Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Smorgasburg

Today G and I went out to Smorgasburg, a food bazaar / flea market on the Williamsburg waterfront. I've talked about it a little before in this post but I guess my feelings have lightened up a bit since then. It was still pretty decidedly non-vegan, but it appears there are rotating vendors. It might have been an off day or maybe my blinders were on, trying to cope with / avoid the crowds.
G picked up a sandwich from Cemita's, with cheese but no meat. Looks like they really packed it in:


I found a falafel stand and a stand that was sort of just a side of veggies that both looked pretty good but I opted for something a little heartier and more unusual, from Uttapam & Co.


An uttapam (gluten free sourdough pancake) with grilled, locally made (Barry's) tempeh, summer squash, and an apple-cilantro chutney. Don't worry, there were greens consumed with other meals.
We also shared a ginger-apple "soda" from Brooklyn Soda Works, which is just carbonated fruit juice. It was really delicious and cooling.


You can see from the photo what a gorgeous day it was out. They re-did the waterfront area only within the last couple of years and I hadn't visited yet. We walked around, enjoying the breeze and sunshine. Since you seemed to enjoy yesterday's Brooklyn photos, here are a couple more:

                                    Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge in the background.
                                                      Weird creepy graffiti house.
The end. My brother is leaving tomorrow so I might go hang out with him tonight. It was a pretty good day. Hope you all had a pleasant one as well.

21 comments:

  1. i really should get over to brooklyn more often. It sounds like a fun bazaar! and that GF pancake looks wonderful! Enjoy your time with your bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Brooklyn. It often makes me wish I didn't have to go into manhattan at all.

      Delete
  2. The Brooklyn photos are so gorgeous!! The meals look really great, sounds like it would be a fun place to navigate (if the crowds aren't too large/obnoxious). The soda sounds really interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I think I'd like to go back and explore not on a weekend. The soda was so good! I hope they start selling them more widely!

      Delete
  3. Uttapam & Co is gonna go out of business if they keep giving away so much filling on their Uttapams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty generous. I think it was because I was the only one patronizing their stall. Everyone else was glomming ham, or something equally obscene.

      Delete
  4. I want to try that uttapam! I tried but the Indian place I went to said they still use some wheat flour--what?? I was pissed. But better safe than sorry.

    Have you been to the vegan chocolate shop in williamsburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had uttapam before but it was very good. Tangy and spongy. Too bad about the wheat in the place near you!
      But, pray tell, what vegan chocolate shop?? I never hear about the cool stuff!

      Delete
  5. You're so lucky! I wish we lived in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are close! You've probably been to just as many places in the city as I have, haha.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a great day! It looks like a lovely area to explore, and thanks for the introduction to uppatam. :) I'm a fan of carbonated juice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely look into uttapam if you can!

      Delete
  7. What a pretty day. Still loving the city photos. The uttapam looks awesome. I love me some sourdough. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am trying to see the city through a visitor's eyes. If I might be leaving this city, I've got to get in as much as I can, right?

      Delete
  8. So pretty! I can't wait until I get a chance to visit New York. Yay for random street food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I am usually kinda wary about street food/ food trucks/ etc. but I'm glad I tried this stuff.

      Delete
  9. I can't help it; Smorgasburg turns me into Abby Mean. All those hipsters and their artisinal, grass-fed, free-range BS. By the time I get to Barry's Tempeh I'm beside myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally get that. That's kind of why I never really make it to Pine Box for the pop up shops...it's a little too hip for me, and just as crowded without the views of the water. The meat scene was a bit grating as well, but it made the few finds seem even sweeter.

      Delete
  10. You're lucky to find anything vegan at a wharf area. Good job for finding good eats! The shots of town are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there were about 3 or 4 vegan friendly stands... not too bad.

      Delete
  11. The uttapam sandwich looks really good, and I love natural, hippie-type sodas. Still loving the NY pics!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.