Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rising Sun Smoothie

Ever since seeing Shenandoah Vegan's Rising Sun smoothie from Everlasting Life Cafe, I knew I needed to recreate it. I've been looking to find tasty ways to ingest spirulina, and who doesn't love a good green smoothie in the morning?


I've been making one of these fairly regularly (once a week or so) and experimenting with amounts and ratios. Here's how I've found I like it best:

1.5 T molasses
1.5 T tahini
juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 2 tsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 T coffee
1 tsp spirulina
dash of nooch
1 large handful spinach
1 frozen banana, sliced
1/2 inch knob of ginger or 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 to 1 cup water



In a glass, mix molasses through nooch by stirring with a spoon. I only do this separately because I don't have a fancy blender and both the tahini and molasses sink to the bottom and it's hard to clean. Otherwise you can skip this. Put spinach in blender and cover with frozen banana pieces. Push down a bit and pour molasses mixture over the spinach and banana. Top with water, starting with 1/4 cup. Blend away to desired thickness. Drink!
Sometimes I don't add the coffee, in which case I'll add extra lemon and ginger. I know coffee with lemon sounds odd but I like it.

12 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds like a great smoothie! I have to be creative with my blender too because it is pretty crappy. I don't use chia seeds in my smoothies anymore because the cleanup is so annoying!

    Looks like you did a great job recreating it! Gorgeous color! A month ago I would say "me I don't like a green smoothie in the morning!" What a difference a month can make, I'm loving them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. . .I have everything minus spirulina. I can buy it in small amounts, yes? I bet it tastes great, and sounds like a healthy combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Coffee AND spirulina! A smoothie for the brave one. But I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds right up my alley! I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious. I love tahini, molasses and spirulina. I bet they taste great together. I need to get my butt to the co-op for more spirulina so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VAVA, mine is the same with chia seeds! Such a bummer. Actually, when I used protein powders I had the same problem - do you add it last to your smoothies?

    Ingrid, you know, I've never seen sample size spirulina but they SHOULD make those. If you're curious, I can mail you some but Shen never mentioned spinach in the original recipe so maybe the spirulina isn't necessary if you use spinach? Spirulina is another one of those "gotta get used to it" flavors so I wouldn't want you to buy a huge bottle!

    malin, I feel like a brave Amazon warrior after drinking it :)

    S&S, in that case, I like YOUR style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to get more molasses into my diet. Did you see the posting on Happy Herbivore on the purported evils of smoothies? Now I don't know what to think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a fancy blender, either. Someday maybe, right? I would love to have green juices/smoothies for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, well done! Sounds like a quite a combo, like it would really get you going in the morning. I like the sound of the lemon and coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That drink looks like something that would make me happy to see the sun rise rather than set. I'll try tossing the ingredients in the smoothie maker to see if it comes close to the actual thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nikki, tahini and molasses are SO good together. Thought you might like another green drink in yr repertoire :)

    Stacy, yeah molasses is really good for you! I love it. You mean the post she took down because it was a ridiculous and absurd argument? Yeah, I saw that.

    Blessed mama, someday for sure! Christmas present maybe.

    Rose, I wonder if that's from yr time wandering Europe. Don't the Italians drink their espresso with a lemon peel?

    Shen, I'd really like to hear what you think about it. You know better than anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the weirdest but most intriguing smoothie ever. I love tahini and molasses (especially blackstrap!) but I've never thought to add them to the mix. It sounds like a morning drink with oomph, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.