Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 9, 2012

Busy Weekend. Spoiler: Kittens

Hey guys, this was a pretty full weekend for me, which is sort of unusual. Here are some photos of the goings-on, as well as some food in-between.

Friday breakfast smoothie: spinach, Vega Vanilla Chai powder, frozen banana, cranberries.

Friday lunch from Paradis: mixed greens, roasted eggplant, tomato and walnuts in a tahini-dill dressing. And inexplicably three pieces of what I think were cheese on top?!? I picked it off and made sure there was no more hiding in there. That was weird because they're usually good about listing all the ingredients in the salad. Eh.
 That night, I met up with a friend after work, we got a couple drinks and headed to see MEN !!! It was so much fun. They are a queer, dancey, electro band headed by JD Samson of Le Tigre (another favorite band.) I danced and drank more and yelled stuff and JD even responded to me once! Ah, I geeked out. What a blast.
Here is a photo from the night that my friend Tara took on her phone (she's also a really talented photographer IRL):


After the show ended (like, super early! like, 10:19!) we walked around and hit up one more place, Lillie's, an Irish/Victorian bar! It was filled with eerily trendy people doing the real Friday-night thing, but it was beautiful inside with stained glass and porcelain stuff and hardwood floors and wallpaper, so we got one drink and skedaddled. I'd love to return on an off-night.

Saturday lunch: Falafel sandwich (with onions, hummus and hot sauce) from Rainbow Falafel near Union Square. Falafelites are divided about the best in the city, this is one name that comes up pretty frequently. Not bad; I wish there were more salad in it.
 After work I biked to see a friend's band (Enemy Owl) play at Acheron, a metal bar in East Williamsburg. Then I biked a lot more all over this place.
Sunday I got up, not too incredibly hungover and took the train out to Queens to catch a Mets game with a co-worker and some of his friends.
For Ingrid, here are some shots of CitiField, where they play:

Train stop. It used to say "Shea Stadium-Willets Point" Shea was their old ballpark until it got torn down a couple years ago to build the new CitiField, in the Shea parking lot area. The design of Citi is based on Ebbet's Field, where the Brooklyn Dodgers used to play.


                                             Nosebleed seats. I kinda get vertigo up there.

        One of my favorite (former) players, the one and only Keith "Mex" Hernandez. Swankkk.

The Mets lost to the Cubs (the worst team in baseball) but it was a good day out, despite the sweltering heat, holy crap. I got a weird sunburn and sweated at least a beer and a half straight out. After the game we went to the Astoria Beer Garden and...yeah.
So! Finally, today, I went out to my parent's house armed with a camera to take a milli photos of these two little kittens she just adopted!!! They are brothers!!! How freaking cute!!


A former co-worker posted on facebook that she rescued these two little ones that were about to cross the street!! She has three cats of her own and knows how to take amazing care of kittens, but she just couldn't keep them. I don't remember if I told you all or not but my mom's cat passed away in March, and she didn't want to rush into getting another cat but some time has passed and she visited these little dudes and fell in love immediately. It's easy to see why.
My mom had to work all day today so I went over to visit the kittens and play with them and socialize them a little. They are only about three weeks old so they are suuuper tiny, but really frisky and sweet.



They wouldn't stop moving long enough for a good shot! I took a video but it has my "talking to kitties baby talk" voice, so, uh, maybe some other time. Phew!
Post-kittens, burritos:


Nopalitos burrito with refried beans, potatoes, salad, radishes, and salsa verde from Taco Chulo. That is my entire weekend. It was a good one! Do you guys prefer busy weekends, or slow, chill ones? I usually stay pretty low-key but sometimes mania kicks in and I need to get out of the house. Plus, the more I do on weekends, it kind of feels like the weekend was longer. So, yeah! Here's to next weekend. You know, everybody is workin' for the weekend.

29 comments:

  1. KITTIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEES!!! OMG how adorable!! I can't even deal with those faces, they are just too precious!

    Awesome looking smoothie and salad and falafel sandwiches are always amazing. That one looks pretty great!

    I went to Mets games all the time when I was a kid at Shea Stadium. I haven't been to Citi Field yet though. I don't know why, I used to have fun at the games. My dad made me into a Mets fan in my developing years ha! Very cool that you got to go. For some reason I was a major Howard Johnson (HoJo) fan when I was a kid. :X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HoJo!! I love it! Are yr family mets fans?? I guess most LI'ers are.

      Delete
    2. Yup my dad and bro and major Mets fans :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, the cheese on salad thing has definitely happened to me more than once! It's nice when it's in pieces big enough to pick off, not like crumbly feta or something. 10:19 is SUPER early for a band to finish, usually they don't even start until after that! Your weekend seemed very beer-filled (mine was too!), which can be very wonderful sometimes. Those kittens are insanely cute. I want them!

    It really depends, but I like my weekends fairly busy. I like doing stuff! The flip side is that doing stuff usually translates into booze consumption, and it's way too easy for me to go overboard. Eventually I'll balance it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my friends bands are the same way about starting super late. I'm glad we got there "early" or we would have missed it!

      Delete
  3. I am disturbed that Samson passed away and you didn't even mention it.

    Looks like a pretty cool (figuratively) weekend. Good job not falling into any potholes during your drunken revelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and mca died at the same time. It was an intense period.

      Delete
  4. Aaaaah! Baby kitties!! (Said in my "baby kitty" voice.) I can totally imagine their little yelps and meows, which are more like "mew" at that stage. CAN'T HANDLE IT!!

    Anyway, thanks for the sharing the Mets stadium! It's really beautiful! I have an appreciation for architecture, and I'm glad they built it the style of the Ebbit Field.

    It sounds like you had a fun and tasty weekend! Have you been able to locate the raw vegan truck again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total mews!!! I love it! Also, just posted about the truck for ya ;)

      Delete
  5. When I have a busy weekend, I wish I'd taken it easy to be more responsible. When I spend it cleaning and otherwise vegging out, I wish I'd had some fun!

    Cats totally hate me (inexplicable, but true), but for some reason this dog person woke up this morning & said- aloud (to myself), "Maybe I need a cat?" Not sure where that came from, but those kittens aren't helping. Also, that yawny one doesn't look like he would hate me, so maybe I have a chance somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way; basically never happy. Ha.
      These cats are total darlings and would love you, I'm positive. Who can deny yawny love?

      Delete
  6. what a fun weekend! and oh my gosh those kittens are the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, aren't they? One is a little bigger than the other; that's the only way to tell them apart.

      Delete
  7. Kittens!!!! (And awesome food too.) Looks like a way fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry little black kittens trump it all. So freaking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. have to echo the other comments: KITTTEHS!!!!!!!!

    also, yeah MEN! Saw them open for the Gossip a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I love the Gossip! The girl I went to the concert with is from their town (Little Rock, AK) and is actually good friends with them!

      Delete
  10. New kitty family members! How fun!!

    Sounds like a super weekend. I like the sound of that salad (sans the cheese stuff of course). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to be their godmother!!

      Delete
  11. Wow, great weekend you had! It sounds exhausting but so much fun.

    The kittens are definitely the highlight of the post. Such cuties! Is that you in the pic with one? I spot a tattoo! Mind telling us what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, of course they are. I will probably do a tattoo post soon, as I'm getting another soon! The one on my leg is a marker and a whiteout pen...!

      Delete
  12. I'd be lying if I said I didn't immediately scroll all the way down to see the kitten photos. What cuties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I should have just given them their own post!

      Delete
  13. What an exciting New York weekend. You did so much it's impressive! There's a really good falafel place in Hartford, and I wonder how it compares to New York. I'll have to try New York falafel some time. The kittens are so sweet. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite beat after that weekend :) In a good way.

      Delete
  14. I'm probably going to end up coming home with a kitten one of these days, thanks to all of you cat bloggers, and I'm not even a cat person deep down. But they're so cute. Lots of fun stuff here!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.