Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Third Tart's a Chard

(Actually the other two tarts were chards too.) The other day, I found myself with an open box of silken tofu and one lonely pie crust in the freezer. I decided to make a savory tart rather than a sweet pie and bulked it up with veggies because I wasn't sure I'd actually have enough tofu to fill the crust.


The technique and ingredients I used are very similar to the recipe I wrote out here, minus the fennel, soy milk (since I used silken firm tofu, not regular block firm tofu), nutmeg and oil. I sauteed the chard, onion, and garlic in water instead. I also added a generous teaspoon or so of red pepper flakes and chopped capers to the pan. The silken tofu was blended in a food processor with mustard, pepper, garlic powder, vital wheat gluten (could sub any flour, I'd think), nooch, salt, and lemon juice. I think that's all. Then I poured it into a defrosted but not blind baked crust and topped it with cherry tomatoes. Baked in a 350* preheated oven for not long enough. I did 40 minutes, but if I did it again, I'd go to almost 50, or until the crust browns. Let cool at least 1/2 and hour to set.


I had a slice for dinner and was pretty pleased, considering I winged the recipe. I do think the red pepper flakes are vital. I can see this being nice warmed for a brunch or breakfast. Even with all the greens in the tart, I needed more. With two chard leaves reserved for exactly this purpose, I rolled up two chard wraps as well:


With hummus, yellow bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and mushroom.


Greg took a small piece as well and enjoyed it, along with an almond butter-and-jelly sandwich, salad, water, pita chips, water, pita chips, his cookies for dessert, and a Walt Disney biography (by Gabler, he insists on me noting - "not another crappy version.") I don't think he ate it all at once, and I don't think he ate the book at all.
That is all.

18 comments:

  1. Ooooh that tart looks gooooood! And your hummus chard wraps looks SUPER good and colorful. I'm such a sucker for hummus it is kind of sad. G's plate looks yummy and carby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. vava are you calling me fat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. VAVA, I definitely loaded the hummus onto these wraps :) It's a dream food, isn't it?

    Greg, simmer down now. You're beautiful in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA. What a sweet thing for you to say to Greg, Maud. Carby meals are the b-e-s-t.
    Best.

    Anyway, rad looking tart you have going on there. I made a similar thing a while ago and did the same - loaded it with veggies instead of using a buttload of tofu. I have to say though, yours looks much more appetizing. Mine looked like mush.

    Did I tell you that I have a whole draw in my fridge dedicated to different brands and flavours of hummus? Because I do. I'm the only one with permission to go in it. It's pretty sacred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been nervous to wing a quiche, but yours seems to have turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you reading my mind? I was just pondering how best to fit in more leafy greens, and thought a tart/quiche-like application might be ideal. Bet I could even get the picky eaters of the family to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cut of your wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure which I like better: the pics of the delicious looking tart (I'm a sucker for savory) or the title of this post. Love both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the title of this post.. and the tart is my kind of tart.. my chard and kale end up in every dish i make.. and since all look like wilted spinach, no one asks about it :) i love savory tart.. i am not too much of a sugar person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, a savory tart! That does sound perfect for a breakfast / brunch scenario! The chard wrap sounds spectacular, and spectacularly healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope that G/Greg got some Water and Pita Chips with his dinner.

    Also, I would think following Mike Judge, Trey Parker or Seth McFarlane would be of greater benefit to his career. (It's okay for an animator to be hefty, I'm sure Hanna and Barbera weren't what one would call 'lookers').

    Is this your blog or G/Gregs? Why am I commenting on him?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how pretty tomatoes are once they have been roasted. And, I like the title of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great tart, especially since you winged the recipe! I bet it tasted as great as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isobelle, Greg wants to know more about this magical hummus drawer. Brands, flavors, etc.

    Thanks Dianne. Do it, I dare ya!

    Hannah, and you will probably make yrs look a lot more appetizing too.

    Thanks, Stacy! I like the cut of your jib.

    Ha! Thanks Jennifer. The title took me a long time to come up with. Far longer than it needed to.

    Thanks Richa. I too sneak as many greens as I can into everything!

    Ingrid, very happy chard wrap.

    Shen, this is my blog and don't you forget it!

    Tahinitoo, me too! They are so funny and wrinkly!

    Blessed mama, thank you. G seems to like it. That's all I can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK! Here it goes:

    I have all 3 flavours of these (my favourite):
    http://wildgarden.biz/Products.htm
    All 3 of these:
    http://www.tribehummus.com/products/tribe-organic
    1 of these:
    https://sabra.com/products/Spinach-and-Artichoke-Hummus - (so good!)
    I have the classic one of this:
    http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/newprod.asp

    And then I have three of my own jarred up hummus flavours - garlic & kale, broccoli and garlic & onion. Sometimes I have to freeze some because I have so many.

    My friends say I'm addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha Greg, I'm definitely not calling you fat, I'm saying you have great taste! You have a bunch of my favs on that plate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding the tomatoes was a great idea. But, even without them the tart sounds really good. I need to make more tarts — don't you just love the word, "tart?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isobelle, he thanks you for the info. He id doing some serious research right now, hahaha.

    Andrea, thanks! They didn't add much flavor but they are fun. I DO love the word tart, almost as much as "loaf."

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.