Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 14, 2012

Vega Berry Shake

It really shouldn't be so difficult to get a decent post up every once in a while. I'm gonna shoot for at least one good shot of an interesting bit of food a day. I may just have burnt myself out on the whole "here's what I eat" thing, since I eat so much of the same stuff.
I haven't had a smoothie in a while, yesterday I remedied that. Vega actually sent me a couple samples of their newly reworked protein formula, VegaOne, which I am really excited about. They sent vanilla chai, chocolate, berry, and natural flavors. Previously I've only tried vanilla and natural, which I liked, but I wanted to try out a new flavor:


This includes Vega berry flavor powder (I used half the sample package), 1 cup spinach, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 tsp. chia seeds, about 1/4 c. soaked goji berries (plus more to garnish), and about 3/4 c of water to blend.
Totally refreshing and really good. The berry powder didn't taste fake, nor was the stevia flavor overpowering. This was maybe due to using half the serving size, which I might recommend anyway if you buy the powder because it is pretty expensive - though totally worth it.
The new formula has more fiber, more protein, more greens, and probiotics. They also claim the taste is improved so that you can even enjoy with water alone, but I haven't tried that.
There's an awesome sounding recipe for energy bars on the Vega site, so maybe I'll try that soon but I'm definitely looking forward to more smoothies.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you got samples of these powders! I'm going to be using a lot of protein powder over the next 5 months so I'm going to have to figure out a less expensive route. Great to hear the new formula is tasty! I've never tried berry flavored protein powder, maybe I'll grab an individual packet next time I'm at Whole Foods. THe smoothie looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comMay 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM

      Have you ever tried or found peanut flour? Its just "de-fatted" peanuts dried and pulverized- excellent mixed with almond milk or in smoothies and really high in protein (16g and 110cal per 1/4cup!) but soooooo much cheaper than protein powders and without any mysterious ingredients.... Easily found on amazon.com fyi

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip I'll have to check that out!

      Delete
  2. I really like goji berries, but I'm not a fan of protein powders. Mike has gotten several different ones and seems to like them, though. Vanilla chai is one I could see trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've kinda always wanted to try out these powder things. The price intimidates me a little. :) But then, Brendan Brazier is a cool guy! But hooray for free samples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about getting posts up--just do it when you can! The shake looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts, whenever and whatever they entail! I've seen the Vega powders but not had one, it looks like they mixed up quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VAVA, I wonder if there's a way to make yr own? maybe just add a lot of hemp to smoothies...but that's probably expensive too.

    molly, that's funny, I'm not even a huge fan of goji berries - or plain, anyway, but they work well in smoothies, I think.

    Allysia, yeah, even when I pay for them I only get the sample sizes. maybe it's worth going halfsies with someone?

    Jes, thanks :) Not all my posts are of yr caliber though!

    Ingrid, thank you, sweet as always. They did blend up quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very berry shake looks great! Thanks for such good posts!!
    http://www.veganrawfood.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for some nice blogs lately and this one just caught my eyes. Have a good day ahead. Such interesting content you have. incense smoke

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.