Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Potato-Beet Salad with Dill and Olives

Hooray for blog friends who anticipate my refrigerator's contents! When Allysia posted this Potato-Beet salad recipe the other day, I was stoked because I had randomly snatched up two potatoes at the Farmer's market and G and I had a beet leftover from our weekly salad. I always have pretty everything else on hand, too, minus the dill (and the veganaise, which I don't like and didn't include in the recipe. I didn't want to mess with the flavors but, having tasted the salad, I think some mustard would be a good substitute.)




I made it last night and had it sit in the fridge so I could eat it for lunch today.




(over hidden tempeh, with carrot and celery sticks for later.)
Pretty, no? It was tasty too! I added extra lemon juice and olives because I love the acidic bite, which was nicely tempered with the fresh dill. It reminds me of a potato salad that my mom makes with pickle juice, but this is nicely sweet with the roasted beet. I also love how seasonal this is - relying on winter roots, but ushering in spring with the fresh, green dill and bright pink color.
Yay, thanks, Allysia! Greg despises dill so I get to finish this up tomorrow. In the meantime, what should I do with the rest of the huge bunch??

10 comments:

  1. I had a feeling I'd be seeing this recipe on here ;) Yours is just as beautiful as Allysia's! I seriously need to try beets... among a million other awesome things!

    As for the dill, Isobelle posted a dill baked tofu recipe in her last post that sounded really good. Maybe you could try that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Good call! I really wanted to try that too! Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  2. The potato-beet salad is beautiful!

    Dill is one of my favorite herbs. It's really good with carrots. I have used it in carrot soup and also served it over steamed carrots with Earth Balance. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg's a weirdo, who could hate dill? And I think you're a weirdo for not liking Vegenaise, ha ha. :) Logan's the opposite, I've caught him eating a spoonful of it and calling it "dessert". Now that I think about it, maybe HE'S the weirdo.

    When I have an abundance of dill I usually make borscht because I'm all Polish-Ukrainian that way, but it's also really nice chopped and stirred into a creamy cashew sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, that recipe sounds great! I think the addition of the olives sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a nice transition with root veggies and spring color / herbs! Ideas for dill use: Garlic-Dill White Bean Hummus, Cucumber Salad (I've recipes from this lady before - all quite good), or just go here:
    http://www.vegangela.com/tag/dill/


    http://quantumvegan.com/2011/01/28/recipe-garlic-dill-white-bean-hummus-vegan/

    http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/cucumber-salad-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ms. rachel. I got a lot of comments on it today at work too - one person thought I was just eating a giant bowl of raspberries! I think beets go totally unnoticed for most people. Carrots and dill is a classic! I should make some, definitely.

    Allysia, we're all our own very special weirdos. I am fermenting some cashew cheese right now to be rolled in fresh dill, wahoo!

    Bm, the olives were awesome! Just the right punch.

    Ingrid, thanks for the links. The hummus sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post stoked lots of vegan controversy, eh? I'm a Beet hater, a Vegenaisse lover and a Dill moderate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, Shen. Stand with big business why dontcha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like veganaise, either - the stuff freaks me out and gives me a terrible stomach ache. In other news, this potato salad looks delicious.. I keep my fridge stocked with beets becuase they get tossed into my smoothie every day, but I'm going to have to reserve a few and try this.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.