Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Food and Friends

Soo, like I said, I was in the city yesterday on my day off, which is rare since it takes a lot to get me out of the house. But this was important: I was meeting up with Jenny of Vegan and So Forth! I've been following her blog for probably about as long as I've been blogging (maybe we "met" one MoFo? I can't remember!) and she has always struck me as one of the kindest and most giving bloggers I know.
Anyway, she seems to travel a lot and is in New York fairly frequently. This time she was here with her newest addition and one of her older children.
We met at Sacred Chow, a 100% vegan and kosher restaurant in the West Village. I told Jenny she has probably been to more NYC restaurants than I have but this is one restaurant I've been to (once before, as I used to work across the street) and she hadn't.
I'm not big on taking photos in public but I'm less shy about it when other people are doing it as well (one of the benefits of blogger meet-ups!) And so, the Kale Caesar salad with Tofu Croutons, which we both ordered:


It was good! I'm not sure what the dressing was made of; it tasted like a creamy mustard, kind of. I'm used to totally loaded salads, and this could have had a few more vegetables but it was filling either way. Also, I had not been eating enough greens recently and this definitely hit the spot.
That's my short re-cap. I had a lot of fun and, again, Jenny, thanks for getting me out of the house. I'd never had a meet-up before and I'm kind of awkward and shy but this was laid back and nice! And now that the ice has been broken, I'm all, "Every blogger, let's hang out forever! Party at my place, come on down. And bring yr pets and kids." That was another thing! I'm not around kids very often so I never really know what to expect but I was totally impressed with Jenny's kids. They're super well-behaved and seem very intelligent. Not to mention, what a cutie.
Can't wait for her re-cap of the whole trip and to see other places I need to visit.

23 comments:

  1. I think it's so cool that you met Jenny! Abby just posted the same photo on her blog — she loves Sacred Chow — have you had a meetup with her yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope; we're like two ships passing in the night...

      Or maybe our paths keep crossing, but my face is always in a slice of cake?

      Hopefully soon!

      Delete
  2. How fun that you met up with Jenny! It sounds like a perfect time and your salad looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! And even the small salad was a big salad :) I love when that happens.

      Delete
  3. Aww that is so wonderful that you got to meet up! It sounds like you had a lovely time :)

    I'm like you and have barely been to any vegan restaurants despite being from NY. I feel like I need to change that. The salad sounds so good! I love the idea of tofu croutons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made it to One Lucky Duck, at least! That's been on my list for a long time too. The tofu croutons were good, though I did expect them to be a little more baked.

      Delete
  4. Agreed - how cool to meet someone new and have them be so awesome. And over such a good looking salad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would have been nice even if the salad weren't so good but that was an added bonus :)

      Delete
  5. It's imperative that you return to try the dijon kale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sacred chow is the greatest:) that salad looks wonderful! i'm glad you had fun meeting up with Jenny! It's so cool how the blog world brings people together! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that you've been there too. They seem to do pretty well. And yes, the blog world translates so nicely to real life people I would otherwise never meet.

      Delete
  7. There's no point in meeting up with Jenny and brood if you're not going to dish on how the brats misbehaved and Jenny was a b*tch on wheels.

    Were they impressed that you used to work at the PB&J joint across the street? I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shen, how could I say such things when Jenny forbade me from saying anything mean and then said "OR ELSE." my hands are tied, except in the comments section.

      Delete
  8. Yaaay for food meetups! Loved my first one in England--I'm with you, bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice looking salad. I have never had a blogger meet-up. The closest I've gotten is connecting on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool you met Jenny, and two of her adorable offspring! That salad looks great; I must look into that tofu crouton idea. I agree, could use a few more veggies, but I guess they were going the traditional route. I like to add black olives, and red onion at the very least when I do a vegan caesar.

    Thanks for the invite; I'll be there soon with my all pets...sorry no kids...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jes, at least you travelled! I'm just waiting for people to come to me, ha!

    miss Rachel, this was definitely out of character for me but fun. I hope you get a chance to sometime!

    Rose, they are more adorable in person. I've never added olives to a kale salad but that sounds great. Red onion is a must, though. I would love to meet all yr pets! I'll get my cat on her best behavior for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww!!! Thanks for the kind words! You are way too generous. It was fun to meet you, and we'll definitely get together next time I'm in town. I'm home now, and I'll try to blog sometime in the next few days. :) have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay meetups! Last year I went to the vegan vida con and ended up meeting lots of folks I knew from blogland and it was tons of fun. :) And I'll have to catch up with you sometime next year when I'm in the area! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meetups are awesome, I have done it through Etsy, and met one blogger at a local vegan joint. The salad looks fantastic. Tofu croutons!!!!Years ago when I lived in NY I frequented a vegan place in the West Village called "Whole Wheat and Berries". Anybody remember that place or am I dating my already dated self?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.