Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Calm

I figured out the layout problems and printed up a test copy of the poetry book yesterday and am pleased to say it went smoothly. With that weight off my shoulders I was able to focus on food a bit more.
Soaked oats and chia topped with banana and raw almond butter.

 Raw kale salad, chickpeas, and tahini-miso sauce.

Post-breakdown (and pre- another) the other night I met G and we went out and got burritos. Mine had steamed spinach, potatoes, guac, lettuce, radishes, tomato, and black beans. I ate half and saved half for last night's dinner with some steamed noochy broccoli.
I would also like to state for the record that although I usually cook for both G and I, he is completely capable of feeding himself and cooking a delicious meal. He raved about a pasta-artichoke-broccoli-vegan meatball-and sauce dish he made himself, whereas I ate plain old leftovers. I am much pickier than he is about what foods I don't eat (like pasta or fake meats) and I enjoy cooking more but that is not to say he's helpless in the kitchen. Not that you all suspected as much but we were talking about it earlier today. So there you have it.

Today's festive morning oatmeal. I was going for a gingerbread-y bowl. Cooked oats, slivered almonds, dried cranberries, powdered ginger, and a drizzle of molasses.

I picked this boxed pumpkin up the other day because it was on sale cheaper than canned pumpkin. I often feel a bit weird about BPA lining in cans (I only soak my own beans anymore - it's way cheaper too) and also the fact that it's suggested not to keep leftover pumpkin in the can, which I always end up forgetting about, causing the stuff to taste like metal. Boxes seem safer. Anyway, this Pacific brand tasted a bit different than the canned stuff I usually buy; it was a bit less sweet and more smoky, almost. It is also more liquidy and less dense than the canned pumpkin. It seemed best suited for a savory dish and so:

I sauteed some onion and garlic in a large skillet, added the (already cooked) chickpeas and let them cook through. I poured about half the box of pumpkin puree on top (6 oz./250g) and stirred. I tossed in some sliced cherry tomatoes and a bunch of torn kale, topped it off with salt and red pepper flakes, covered the dish and let it wilt. It was really delicious and almost creamy. I topped mine with a bit of nutritional yeast as well, and extra red pepper flakes.
Any good festive or seasonal meals for you all yet?

18 comments:

  1. Isn't the BPA thing awful?! For me, the big loss will be canned tomatoes. We use them a lot during the winter and after our own canned stash runs out, I'm going to have to find some of the boxed kind. Everything looks tasty as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you got your poetry book sorted out.
    Your pumpkin meals looks so comforting. I might have to make something similar once I start eating properly again.

    Hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an original pumpkin dish! I bet it was creamy, and went really well with the tomatoes and chickpeas. Say...I make this sort of thing as a stew with chunks of winter squash, but yeah, the puree thing would work too, for sure!

    Every meal's a fiesta at my place! It's the holidays that are so traditionally boring (sorry, *comforting*) (food-wise) in my family and all samey. It's a good meal, but I've now eaten it, my god, gulp, 94 times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pumpkin creation looks awesome!

    no festive meals for us yet, just christmas cookies so far. i don't know if we will even cook a christmas dinner since we'll be traveling. but i'll still enjoy looking at everyone else's feasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pic #3 is a half of a reheated Burrito? Kinda..hmmmm....

    Glad you're enjoying being inbetween highs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the book binding worked out.

    Cooking your own beans is definitely the way to go. Not only do get lots of them at a time, but I think the taste and texture are far better generally than canned. Having said that, I do used canned in an unplanned pinch. Eden Organic is BPA free, but sometimes I wonder whether any of the food packaging is safe these days.

    One of my favorite dishes is kale with sauteed mushrooms and tomatoes: A BlessedMama creation, adding chickpeas would put it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the tahini miso raw kale dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin puree, or canned pumpkin looks so strange to me, I don't even think that it exist here, but I guess that we can buy pumpkins all year round and everywhere, and they are easy to mush :-).

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were able to get everything worked out with your poetry book!

    That burrito looks gigantic & sounds really good. I've never seen pumpkin in a container like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy, agreed. Tomatoes are actually supposed to be the worst since they're so acidic! What a bummer to miss out from September to June!

    Isobelle, that's right - are you doing a juice fast? Master Cleanse? I forget...

    Zoa, that sounds great too. What is the liquidy part of the stew? Broth? Tomato juice?

    Sara, that sounds wonderful to not have to worry about cooking a meal.

    Shen, it wasn't even reheated! Cold burrito, so sad but it was way too big to eat at once.

    Rose, true. Canned beans definitely win with convenience. How many times have I gone to bed thinking, "Damn! I forgot to presoak." I've got to find Blessed Mama's meal! I looove sauteed mushrooms.

    Aimee, thanks. I did too :)

    Alessandra, haha, easy to mush! Sounds delicious. My mom cooks her own pumpkins to save for me...I should go pick that up today, that reminds me.

    Molly, the burrito was huge! Also tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I'm glad you figured out the layout! Your food looks amazing as always. I have to agree, your second round of oats do look quite festive AND I am having MAJOR burrito envy. That thing looks AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been trying to avoid canned food especially during my pregnancy. The only exceptions I've made are black olives and a couple of cans of pumpkin. I then began baking my own pumpkins for pie. However, I did see the box pumpkin on my last shopping trip and bought 4 boxes since it was on sale. I hope it will work for pies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW, if you have a crockpot, they are the best for cooking dried beans. Just rinse + dump them in the crock in the AM, and you will have beans ready to go by the early PM!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just eating 80% fruitarian..and 20% steamed vegetables for December. Haha, not really any type of cleanse or anything. I just don't feel like making meals for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay on the poetry book!
    You make oatmeal look so appealing. My oatmeal never looks like that. It will taste good, but never look that good.
    Everything else looks amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the holiday oatmeal bowl & am going to steal it soon for breakfast! Um...thanks for the reminder about leaving leftover pumpkin in the can. I have some in my fridge now...I should know better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, your last picture proves that kale can go with pretty much everything! Though kale and pumpkin isn't so far of a stretch. I mean, they're in season around the same time. Glad to hear things are going better with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your tahini mustard dressing recipe. I've been looking for a new tahini dressing so will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.