Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Raw Cleanse, day 4

Yellow fellows.
Today's breakfast was NOT chia, holla. Instead, I give you a gross smeary photo of a delicious smoothie:


It was rainy today and pretty impossible to get any decent photos. This smoothie was spinach, an orange, frozen cranberries, ginger, and orange juice. Tasty.
Lunch was another Gena dish (big surprise!):


marinated collards with broccoli, spinach, red pepper, onion, sundried tomatoes, avocado, hemp seeds. I made a couple additions and substitutions as I was planning a collard salad in my head anyway, but once I saw Gena's recipe, I trusted her salad knowledge. And, oh, she's got lots.
Unpictured snacks were a banana, dates with raw almond butter, and a Mountain Mint Wildbar. I know I wanted to stay away from premade raw snacks and bars but...I couldn't. The bar was really good and its nutrition stats are pretty awesome. Far fewer calories than most raw bars I see, and nowhere near as sweet, with tons of vitamin power. I'm a fan. I was also getting tired and a bit of a headache late in the afternoon from either lack of caffeine or something else but it went away after the bar, so, yay for raw cacao.
Dinner was more collard wraps:


with carrots, zucchini, chopped broccoli, both fresh AND sundried tomatoes, red pepper, and a schmear of raw cashew alfredo (the stuff's pretty thick - about the consistency of ricotta cheese.) Two bites or so in I noticed a bitsy inchworm crawling on the outside of the collard leaf! Eek and ack. I hope he was the only one! Cute but not in my belly, no thank you.
Dessert was three dates - two with raw almond butter and cocoa powder and one with ginger powder. Super tasty and a distraction from G's Ginger Newman-Os on the kitchen table.
Go get yr green on.

18 comments:

  1. Your smoothie sounds really good! I'm missing the citrus right now. Your salad looks super delicious and thanks for reminding me that I need to check out Gena's site! Your wrap looks good too, yay for sun-dried tomatoes! I LOVE sun-dried tomatoes, as I'm sure you can tell! Yikes with the worm discovery! I remember finding a little inchworm on a blackberry a few years ago and I was off of blackberries for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you not eat citrus on the cleanse? Wicked bummer. Ick, yeah, there are all sort of nooks and crannies on blackberries that scare me.

      Delete
  2. ack! i'm eating baby carrots as i read this and the inchworm part made me shudder. hopefully that was the only one!

    the wrap looks great and i love the combo in your smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! The smoothie was going for a "healthy cranberry sauce" vibe. Didn't quite get there, but it was good.

      Delete
  3. I liked catching up on your cleanse. With all the cleansing going on I'm considering taking the plunge for a week or two. Especially since I've been craving greens like they're crack lately. Maybe my body's telling me something.

    Anyways, yum yum yum, your food looks great. Gena has awesome recipes and she's another one of those salad people that I look to for awesome ideas.

    I've done a cleanse with another person before and have been the one responsible for making most of the food. It's definitely different when you're taking two people into consideration. I had to do a lot more planning. Hope G has a good experience and feels some of the benefits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when people crave greens! That's the way things should be.

      Delete
  4. The wrap looks so yummy. I remember one time cutting kale and noticed something weird... turns out I chopped up a snail along with the leaves! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god! That sounds HORRIBLE! Ugh. I am so sorry.

      Delete
  5. Wow; I miss a few posts and come back to find that one of the healthiest bloggers I read is cleansing! Kind of, no DEFINITELY makes me feel like a slacker in the healthy eating dept.

    P.S. When I'm grossed out by something found on my produce, I like to gross myself out even more by considering that whoever prepares my food in a restaurant isn't inspecting it nearly as closely. Sometimes it's nice to share. Sometimes it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, well, it's more about getting the alcohol out of my system, and flushing it out with greeeeen. You may not have the same "problem."

      Delete
  6. As you know, we garden a fair amount, and when you do so, you can't help but find critters in your food. You just hope you find them *before* it's "too late." Once I actually microwaved a rather large, green cabbage worm that was hiding in some kale, and I didn't find it until post-cooking. This may be disgusting, but I just picked him and forced myself to not think about it.

    The wraps look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Stacy! microwaved worm! I'm going to think about that next time I need to fast or diet.

      Delete
  7. The biggest problem I have with lots of raw bars and snacks is that they're ridiculously sweet - I guess maybe it's hard to change that when most are based on dried fruit and nuts. But I'd rather just eat fresh fruit.

    It always freaks me out to find insects in my food (usually dead), but then, it's kind of comforting at the same time, like your produce hasn't been sprayed to hell. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allysia, that's what G said. I was still a bit wary of the wraps but...it was dinner and waste not, want not.
      Yeah, these bars had actually no dried fruit in them! I guess they were more chocolate (or cacao) bars than fruit bars.

      Delete
  8. So much green! I need to make a green smoothie one of these days...yours sounds delish with the citrus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jes, the citrus really brightened the morning :)

      Delete
  9. As a vegan for ethical reasons, the carnage in this post is not to my amusement. Any updates on G's plans to hightail it out of the squirrely love nest due to your recent obsession with 'cleansing'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I told G to break up with me today and he said okay and I said "wait, wait, no" so.... so far he's stuck with me and vice versa. It's like a soap opera over here, but with more kale.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.