Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, June 11, 2012

Stir Fry

Well, I didn't make it outside today for groceries (or anything else). I'd like to get to a friend's birthday party tomorrow and I want to rest my foot up as much as possible before then.
There were probably a couple random plates I could have thrown together with the food in the apartment but the broccoli and bell pepper were getting a little sad and everything else just wasn't a meal meal. However, reading Jes' post about her farm-fresh veggies, I was reminded of the ever-versatile and oh-so-easy stir fry! I rarely consider that option because I like to eat high raw, especially if I had such a huge selection of fresh vegetables like she did. But the dish is also perfect for languishing produce (and the last of the brown rice I made last week).


Brown rice, red bell pepper, broccoli, carrot, daikon, mushrooms, celery, snap peas, ginger, onion, and garlic (I'm embarassed to say exactly how old some of these veggies were) were lightly cooked in a skillet with about a TBS of olive oil and enough water to steam-fry. The sauce I added was pretty simple, just soy sauce and rice vinegar. Topped it all off with sesame seeds and sriracha.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are taking it easy and decided to stay in today. The stir fry looks beautiful! Easy, hearty, nutritious and comforting! Perfect meal :)

    Hope you are feeling better tomorrow and can get to that party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Invalid or not, your food looking better than ever. No Tofu or Temph in that stir-fry?

    Who has a party on a Tuesday night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add tempeh and forgot! Oh well, the rice was filling enough.
      I LOVE that my friend had her party on a Tuesday - everything is wayyy too crowded on actual weekends. Plus I already kinda go to bars any night of the week (except Friday and Saturdays!)

      Delete
    2. You are so like the girls on 'Girls', only girlier!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan - hopefully tomorrow you'll feel up to make the trip! I often forget about stir fry meals as well! Including lately. I should make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a good old stir-fry is just what you need to hit the spot — and use up the veggies. Older veggies seem to taste better cooked and seasoned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stir Fries are great for that very reason! They can salvage older veggies, they're fast, and delicious! have fun at the birthday party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stir-fries (is that correct? Can you pluralize it?) are straight-up comfort food. And soy sauce/rice vinegar/sriracha is a totally acceptable topping choice...pretty much anything with sriracha is, ha ha! :) Hope the birthday party goes well, both in the way that it's fun, and in the way that you're not in crazy pain and have to sit in a corner the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for stir-fries! They are just so darn good. Though I'm on my fourth bowl of mine and getting a little tired of it :) Need to add sriracha to it tomorrow to give it that extra yummy kick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors in the stir fry. We eat them quite often. I hope your foot is feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's right - rest that foot of yours!

    I only recall ever having a stir-fry once in my life, while I was only vegetarian. I guess I don't like the thought of cooking up my vegetables either, since I prefer them raw. But this sure does look freaking tasty. Minus the mushrooms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sesame and sriracha rescue left-overs! yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a nice looking bowl. I have occasionally had to use some "sad looking" produce myself; it just happens that way sometimes. I hope your ankle is feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.