Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Salad, Oats, and So On

Thanks for the well wishes and good vibes, guys. I'm getting better, I think. You know, "This too shall pass."
Breakfast:
Soaked oat groats and chia, a banana, and a bloody smattering of cranberry-apple butter (from Trader Joe's). The cran-apple butter is really addictive. It's tart enough to stay interesting. I still have a crap ton of cranberries I hoarded around Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of making a syrup or something from them.

Big salad for lunch. G bought a huge (Florida) avocado, which is a bit different than the usual, small, Hass avos but still good. In this salad are said avocado, carrot, mushrooms, spinach, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Topped with balsamic, sriracha, and nooch. Snacked on an apple and a mint Jocalat bar at work as well.

Dinner was more lentil-corn chowder. Still not too curry-y but I added cayenne for heat. Big salad as well with spring mix, onion, olives, bell pepper, tomato, carrot, beets, chickpea, and avocado. With mustard-balsamic dressing. Also a rare slice of (unpictured) bread on the side. Not something I usually do but it was nice in the soup.
3 dried Turkish figs for dessert (Family sized tubs of figs and deglet dates on sale at Whole Foods!). Enjoy your weekend, guys.

11 comments:

  1. Cranberry Apple Butter at TJ's? Sounds cool. Don't know if I can brave TJ's the week before Christmas though. Last week, I saw something like Gingerbread PB in a jar, but didn't have time to focus on it too much, did you see it? I am stocking up on the Cinnamon Vanilla Black Tea that you turned me on to last Christmas.

    The Mustard Balsamic Dressing sounds interesting, what's that about?

    Glad you're pulling yourself together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of cherry apple butter before, but never cranberry. Yum! I've got to keep on the lookout for both of them because I adore apple butter.

    "This too shall pass" is a mantra that gets me through tough times a lot. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best parts about this time of year are the dates, dried figs and nuts that show up in abundance. It makes me so happy just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, sriracha and nooch: Is there anything they can't make delicious?
    Glad you are feeling better. In contrast to what the carol would have you believe, this is *not* the most wonderful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cranberry and apple sounds like a good combo for sure. I also like the idea of sriracha on salad...must try that.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I TOO HAVE A CRAP TON OF (frozen) CRANBERRIES! I don't know what to do with all of them?! Need like a suggestion list or something :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum. Glad I stopped by. Everything looks delicious. I especially love all of the oats and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cranberry apple butter, yum!! Sounds so amazing! Glad you are feeling a bit better. Everything looks really healthy, vibrant and delicious. I'm jealous of all of your soup, it looks so warm and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shen, I know! I have a couple things I wanted to pick up from TJs but I'd need to be there at like 8 am. I snagged more of that tea too; I really like it. Do you drink it with anything in it?
    Mustard balsamic dressing is...mustard and balsamic vinegar stirred in a jar. That's about it.

    Molly, you seem to have gotten yourself through a lot so I'll take your word on calm mantras.

    Allysia, I am stocking up...but they might not last long.

    Joe, I saw that. You're a jerk.

    Stacy, screw all carols!

    Rose, it's like a very spicy dressing if you mix it with other foodstuffs. I thought it was weird at first, but it is good.

    Malin, we can start a support group.

    Nikki, I miss your blog!

    VAVA, thanks. Gotta keep things vibrant to get rid of the winter greys, I guess, right? The soup was good but G thought it was too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Corn chowder would sure hit the spot right about now. I've never added lentils to mine though- Sounds like a great way to make it a bit more satisfying. I'll have to try your take on it next time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.