Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipe: Root Slaw

Helllooooo! (like Mrs. Doubtfire) Another beautiful and unseasonably warm fall day here today, which is absolutely crazy. I was out running errands this morning and so happy to be enjoying the sunshine. When I got back, I was hungry but hot and didn't want to cook anything, but I did want to use up the root vegetables from the farmers market the other day.
Almost all root vegetables can be eaten raw as well as cooked, despite their hardiness. It is simply a matter of chopping, grating, or processing the vegetable to an edible and palatable size. Obviously, you don't want to try to just take a bite out of a raw celeriac (or maybe you do and you have really strong chompers, I don't know.) So, for Ingrid, who was looking for uses for celeriac and inspired by Stacy's WORLD'S BEST MUSTARD, I bring you:


Spicy Celeriac Slaw with Apples
                                     Serves 6-8 as a side

2 apples, sliced thinly (I used Braeburn, a more tart apple would work just as well)
1 celeriac, peeled and grated (about 1.5 cups)
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 c. chopped red onion
1 TBS tahini
2 TBS mustard (I only had Dijon but a coarser grained mustard would probably be better)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
juice from 1 lemon, about 2 TBS
dash of turmeric (optional, more for color)
dash of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

-Put all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss to combine.
-In a small separate bowl, mix tahini, mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice. Pour over vegetables (as well as you can - this is a thick "dressing"), add spices, and mix together.

I served this over some spinach and some chopped tempeh. I didn't prepare the tempeh in any way, but it would be nice cooked as a bit of textural crunch. Alternately, some chopped walnuts would be good in the slaw for both protein and crunch.


I hope you all are also able to enjoy the weather, or at least some delicious winter root vegetables!

16 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for bestowing the recognition that my mustard so rightly deserves :). That salad dressing sounds like just the ticket, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting combination of ingredients! I love stuff like this because it usually turns out to be so good. I'm not a fan of mustard, but in dressings like this I don't mind it. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this is super creative! I've never tried celeriac, this sounds like a great way to try it!

    And from the last post, I'll prob try making regular bagels for the first go around then I'll start experimenting with gluten free. Just want to get the process down before I mess with ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! That dressing seems super tasty...I haven't bought a celeriac bulb yet this year, so it's high time I did. I think this slaw will make to a table near me very soon...may even take it to impress the folks at Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, this looks beautiful and fresh, even to me enveloped in a sno-cone of a blizzard right now. Mustard I could eat right out of the jar, any kind of mustard, I like them all and am not snobby or fussy, so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the second person I've seen eat tempeh "as is"; why didn't I ever think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, l want to eat that. Tahini is great in dressings. Actually root vegetables is the only vegetables that are in season all year round in Sweden. And especially now in the winter...it's ALL we got. So I'm gonna keep this recipe in mind. :)) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two Tablespoons of Dijon?! Wooh! My sinuses are opening up just thinking about it. I like the combo idea of Tempeh & Apples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good...the dressing especially!
    I never knew tempeh could be eaten right out of the package. Again, I learned something new today. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray! And very expeditious in your recipe posting promise. :) Thank you! I have the majority of these ingredients, so I will pick up the missing few (i.e. celeriac), and give it whirl. . .er, shred.

    I'm about to start _The Alchemist_ for book club, but I haven't enjoyed anything I've picked since finishing _The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest_ about six weeks ago. Sounds like the one you mentioned is worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like this hearty slaw.. and i'd love some walnuts on it..
    its dreary and cold out here... so i am keeping the recipe for warmer days. gotta just keep sipping some hot soup!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stacy, I'm on any tahini-mustard sauce ticket. Tahini for VEEP. (Or do you have a Prime Minister in Canada?)

    Molly, yeah, the "toss in whatever, sauce it, and eat" theme works for me.

    VAVA, I could actually hardly taste the celeriac here, but not a bad dish all together.

    Rose, work some of your magic on it before you think about serving it for Thanksgiving! I hadn't thought that far ahead, I was just hungry...

    Zoa, definitely all over the mustard too. I could have made this recipe Mustard with Mustard sauce, and been happy.

    Abby, maybe because you're less lazy than I? I just don't like dirtying 2 more pans when I can just slice it straight out of the package!

    Malin, Sweden sounds perfect, as long as there is tahini.

    Shen, thanks! Actually both the "raw" tempeh and the apple temper the spice of the mustard so it's less potent than you might think....though the cayenne sort of takes care of the rest of it.

    Michelle, thank you :) I think the only dressing from now on will be tahini based. And that's a rule

    Ingrid, thanks for the inspiration. I bet a whirl in the food processor would work as well as a grater!

    Richa, I need to pick up some walnuts, otherwise I'd have tried it already. I've got a warmer root veg recipe coming up for you inside a snow globe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, I really like how there's so much going on with this salad! Winter salads can be tough, but this recipe will certainly come in handy not too far down the road. Crunchy, tangy, creamy, spicy... Just for starters. Adding tempeh is a great way to make a meal of it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. FF-This looks excellent. Definitely something I'd like to make!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Slaw w/ tempeh sounds perfect for these weird-o warm days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Hannah, crunchy and creamy are in delicate balance ;)

    Aimee, why thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

    Jes, yes, tempeh should go in every salad ever.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.