Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Food, Including "Almost Tabbouleh"

But not quite.
I woke up early today, but only by clock standards. It was nice to feel like I had extra time this morning but as soon as the sun went down I realized how depressing it is for it to be pitch black at 5:30. Since breakfast time felt leisurely, I actually took the time to cook my oatmeal, rather than eat cold, presoaked oats.


Although I actually prefer soaked oats because I like my oats drier than this, this sure was creamy. Quick steel cut oats cooked with pumpkin and almond butter, banana, and fig jam.
Lunch was a cabbage/cauli bowl mixed with Hannah's samosa filling and a couple cubes of tofu:



Rose, thanks for the soy yogurt idea. This bowl was a little less hot than last night due to the potatoes and tofu, but that's all gone now and I imagine soy yogurt would be great on top of the rest of the cauliflower.
And dinner, a salad that reminded me of tabbouleh, if the ingredients were super chunk sized:


This is spelt berry (rather than bulgur) based. I added white beans for protein, chopped tomato, garlic, onion, and zucchini (rather than cucumber.) I didn't have any parsley, though that would have been most welcome, as would some chopped black olives. After mixing all the ingredients together, I tossed it with lemon juice, a bit of balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.


I liked this a lot. It was really filling as well as chewy and nutty from the spelt berries. Those were leftover from a MoFo recipe, but I may buy them more often now.

So, what did you do with your extra hour today?

10 comments:

  1. Whoa, everything looks great! I love your oatmeal combinations, you always change it up. Mine are the same old standard combos...I should try and branch out when I add oats back. Your salad/tabbouleh sounds AMAZING. I love that it is chunkier, and it looks so hearty! And I agree, it is so depressing that it gets dark at 5:30 now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, too. It is depressing that it gets dark so early! I'd much rather we didn't turn the clocks back.

    I meant to try oatmeal with pumpkin this morning and forgot to. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat oatmeal often, but I like mine on the dry side too. The cooked stuff looks nice and creamy though, and lots of good stuff in there as per usual!

    Hope the soy yogurt works if you try it. Should do, it'll dilute the flavor while adding a little richness/sweet and not making it watery.

    I like the idea of spelt berries...I know I've had them, just can't remember when. Great twist on tabouleh, but agreed that parsley would have been the midas touch on the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and with the extra hour...I'm following your enormously appealing suggestion on Shen's blog yesterday and am using it to eat...well, and to sleep. I'm really taking two extra hours!

    On a side note, I was listening to Car Talk recently and they expounded the the theory that it might be interesting to go on Daily Time Savings...namely, put the clock ahead every day @ 4:00pm, so it then was 5 and time to punch the card and go home. Then at 4:00am, put the clock back...compensate with extra sleep. Sounds good to me. Though, it would really suck for folks that work nights!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your food looks good, but I mostly want to say that yes, I had the same reaction to the time change. Felt pretty good, right up until it was dark at 5:30. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about the time change completely (this happens to me pretty much every time it changes, I need some more RAM in my brain) so I was up early anyway, doing a blog post and thinking how slowly the time was passing and then with a pang wondering if I was going insane when I looked at the clock on the stove and it was suddenly 8:30, and then checking my watch to confirm, and *then* wondering if it could be something like a time change. Gah, you know you're getting old when. I'm on holidays this week, I have nine days off + 1 hour! Yay! That oatmeal looks great. I eat oatmeal all the time but rarely mix it up with other stuff like you do. Why not? I need to step out of my oatmeal box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VAVA, I mostly change my oatmeal according to what I have. I was out of bananas that morning!

    Molly, the pumpkin is great in oatmeal. It fills you up and makes it really thick.

    Rose, Car Talk is great! They're pretty funny guys. The plan for daily time saving is okay by me.

    Stacy, bleh is right! I am incapacitated by darkness apparently and it is no fun.

    Zoa, DST is especially weird because some clocks (cell phones and computers) reset themselves and some you have to manually change and I never know which ones I've changed! Lucky you with yr vacation, I'll have to settle for the +1 hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spelt Berries are a new one on me. Tofu is a good idea to mix in with the Samosa Potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chunk sized tabbouleh sounds perfect to me--I never like how everything gets minced so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your oatmeal sounds yummy, especially with the fig jam in it!
    The Almost Tabbouleh sounds very good. I don't have spelt berries, but I do have wheat berries....hmmmm :o)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.