my "pastry carryall" like Abby has...
Totally beats the last food truck experience.

24 comments:

  1. oh my gosh when i get back to nyc i'm going to totally stalk that truck!! what delicious food!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! They have a lot of GF stuff too!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe this. Not only do I have to read Abby's gushing Snail comments, now you're taunting me with amazing food that I can't have. I'm glad you got to try the food truck, I really am, but I just wish I could try it too. I did recently get to try Homegrown Smoker and Native Bowl, two of Portland's famed trucks, but Cinnamon Snail sounds so ... special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty special but the grass is always greener. Native Bowl sounds awesome.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I was hanging onto every word! So jealous! Do they make those donuts? Have you been to Dunwell yet? Why not?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, beer glazed donuts? Sandwiches the size of your head? Envy doesn't even cover it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe the sandwich was TOO big...? Naaahh...

      Delete
  5. Holy sandwich batman! Kaffir lime coconut chutney!! Jealous....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a lot of really inventive and original flavors. It's pretty fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a fantastic sandwich! I'm glad you were able to track it down. I need to see what other vegan or veg friendly trucks there are around here. Beer glazed donut is a new one, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the one who got me hankering for vegan food trucks in the first place! It's like the rush of the chase, plus the tasty food...

      Delete
  7. I keep hearing rave reviews for the Cinnamon Snail, so it's killing me that I haven't been able to try it yet. I just have such trouble keeping track of all the food trucks about, and then matching my schedule to their location... Some day, though! I'll be dreaming of that donut until then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is hard to keep track of them. I joined twitter half for that reason! I'm sure you can make some delicious donuts yrself though.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. So, when are you coming to visit NY?

      Delete
  9. THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL SANDWICH. And if they have those famed apple cider donuts, then that's just another excuse to eat there again! As if you needed another excuse, ha ha. I would totally stalk that food truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely tracking it down again, soon!

      Delete
  10. oh. my. doughnut.
    sigh, one of the many vegan eats i had the best of intentions of tracking down on my recent trip but missed! next time, you and me = hunting down the cinnamon snail together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babycakes sounded like a good substitution. But yeah, next visit you should probably just plan yr vacation spots around the truck's itinerary.

      Delete
  11. Hey! I hit up the snail in unuon square on sat too!!
    I um, might have referred to the mind blowing coconut milk iced coffee and cinnamon snail as "lunch"... And they were both Awesome.
    Too bad they are never near my office, but i was stupid excited to find them :)
    Tofuwich will be next time...
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you get?? The drinks looked good!

      Delete
  12. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much. I have a hectic life, but am so blessed. Cooking is my creative outlet

    cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW DID I MISS THIS REVIEW!? Worse, how did I miss that sandwich? Great donut choice. I'm a Snail apple cider donut fan from way back, but that beer-battered one trumps it for sure. So glad you loved it; totally amazing food from an extraordinary truck.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.