Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, April 22, 2012

VegNews Veracruz Tacos

Greg loves tacos. There's no denying that. And while they're never my first choice for a meal, they're fun to eat and can be stuffed with any number of fillings.
I get VegNews updates via e-mail occasionally and recently, this recipe stuck out at me for being an interesting combination of flavors and a good mix of healthy (Swiss chard) and decadent (vegan chorizo). I didn't follow the recipe or directions exactly, as I was more interested in certain separate ingredients than verisimilitude.
G and I used vegan multigrain flour tortillas, rather than corn; I used sweet potatoes rather than regular because I had them on hand and I thought the sweetness would be a good contrast with the spicy fillings; I also left out the oregano, capers,  tomatoes, and oil. We also both topped our tortillas with avocado because that is never a bad idea.

                                                                   Greg's plate

                                        my plate; I left the chard raw

But either way, we both loaded it up and it was delicious. We used the mexican chipotle Field Roast links, which were pretty spicy, especially with the canned adobo chipotles, but the avocado and sweet potato really tempered it nicely.
Any ideas on what else to do with the leftover chipotles? I was thinking of blending them into some hummus.
Anyway, I hope you all had a nice Earth Day! It was raining all day here, good for the ground. I tried not to breathe too much (ya know, to conserve oxygen) but mostly I worked on an essay and enjoyed some vegan food (one of the healthiest things you can do for both yrself and the planet!) Did you celebrate in any way?

18 comments:

  1. I should try my chard raw too sometimes :-)

    Ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy awesome tacos! I love the mix of avocado & sweet potato--yums. Chipotles keep for, well, I've never had any go bad yet, so I put them in a plastic container and use one here and there in recipes over a year or so. They're great for spicing up soups and hummus is a great idea--even a little of the sauce goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point that everyday is Earth Day when you're making good food choices. I also like your use of the word "verisimilitude." I have only used chipotles to make mayo...soooo good - but maybe not your thing. I love, love the look of the meal you've made above, and it's making me wonder if our Kroger has organic tortilla shells for tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your taco is the most vibrant, healthy taco I've ever seen and I mean that in the best possible way ever! It looks so amazing! I bet the chipotles would be delicious in the hummus too, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You couldn't wait two weeks for Cinco De Mayo?

    I've got a good bit of Chard as well ($1.99 per bunch on sale at WF's, organic to boot!).

    Put the Chipotles in the freezer, for when you make Chili.

    Never use a 50 cent word when a 25 cent word will do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, these look awesome! love me some tacos too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that you used sweet potatoes! The tacos look great and now I'm thinking I may have to try some of those Field Roast links if I can find them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH BOY. Now these are what I call some proper vegan tacos! They look so bomb (I'm feeling yours more over G's ;) )

    I celebrated Earth Day by putting myself on lock-down.
    It's the only way I seem to be able to get stuff done these days. Then again, I think I played more than half my collection of records and span around in my desk chair for most of the day before I even touched any of my work. ADHD. It's a bitch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alessandra; I love chard in any and all forms; I just think it bulks up better when left uncooked.

    Jes, my chipotles were the ones in the tin in adobo sauce - do you use dried ones? I took them out of the can to freeze so hopefully they'll keep longer. They are really flavorful but SO spicy!

    Jenny, I bet you're homeschooling yr kids on that word! Whatever dinner you make, I'm sure it's fantastic. Hope all is well with you.

    Thanks, VaVa. It was really tasty and not hard to put together. It may be repeated...often.:)

    Shen, I held G off for 2 days - he couldn't wait until Cinco de mayo! Sweet deal on the chard; I noticed you've been using it a lot lately.

    Jess, I may now be hooked as well.

    molly, I prefer sweet potatoes most of the time - and I highly recommend the Field Roast links!

    Isobelle, why thank ya. I've been much the same: fooling around much more than getting to work but....eh. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love tacos, and I like seeing the view out your window; urban living is great. I love Field Roast links, and my favorite are the Smoked Apple Sage, but I have enjoyed the Chipotle too - they're very hot and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the neighbors were having a party that day - you can kind of see the balloons. I've tried the apple sage variety in a butternut squash risotto and you're right; they are really good.

      Delete
  11. Avocado is NEVER a bad idea! 20 points for verisimilitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give myself 20 points for avocado too. Where do I get my points approved?

      Delete
  12. You do take your liberties with a recipe, don't you? And all for the good of the taco, I say. It makes me wonder why we ever stopped eating tacos around here — used to love them so much. As for the chipotles in adobo, why not do a series of tacos and burritos — each one with different ingredients. Field Roast is made right here in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, yes, I suppose - but I never would have come up with olives and chard and potatoes in a taco by myself! I think G will very much approve of your suggestion to constantly make burritos and tacos simply to use up the chipotles. Do you eat soy chorizo if you can't eat the Field Roast?

      Delete
    2. I don't eat things with gluten. I actually prefer my tacos with beans.

      Delete
  13. I completely missed Earth Day -- but vowed that next year I'd celebrate by planting something and doing other nature girl stuff. :) Your tacos look killer, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure the Earth will be around next year for you to celebrate. And thank you.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.