Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Freaky with Hijiki

About a year ago or so G and I visited Angelica Kitchen, a long-established New York institution of a restaurant. It had definitely been on my to-visit list for a while and now that we've been, I always think of going back. (It's pretty close to where I work; the only deterrent is the price - though it really is worth it.)
Until then, another homemade bowl. This is a recreation of their Dragon Bowl, which is described on the menu as rice, beans, tofu, sea vegetables, and steamed vegetables. Their menu also answers the mystery of the name: it is "named for the Chinese bowl in which it was originally served."


I used brown basmati rice, adzuki beans (first time cooking them!), organic firm tofu, hijiki, and steamed broccoli, zucchini, carrot, kale, and mushroom.
I served it up with tahini-miso sauce and sriracha. So nourishing, filling, and, most importantly, delicious.


Any other sea vegetables you guys enjoy working with or eating? I wasn't sure if I should include a mix of seaweeds in this bowl. I've used wakame in my miso soups before, use nori for wraps, and eaten arame in a ready-made salad. I'm not exactly sure how much the tastes differ among them, or if nutrients differ from one to another, so I just got hijiki (which I believe is most often used in bowls like these?)

15 comments:

  1. Yum what a great looking bowl! I've been trying to get more sea veggies in my diet (dulse flakes, nori snacks, etc.) and this definitely seems like a great way to add some in! Yum, another great looking bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I want to try dulse flakes but they're so expensive whenever I find them.

      Delete
  2. I've heard about Dragon Bowls, but never had them! Nori and wakame are the only sea vegetables I've tasted (the latter I really should buy again for miso soup - thanks again for the broth rec!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragon bowls are probably pretty varied but I've never had a bad one. Glad you liked the soup!

      Delete
  3. With the exception of Maine Coast Sea Vegetables seasonings I have not used sea vegetables in my kitchen, but I'm open to the idea. Your freaky hijiki bowl looks delicious and the tahini-miso sauce looks especially yummy. How do you make that sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I've never heard of that seasoning. The miso-tahini dressing is equal parts miso to tahini and water stirred in to the desired texture. The easiest!

      Delete
  4. I love your dressing combos! That bowl looks so of delicious goodness! I tend to like the milder sea vegetables like arame, but I use dulse and kombu too. Have you tried sea beans? We had some at a restaurant a few months ago and I thought I might not be able to eat them if they were too seaweedy tasting, but they were really yummy, not too strong at all.

    Hope you're having a good weekend and a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your holiday was nice too, Rose! I've never heard of sea beans! They sound wild... I'll keep an eye out.

      Delete
  5. My kind of bowl. It looks and sounds so delicious — great dressing choice. I think sea veggies are a great addition, though I usually opt for arame over hijiki. You may have been joking when you titled the post, but hijiki IS a little freaky. :) It tastes good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All seaweed is kinda freaky when you think about it... and to think as a kid, it was just the stuff I kicked off my legs at the beach :)

      Delete
  6. Looks good:) I mostly eat nori, spirulina and kelp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! Spirulina! The blue green queen of the sea.

      Delete
  7. Anything is amazing with tahini-miso sauce. What did you think of the adzuki beans? I adore their earthy sweetness. I'm not too familiar with seaweed beyond the typical nori and kelp, though I have used kombu in stocks before. Which is delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the adzuki beans! I had no idea they were the ones used in red bean pastries but it makes sense. The flavor was a little lost in this bowl, but I'm definitely going to be making them more often.

      Delete
  8. Ttrockwood@yahoo.comApril 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM

    I am sooo in love with angelicas kitchen! My favorite is the "thai me up" raw dish, and the curry cashew pate is amazing... The best part is that its only a few blocks away from Stogo :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.