Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, June 4, 2012

Unexpected Greenery

You guys know I love my greens. I honestly feel off-kilter when I don't eat enough of them. However, like I said, I've been kind of busy or, at least, my mind has been elsewhere, and after sadly slacking on grocery purchases, I found myself without spinach or kale, my two staples.
But I needed salad! What oh what to do? Digging in the vegetable bin, I found some recently purchased beets with their tops still on.


This is raw beet greens, avocado, red pepper, olives, portabella mushrooms, and red onion. Dressed with mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and black pepper.
Second salad, still spinach-less, I used parsley as my green base! Thanks to Shen for the tip on keeping parsley fresh by keeping it in a glass of water on the counter top. It really helped me out this time.


I think some people don't love parsley because it definitely has a more potent flavor than spinach or other greens, but it is so incredibly good for you. Plus, when you load it up with other delicious veggies and an awesome dressing, the parsley is just a refreshing backdrop. This salad is parsley, portabella (I bought three to cook for Memorial Day and got too lazy to turn the oven on, so raw it is!), cherry tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, olives, and red onion. In a hummus/mustard dressing (2:1 hummus:mustard with water to thin).
And, not exactly a salad but a way to use greens without even trying. I'm not gluten-free but I try not to eat straight up bread or crackers anymore, beyond the occasional treat. I just feel uncomfortably full when I do and I'd rather the taste focus on the fillings. That's what we're there for anyway, right? Bread is just the usual conveyance of food to one's mouth. But it doesn't need to be! I picked up some collard greens today to use as a wrap (rather than a bun or tortilla) for the burgers from the other day.


Stuffed with sprouts, carrot, tomato, red onion, burger, hummus, and mustard. Wrapped up and devoured.
So there ya go. It's easier to get yr greens in than you may have thought. Sometimes ya just gotta expand yr chlorophyllic horizons. Have a good evening, guys.

24 comments:

  1. what an outrageous looking salad! i bet that mustard balsamic dressing pairs beautifully with the avocado and the olives....yum yum yum! thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mustard-balsamic is my usual standby. It goes so well with EVERYTHING! Just like avo and olives :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm, it all looks soo good! Especially the wrap and the mushrooms in the salad. Good work on improvising on the greens! I've changed my bread/pasta intake over the past 2 years too, and I agree, I feel a lot better when I don't eat it very often. I actually don't miss pasta at all, but a loaf of fresh bread or baguette is a treat that I would miss if I didn't have it every now and then. I think the difference is that the bread has yeast and I'm a bit of a fermentation fiend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, that's a funny connection! I didn't think about the fermentation process in bread at all! Usually fermentation is talked about with raw foods, but yr so right. Hmm...interesting!

      Delete
    2. I do think the yeast/fermentation makes the difference for me.

      By the way, what's your opinion on raw/fermented foods. I was under the impression that miso, raw sauerkraut, raw cured pickles etc. were good for you (sodium aside) due to probiotics and live cultures. But, my neighbor from Taiwan says she doesn't eat fermented food very often, because it's been linked to stomach cancer...like in Korea and Japan where they eat a lot of pickled foods, there's supposed to be higher cancer rates. Who knows what other things might be co-related there though.

      Now I'm in a quandry...I've been looking into it online, but I sooo want the answer to be that they are healthy and good...they must be good right?

      Delete
    3. Oh, dear. I was under the same impression as you that they were healty. I guess I don't eat them TOO often - maybe it's all in moderation but I do love, love them. Let us know if you find anything out for sure. Til then, I'll probably still be enjoying my kimchee...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You look like you do a pretty good job yrself!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't bear life without greens!!!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that would be a sad, sad life.

      Delete
  5. Coming from a place of can't-find-kale, I'm always keen on using other types of greens! Coriander and mint are my current favourite amp 'em up herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't find kale?? How sad! Coriander and mint both sound fantastic, though, I've got to try that.

      Delete
  6. You are my salad role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! Just trying to eat, ya know how it is.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful salads! I'm with Ingrid, you are my salad role model too. I need to be more creative with my salads, yours always look so great! The burger wrap looks really great too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours always look fantastic too! You know what you like and do it well!

      Delete
  8. Great tip on the parsley! A bunch is way too much for a single batch of pate, but I hate for it to go to waste. I've been stuck in a soup rut lately (I know; it's summer!), so this is really enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this bunch was from memorial day's pink potato salad and was still going strong!
      Soup and a salad is a lunchtime classic. What kinda soup??

      Delete
  9. I've really got to keep collard greens around for wraps. They're always so good! I've been eating way too much bread lately, anyway.

    Kudos to Shen on the great parsley tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collard greens are cool to "keep around" also because they seem to last longer than other greens too. I really dig them as wraps - they're just so fun to eat.

      Delete
  10. I'm really hungry at the moment and looking at your blog full of things I'd like to be eating was probably not a good idea. Yes, I love parsley and will add tons of it to salads. I just planted some in the garden and I keep checking it to see if it's grown, but maybe a watched plant doesn't grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since learned to eat dinner before browsing the blogs :) I hope yr parsley does well! I should have planted some already! Fresh herbs are so nice to have on hand - and free!

      Delete
  11. Aww! You brought tears to my eyes. I do keep my Parsley (and Scallions) in a glass of water on the kitchen counter, but I never knew I mentioned that on the blog. My life was not lived in vain!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same with scallions recently and grew a scary scallion monster with weird roots... I think you've touched more lives than you know, Shen.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.