Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, January 6, 2012

A copy of a copy of a copy: Blood Orange-Olive Oil Loaf

Back around Thanksgiving, I think, I somehow stumbled onto this recipe for blood orange-olive oil loaf cake, based on this recipe, which is inspired by a Melissa Clark recipe! Got that? And since neither of those recipes were vegan but I was dying to bake this cake, I take it a step farther from the original recipe, making vegan substitutions.


The stars all really aligned for this cake. The day or so after I first came across the recipe, G came home from his parents' house with blood orange olive oil as a gift from his mom! Apparently an olive oil specialty store had just opened up in their town. Too perfect! (Thanks, Gerri!) All I had to do was wait...and wait...for blood oranges to finally appear in stores. I even considered using navel oranges, but I held off and a couple days ago I finally found some blood oranges!
So, this is not a healthy recipe by any means but G is quite pleased with it, as am I. The crust is just a little crunchy, the inside is perfectly moist, and the cake is delicately flavored. Here is my adaptation:


VEGAN Blood Orange Olive Oil Loaf

-zest from 2 blood oranges
-juice from 1 blood orange (1/4 c.)
-chopped segments from 1 blood orange
-3/4 c. vegan cane sugar
-1/4 c. rice milk
-1/2 c. plain, unsweetened vegan yogurt
-1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
-scant 1/2 c. olive oil (blood orange olive oil if you can get it!)
-1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
-1 TBS soy flour
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350*. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Combine zest and sugar in a large bowl, evenly distributing zest.
Add orange juice, rice milk, yogurt, applesauce, and olive oil into the sugar blend. mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. mix well.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just moistened. A few dry spots are fine. Fold in chopped orange segments.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and let bake for about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Take it out of the pan and let the loaf cool completely on a rack.
Slice and serve. This keeps very well, wrapped, in the fridge - though the crust doesn't stay as crunchy.



As it cooled and I pleaded with G to leave it alone a few more minutes, G says, "You know, you're lucky I'm not Homer Simpson right now, or that loaf would be gone by now." Lucky indeed.

21 comments:

  1. Not only does it sound amazing, it is beautiful as well! I've heard about olive oil cakes but have never tried them, but this one sounds really delicious! I'll have to bookmark this for when I'm not cleansing or I bet it would make a beautiful and delicious gift :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! This would pair nicely with a mug of tea. I think my partner is the closest clone to Homer Simpson (minus the big belly, balding head, and Duff Beer addiction...) considering treats are never safe when he is lurking near the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut. Up. This looks so good!!! I've been toying with the idea of baking my own bread (now only to stop myself from eating it all in less than two days). But when I'm ready for cake / loaf, I'll give this one a go! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crumb of the cake just looks so perfect — velvety, I'd say — and the bits of orange are beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM. Pretty and delicious looking. I'm way too fond of sweet breads. This one is getting the bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, it would be tough for me to not just eat all the blood oranges on the spot..but what a nifty idea for a bread! And blood orange olive oil? I had no idea such a thing even existed. I think my province of residence is a little too hick for a specialty store like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This loaf sounds fabulous and looks lovely in all of its golden, orange-speckled glory. The blood orange olive oil is definitely intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOmething about the fact that the recipe combines the words "vegan" and "blood" also works for me. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastically moist, soft crumb! I still haven't seen a single blood orange yet (serious, I think my local grocery stores just suck) but I'd still be just as thrilled to taste this beauteous loaf with regular oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a gorgeous looking baked treat! i haven't seen any blood oranges around here lately either, but i feel like it might be worth holding to make this. perfect for afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. VAVA, anyone would be a fool to turn this down as a gift. Speaking of which, kind of, I almost bought ginger newman-os to make yr ginger truffles today! maybe soon.

    Tahinitoo, I saw those treat monster googly eyes he has!

    Ingrid, homemade bread is the BEST! You'll enjoy it.

    Andrea, you're much better with words than I am. And thank you!

    Nikki, oh I love sweetbreads too! They are so easy and almost always delicious.

    Allysia, haha, I bought extra oranges to distract me from eating the ones meant for the cake. They are so good.

    Tiffany, much appreciated coming from a baker such as yourself!

    malin, thank you. It was, I assure you.

    Stacy, ha! I didn't even think of that. Quite clever.

    Hannah, oh I definitely kept an eye on the citrus bin everyday! The loaf would probably still work out well with regular oranges.

    Jess, thank you! It'd probably be great with Earl Grey...mmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Methinks Gerri wins the 'Cool MIL Award'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shen, Gerri's great - de facto, if not "de jure"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I love anything with oranges. My local grocery doesn't carry vegan yogurt, but I should plan a trip to Whole Foods sometime to get some so I can make this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This cake is so right up my alley! Love blood oranges and olive oil... and bread. This is definitely on my "to-bake" list. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe. My husband recently just brought home a gift of about 1 gallon of olive oil and I told him I should look for a olive cake recipe! :) Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to make this! I love olive oil quick breads, and since it is winter here, we have lots of great citrus (including Meyer lemons, Blood Oranges, Tangerines, Key Limes, etc. etc.) in the stores, and I bet this bread would be great with any of them!

    I got me some Blood Oranges for this, and I'm going to try to make it into my town to get the Blood Orange Olive Oil (I LOVE those specialty olive oil shops and I have one less than a mile from my house!!).

    I also need some jalapeno oil, so gotta get there!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love olive oil in quick breads.. and blood oranges.. yumm! the loaf has baked so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder what it would be like with seville oranges...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE breads made with olive oil. Especially citrus breads made with olive oil - cannot wait to try!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.