Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Beet Smoothie and the Rest of the Orange

Breakfast: Choosing Raw's Beet n' Berry Smoothie!


I had wanted to make this since Gena posted it last week. Is it not a gorgeous color?? I love beets and usually have them on hand but mylk and oranges only make sporadic appearances. Everything finally aligned today and I'm so happy I made this - it's amazing! It was surprisingly sweet and didn't taste too earthy, like beets can (I like that aspect but some people don't.) It was also amazingly thick, for not including a banana!
I eat bananas almost everyday so it's nice to have a smoothie that doesn't depend on them - that way I can just eat them as a snack. I added some protein powder to the smoothie and maybe that made it thicker but I really loved the staying power and the texture of the drink.
Since the recipe only called for 1/2 cup of orange - about 1/2 the fruit, I saved the other half (minus two sections that I ate) to put on salad for dinner.


This is spinach, parsley, cherry tomatoes, red onion, avocado, cucumber slices and orange pieces. Dressed in lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. You usually see grapefruit in salads with avocado, I didn't think oranges would be much different. It made the salad a little sweet but it was nice with the onion and balsamic vinegar.

10 comments:

  1. The smoothie does look gorgeous, but it's got ... beets. I admit to not being the biggest beet fan, so it's not surprising I wouldn't put one in my smoothie. I'm sure it's delicious for beet lovers, though. The salad on the other hand, is something I'd eat any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onion and oranges always go well together in salads! If you added dried cranberries and walnuts, it would be one of my favorite combos. Yum!

    Gorgeous smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That smoothie is a gorgeous color!! So vibrant! The salad is really lovely and colorful too. I like that you strategically placed the cucumbers around the perimeter ;) Look at you being all fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still not on "the smoothie train" but that smoothie is beautiful. The color would make a great lipstick or nail polish shade. I love cooked beets.

    The salad looks good too. I love savory foods, but I think a little sweetness added to salad makes a nice contrast with the savory flavors. Ingrid's idea of adding craisins and walnuts sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say that drinking Beet juice can give you an indicator of how fast your metabolism is. When I drank it a few years ago, it took 48 hours for my pee to come out pink but it only took Mr. SV 24 hours for his. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo, that smoothie is gorgeous! I would have never thought of combining beets & berries, but I bet I'd love it.

    What SV said is very interesting..... I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why I haven't tried putting beet in a smoothie...it's on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read "best smoothie" first. but yes, beets are so good in smoothies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, I've also seen a fennel-orange salad that I want to make!

    Ingrid, hmmm I've never tried that. I must explore more, obviously.

    VaVa, yes, so fancy ;)

    Shen, I don't recall...sorry.

    ms. rachel, what is it about smoothies you don't enjoy?

    molly, yeah, I'm intrigued too. Next time I'll have to be more aware.

    Amber, can't wait to see yr take on it.

    malin, both! Best Beets! What do you usually add to beet smoothies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well berries and beets go very well together of course. Apples, ginger, any kind of citrus fruit really. Can you get beet juice on a bottle in NY? WELL OF COURSE YOU CAN. It's hard to find here though. You don't want to drag the old juicer up every time.. :))

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.