Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Today's Food

Yep, back to the usual.
Breakfast: Overnight soaked oats and chia with pumpkin, fig jam, and cacao nibs.


Yep, right next to my scotch tape.
Lunch was delicious! Props to Sarah for inspiring me to pick up a spaghetti squash from the farmers market. I roasted it up last night and also steamed some kale and beet greens:


Topped with garlicky marinara sauce and, after this photo, lots of nooch and black pepper. So good!
Dinner was a big salad (greens, beets, cucumber, carrots, tomato, bell pepper, and artichokes - can you tell we're on an artichoke kick?) and a bowl of cabbage and cauliflower that I cooked up with the pav bhaji masala mix. Like I said, Hannah's samosa dish got me craving Indian food!



The cabbage/cauliflower was unbelievably spicy - more spicy than flavorful, actually. I didn't add any oil or salt but there was garlic and ginger in the pot too, so I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe a little salt would have been good. My mouth was burning so I threw some leftover orzo in the bowl too.
Unpictured food today was an apple, a banana, half of an energy bar (shared with G), and dessert - three dates with pumpkin and almond butter. Yup, pretty full.
What is your favorite Indian dish? Alright, guys, hope you're having a good night and weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Too bad the cabbage & cauliflower dish was too spicy. I love spicy foods, but not when it overpowers any other taste.

    Neither Mike or I are fans of Indian food.... We feel like vegan rejects because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pick up a spaghetti squash. Funny you should ask about favorite Indian dishes. I love Indian food when we cook it at home, but whenever I go to an Indian restaurant I always order aloo gobi. Always. I can't seem to stop myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetables with marinara sauce, should try that, sounds interesting :-)

    Ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a hot-food lover, so the cabbage and cauliflower probably would've been fantastic! I find that a little coconut water on hand helps with the heat.

    I don't know why, but I do have a fear of beets. Maybe it's the red color? Can't say I know what they taste like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that cauliflower looks delicious, albeit spicy! my favorite indian dish is korma! i reviewed a great recipe on my blog this past week for it. oh man. so creamy! but really, i love all indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've contracted spaghetti squash fever from you!
    Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for spaghetti squash! Yours looks so good! And fig jam?! That sounds like and amazing addition to morning oats! I have to say that the oats are the one thing I'm really missing during this cleanse but just over a week and they'll be back in my life :) Your salad is so vibrant and beautiful, like always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah got me in the mood for spaghetti squash too! I must pick one up. Lots of great veggies there! Maybe you can cool down the cauliflower by adding some coconut milk or plain soy yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly, it took me a long time to like Indian food but now I love it!

    Andrea, I loooove aloo gobi! I used to get that a lot too. So perfect.

    Alessandra, it's pretty good! And super simple. It actually goes with almost everything, I find.

    Ingrid, coconut water would have been good. I had regular water but it doesn't help! Beets are so great! You should try them grated up. I think the color is really fun, though I do like my salad to not be completely pink...

    AVR, I saw yr recipe, it does look great! I don't think I've ever had korma but I want to give the one in AFR a try.

    Stacy, give in to the fever!

    VAVA, the fig jam is actually from Trader Joes! It's really good. You're tough; I'd never be able to give up oats.

    Rose, great idea, thanks. Once I get the energy to leave the house I'll pick some yogurt up. I wonder if I could make a lassi with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cocoa Nibs for Breakfast? That is a party in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.