Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, December 30, 2011

Who Needs a Vacation?

When I was visiting relatives the day after Christmas, my uncle peered at me, asking, "Are you tan? Did you just come back from a trip?" I laughed because anyone who knows me knows I rarely leave the house except to go to work and come back. "No," I replied. "I think I just eat too many carrots." (My mother knows me - she asked if there was something wrong with my liver.) It's only a bit noticeable to me, maybe because I see my face every day but I definitely notice the orangey tint in my feet.
While it's perfectly normal and healthy, it is a little disconcerting and I've been trying to cut back on carrots but they're just so easy to eat. I was going to write up another recipe for last night's delicious dinner, thinking how nice it was to have two recipes in a row for you (if you were inclined to make them). Then I noticed that the last recipe was heavy on the carrots and this dish is orange too from the squash! There's no getting around it in the wintertime. Actually, it's hard to get around in general because apparently plenty of green vegetables will keep you orange too. I'll be orange until spring when I fade back to my creepy pallor.
Anyway, you guys don't need a recipe and I don't need a reminder about how much orange stuff I eat but this was a tasty (high in beta carotene and vitamin A) dish:


Raw chard shredded into a bowl, brown rice on top. In a skillet I heated onion and the last of some roasted kabocha squash. Since the squash was a bit dry, I poured in about 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and let it cook out a bit. Tossed in the rest of the roughly chopped chard leaves, a handful of cherry tomatoes, covered the pan, and let it cook for about 3 more minutes, just until the chard wilted a bit. Et voila.
I ate leftovers for lunch today. Tryouts for Oompa Loompas tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, you know what I'll be doing. What about you? Do you have any plans for New Years? Resolutions? Fun drinks?? Gimme somethin!

18 comments:

  1. I've heard about skin getting tinted from too many orange foods! I'm surprised I haven't turned into an oompa loompa or just a walking carrot. I guess just consider it a winter in NY tan ;)

    Your meal looks delicious and it is a free fake tan as a side effect. Maybe Snooki should just eat more carrots ha!

    Just chillin at home for New Years. I'm a homebody so the thought of going out in general, nevermind new years, isn't super appealing. I'll be relaxing with some delicious sweet wine and probably falling asleep before midnight....well hopefully! Hope you have a very happy new year, be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaat..your skin can get tinted? Man. I've never heard that. I eat mostly green stuff..
    I'll probably turn into the Green Giant or the Hulk over an Oompa Loompa, so I probably shouldn't try out.

    My plans for New Year's involve going to bed at my normal time and sleeping. Last year I went to this cool countdown in downtown though, and they had this huge metal cut out of the year 2011 that they set on fire at midnight and it was really bright. I went to a house party that night though too so that's the only thing I remember.
    I have nothing on resolutions yet. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VAVA, there are many things Snooki should do. Eating more carrots is one of them. Shutting her mouth is another. Happy new year to you too!

    Isobelle, countdown in downtown! How cool. Yah, house parties will do that to your memory, huh? I'm staying in too - that way there's only a limited number of people I can embarrass myself in front of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better an orange tint than a deathly pallor, I say!

    Our plans involve going out to eat for lunch and then snuggling with the girls while we watch a movie. I'm sure we'll be asleep before it even gets close to midnight, but we're old & rickety like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where does it say what you'll be doing tomorrow night? Has my reading comprehension gotten so bad?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a ridiculously pale woman, and I made a concerted effort to try to get that beta carotene glow this summer (I ate like 15 carrots a day), and nothing happened that I could tell. I'm jealous!

    I don't think we're going to do squat tonight, but that's fine with me. Some people I don't really like threatened to invite us over but never did, so I feel like we're getting off easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so your skin is kind of flipped 180 when it comes to color! Tan in the winter and creepy pallor when it warms up. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I had a friend in high school who used to try to get a tan by eating carrots! Too funny! Well, in your case an orange tint is definitely a sign of good health! But, you're probably a bit tall for the Oompas. I love these salads with a bit of cooked veg too.

    We don't have any plans as such...I might make a few cocktails. I love parties on New Year's Eve, but not too hot on going out to bars etc...too crowed in a bad way. Of course, we'll bang pans at midnight. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year's Eve! I guess I'm going to a party. That's the plan. But I might end up sleeping. Night time plans often turn into going to bed early these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, a little natural glow is good! Happy New Year's Eve! I'll be whipping up some yummy appetizers for a fun night in with my husband and cats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love carrots, but I guess I've not ingested enough to warrant a Snooki hue.

    There are four options on the table for this evening, I'm just waiting for my partner in crime to make a decision.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just out of curiousity, what color was the street sweeper when Mom was flitting round NYC back in her hey day? I'm working on a theory here....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh crap! I already commented on this post! Double comment! Erase one plese.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, when I was a baby (veganism came very naturally to me) all I would eat was mashed carrots, and I turned orange too. Come to think of it, I'm still a little orange-y, probably for the same reason you are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. molly, I want to get to sleep but Greg won't let me!

    Shen, it was subtle. I'm trying out for Oompas tonight. 6/10 for reading comp, bonus point for your million comments.

    Stacy, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I feel like I don't deserve this orangery! You can have it.

    Blessed mama, I always feel flipped 180*

    Rose, haha! I wonder if your friend became a nutritionist? And thank you, that's the first time anyone has every called me "a bit tall."

    Nikki, sleep should always win out.

    VB, sounds like my kind of night. Take some photos of those apps; you do it up well.

    Ingrid, four parties?! Little miss popularity over there! Have fun, whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zoa, yes! Apparently it's very prevalent in babies. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool! My kids would think it was super cool, as well. Take a picture of a portion of your skin and post it! I folded laundry last night until I went to bed. And I think I fell asleep before midnight. I'm such a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, Jenny, I'm not sure anyone wants to see a picture of my feet on a food blog! But if I could get away with it, I'd be in bed by midnight too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.