Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, January 13, 2012

Raw Cleanse, day 5: Eating Out

Hey guys. I've already explained how going out to eat stresses me out but G has fallen off the raw wagon and what better way to reinvigorate him than with well made and beautifully executed raw food? For that, we turned to a restaurant. There are only so many sheets of untoasted nori I can hand the guy.
We're lucky to have more than one all-raw restaurant in New York and last month, one of the best (okay - the only one I've tried before - last time G and I were raw cleansing) offered a Groupon! I bought a deal for $20 for $40 dollars worth of food at Quintessence, which is nice because as you may know or figure, the bill at a raw restaurant can rack up quickly. I almost ruined this outing for us both, for reasons I don't want to get into, but lo and behold we ended up at Quintessence on a blustery 29-degree Friday night on a date like normalish people!
Of course I had perused the menu beforehand so we were seated in the small, warmly colored, calmly scented space and we were ready to order:



I got the Buddha Bowl, a top-yr-own salad of "mixed green, kale, tomato, cucumber, sunflower sprouts, and onion." I added marinated portabella mushrooms, olives, and avocado. With house dressing, which is a green herby-lemon-and oil dressing. Most people will say that when they eat out, they want to get something they can't make themselves. I understand that but I err on the side of "better safe than sorry." I know I love salads, so why not get something I'll like? Especially if a restaurant who specializes in raw, organic, fresh, high-quality food can most likely do it best.
G also got something he often enjoys - though not raw - the Mexican platter (he also opted for the less-obvious option of no flash photo):




An enchilada made of a "golden flax and corn tortilla filled with "refried beans", "cheese", tomato and lettuce drenched with mole sauce and finished with a dollop of "sour crème" paired with a tostada. Served with Guajillo chili sauce and garlic scallion wild rice." Also came with a side salad. He liked the tostada best, not being enthralled with only the sprouted wild rice. This is the first dish I have seen G take his time with and actually be filled by.
And, date night it would not be without:




Dessert. Raw tiramisu, which I may or may not have bullied G into selecting. Dude wanted ice cream, WTF? It was pretty good. The creamy topping was silky and delicious and the chocolate layer in the middle was deep and rich. The bottom "ladyfinger" layer was made of nuts, I assume. The texture was pretty good but lacking in the coffee flavor I love in traditional tiramisu.
A good time. I really recommend this place if you're in the city and want fresh, well-made delicious dishes and don't want to feel weighed down by it. It is kind of expensive, but they do have lunch specials and the food is very high-quality. They also have brunch! Brunch!

21 comments:

  1. Neat! woo for going out to eat and still eating raw!

    A raw restaurant opened up in Tacoma (the next city over) ages ago and I still haven't made the trip yet. I'm just weird about people making my food too I guess. Maybe one day.

    I think that your dish sounds and looks the best (nothing against G's taste in food) though it looks like a whole lot of food, to me. Oh and I'm in the process of sprouting sunflower seeds for the first time too. I'm excited to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I remember checking out their website after you posted about your last trip there and it sounds so good! Your salad looks really delicious! How were the marinated mushrooms? I've been debating marinating some...do they really have a cooked texture? And obviously you can't go wrong with avocado!

    G's dish looks tasty as well! And the raw tiramisu looks divine. Yum! It totally seems worth braving the blustery weather. And yay for brunch! Brunch is by far the best meal! I'll have to check out their brunch menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Buddha Bowl looks and sounds amazing! It all does for that matter. Raw food is so creative and resourceful...artful even. The tiramisu is impressive; totally looks like the real deal. To bad about the coffee dimension was lacking, but eventhough, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: raw desserts rock. I hope to be in the city someday; I'll definitely take your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're still on the wagon!! *cheering on* Thanks for a great restaurant-tip in NY! Will definitely go there next time. Love all your raw cleanse post. Always fun to see what people EAT! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a restaurant in Denver that hosts a raw food night once a week, I'll have to remind myself about it (it's like a Tuesday night or something) and try it out!

    Raw tiramisu?! Oh dear! Bet it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review. I like to eat salads out if they can compete with my homemade ones. Sometimes, they are just too bare. But, yours looks fabulous! G's meal sounds just great, too, and I'm so glad he was filled up. The tiramisu looks scrumptious. Glad you had a good time - that's what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That raw dish looks so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salad looks smashing, and yes, it is too cold for ice cream right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful salad (especially the Avocado and dressing). This is a great advertisement for Quintessence.

    Doesn't G know you don't like Ice Cream? (Although, you do like eating with a plastic orange ice cream scoop, so that could be confusing).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE their tiramisu!!!!
    Looks SO amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i should find a raw restaurant around here.. everything looks soooo goood! who wouldnt want those enchiladas and the tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been eying that menu for months now, I've really gotta get down there and try it already! The Buddha bowl probably would be my pick, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That raw tiramisu is making me drool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I just wanted to mention here that I like to add zucchini to my tuna pate since it adds bulk but not fat. Lots of pates tend to be really heavy in my belly, and zucchini totally lightens it up without changing the flavor.

    And it's so true that raw restaurants tend to do the best salads...in fact, I try to avoid salads at regular restaurants, because they're usually really skimpy and uninspired. But raw foodies usually know how to make a hefty meal-sized salad full of flavor! Hope you and Greg had a lovely date night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That raw tiramisu looks really yummy. And a good compromise to bring along a partner who isn't as keen on cleansing as you are :)

    I responded to your question on my blog, but in case you don't pop back - we eat sweet potato raw in salads when it is either grated or cut *really* thinly with a veggie peeler. It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That salad looks awesome!! Huge and full of lots of yummy ingredients--sometimes the best things are the dishes you can make at home but would rather have someone else throw together :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Maud! You may want to check my latest post...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd probably do what you did and get the salad. It looks fresh and filling, and the mushrooms add just the right amount of "extra."

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loooovvveee quintessence! You must go back for brunch- i had the raw tacos that were to die for, and split the "bagel with cream cheese" with my friend- really delicious, and a great green juice too. Ahhh, ive got to go back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i ate there once. i think it was my first official raw meal. i wish i could become inspired enough to do a 90 day raw detox.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.